Dont click if you are looking for good news.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by DISCO, Dec 3, 2009.

1. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

ANAHEIM — A 9-year-old Anaheim boy riding his red bicycle home from school was hit and killed by a Ford F-250 pickup truck this afternoon. It appears to have been nothing more than a tragic accident, authorities said.
    Police and paramedics were called at 2:30 p.m. a boy riding a bicycle who had been hit by a truck at Orangewood Avenue and Loara Street, Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez said.

The boy, who has not been publicly identified, was taken to UCI Medical Center in Orange in critical condition. The boy died a short time later, Martinez said.
    He had been on his way home from school when he was hit, Martinez said. He was wearing a helmet.
    Martinez said the driver of the raised truck was headed westbound on Orangewood and stopped at a stop sign. Seeing the truck stopped, the boy was apparently trying to cross the street in front of the truck when he was hit. The driver of the truck said he never saw the boy on the bike, Martinez said.
    "This is just an ugly, ugly accident," Martinez said. "Just a few seconds would have changed lives forever."
    The driver was interviewed by detectives after the crash. No one has been cited.
    Orangewood Avenue will be closed for several hours from Loara to Euclid streets while investigators try to piece together the accident, Martinez said.
    Bicycles are involved in more childhood injuries than any other consumer product except automobile, according to Safe Kids, an international group dedicated to preventing accidental childhood injuries and death.
    More than 70 percent of children between 5 and 14 years old – an estimated 27.7 million – ride bicycles, according to Safe Kids. Children ride their bikes 50 percent more than the average bike rider and account for 21 percent of all bicycle-related deaths and nearly half of bicycle-related injuries, the organization said.
    In 2001, 134 children ages 14 and under died in bicycle-related crashes. In 2002, nearly 288,900 children under the age of 14 were sent to emergency rooms for bicycle-related injuries, according to Safe Kids.
    The boy's family was with him at the hospital, but authorities are holding off on releasing his name until his classmates can be told Friday at school about his death, Martinez said.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/struck-222321-critical-bicyclist.html

2. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

SO sad. Prayers to the boy's family

3. KimoSabe

KimoSabe I can't climb

Raised truck + "never saw the boy on the red bike"??????.......???????

4. Xcdude

Xcdude Member

No work all play.
    My Condolences go out to his family.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    That hurts,so sad.

6. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    my wife told me about this when I got him...hurts to hear about this.. :( Parents..hug your kids one extra time tonite!

7. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
  8. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

A f'in monster truck:mad:

9. ridefruita

ridefruita New Member

I really wish people would be more careful around cyclists(anyone on a bike). They see to fail to realize that they are warpped in a giant metal cage, and we are not.

10. Iwannabinsocal

Iwannabinsocal boutique brand elitist

I have a fun job
    As a parent of a 15 year old boy (as I am sure manyof us are parents) this really hits hard to read......how awful, it does not sound like people should commenting on the driver or his truck, he may be a father as well or, even if not, I am sure this is just as traumatizing for him as well.

11. Foolish

Foolish New Member

Used to have a lifted truck. There was a giant blind spot around the passenger fender and headlight. On approaching an intersection I would always check the corner to make sure there were no pedestrians before coming to complete stop. It's obvious this driver wasn't, he was completely negligent in my book. Sad story nonetheless. :(

12. Johnnyfattire

Johnnyfattire Member

Electrician
    Really sorry to read this, But I will be showing this to my 10 year old, because he has a hard time looking both ways and watching other vehicles to see where they are going. I will be praying for the family.

13. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    First of all, my greatest sympathy to the family.

Secondly, what if this guy had not seen a mom pushing a stroller or a whole family, would it have been nothing more than an accident then???

Seems to me like this guy can't safely drive his modified vehicle.

I'd say if you run over someone in the cross walk while you have a stop sign someone should be cited!

14. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Way to pass judgment without facts, folks! :clap::bang::beer:

Here's hoping you don't end up on my jury should I be accused of something.

Attached Files:

• mob.jpg
      mob.jpg
      File size:
      81.8 KB
      Views:
  15. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    As a parent, I am always saddened by the death of a child when I stop and think about what the parents must go through. The fact is, we don't know what really happened, and until the facts are clear, those of you quick to cast stones, should perhaps reserve judgement. On the same token, and this will probably piss some of you off, monster trucks should be BANNED from city streets. Just like certain cars with upgraded engines are proihibited from being operated on our streets, so should these trucks. There is no space on this forum to list all the reasons why this should be, but I'm sure a lot of you out there can list more than a few. It's also possible that the driver involved in this accident is a parent him/her self. Imagine the guilt...:-k

16. ridefruita

ridefruita New Member

Really? So because some one makes a mistake or acts like a dumbass (Not sure which one in this case, probably a combo) now we should stop people from driving the vehicle they want?

Why is it that when some thing bad happens we always have to regulate the crap out of it?

Instead of limiting freedom, perhaps we should educate ourselves a little better and have stiffer penalties for those that choose to behave badly.

I am convinced that the move to over regulate EVERY thing is one reason California is in the economic position it is in right now.

17. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    This is such sad news.......................

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    That's a horrible ASSumption.

Seeing many kids ride around the neighborhoods on their BMX bikes, I've seen some crazy stuff where the kids seriously have no fear of death.

Without being a witness, I'm not even going to try to guess what happened, other than it was a tragic accident.

19. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

Personally, I don't believe in accidents. I believe in consequence. A vehicle code was violated by one party or the other...and now there is consequence, not an "accident."

20. Manny43

Manny43 New Member

blue collar
    Here's the problem with your perspective, Ride: Education doesn't work on dumbasses. That is why they have to put cameras at intersections, so people will think before running thru red lights. Gun control exists because dumbasses F*#k it up for the rest of us. There are those who engage in illegal street racing and kill people in the process; is the law infringing on their freedom to "drive the vehicle they want" by outlawing the activity and their souped up cars on our streets, or is it protecting the rest of us who obey the law? You see Ride, you have no one to blame for "over regulation", but the dumbasses.#-o