Does this bother any one else ?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Kevin949, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    Maybe a Roadie with no bike skills ran into this guy ? I have had that happen to me in the past.
    I do not see it as a threat since the sign has a smiley face on it .
    My guess is they just want to give the ignorant road riders a wake up call and some thing to think about .
    Lets be real here a lot of Roadies do dumb things when riding.
    Most seem to think stop signs do not pertain to them or that they have a god given right to slow or obstruct traffic.
    Crossing the center line or like others have stated riding three or four abreast oblivious to traffic behind them.
    Sounds to me like the sign got your attention because you turned around to take another look at it and to take a picture
    then you posted it on STR .
    My guess you were a little more careful and more aware of cars as you rode your bike that day, with the words of that
    sign weighing heavily on your mind!
    If that was the writers intent..........Mission accomplished !

2. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    You urban californians sure are a peaceful tolerant bunch. I don't mean that sarcastically, I mean it amazes me on a daily basis how comfortable people feel doing things that'd get them knocked senseless anywhere else.

That sign, and the building it's nailed to, are made of wood. Anywhere else I've lived, putting up a sign threatening a whole group of people with violence, you'd be lucky to get away with just having it burned to the ground.

3. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

There's no question that this is true. The question is, should people be physically threatening towards them? I don't believe 50% of the population should have driver's licenses, but I don't threaten them. The problem is that a group has been singled out for the same poor behavior that is committed by masses of other people. Now, why do some people single out specific groups?

4. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

:)
    There are a lot of Peta people who wouldn't mind seeing you dragged to death underneath a car.:) I added a smiley face so that makes it okay.

5. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    No doubt there are people out there who don't like cyclists. Too bad cuz its a great climb.

I was heading up it in a paceline a few years back and a woman driver came up from behind us, got on the horn, swerved around and yelled out the window that "You don't have the right to be on the road!" Then she raced ahead and actually parked in the middle of the street and got out and hollered at us some more. Maybe we weren't wearing her favorite team's colors..? :)

6. Falconer

Falconer/Animal trainer
    I guess the difference is, I believe in their rights to voice an opinion. I do not go crying about it on a forum .
    Since none of us know the circumstances that prompted the hanging of the sign I do not take it as a threat.
    It could be a commentary on a accident on the road perhaps caused by a road bike rider and like I said a heads up
    to other riders. You do not know the writers intentions.
    A far cry from your juvenile comment singling me out with a blatant death threat because I have an opinion contrary to yours.
    Grow up! If you really have a problem with the sign, grow some balls and go knock on the land owners door and ask
    what their real intentions are.
    Sorry, but having been a commuter cyclist for many years and have been hit by a car and lost Many friends to car accidents.
    That sign is a sad but true statement it happens more times then you want to think about.
    This is why I only ride in the dirt now.

7. Kevin949

Kevin949 Member

I took the sign as a " your not welcome here " and that is what bothered me and as for Rodies been called ignorant ,we think stop signs do not pertain to us or that we have a god given right to slow or obstruct traffic . one would think you put that sign there also the only other people riding that day where a whole bunch of mountain bikers riding back up Silverado canyon rd back there cars

8. dwrads

dwrads Member

That signs been up for a couple of months. There is a contigent of anti bikers in the canyon who have tried to get bikes banned in Silverado. Their reasoning is that it's unsafe.

The truth is that many cyclist, especialy roadies ride the canyon on weekends. They typically ride in packs and block the road. It's difficult to get around a group because the road is narrow, curvy and it's hard to see oncoming traffic.

I live here, drive and ride here. I've been run off the road and had drivers see how close they can get without hitting me. I've had to drive up canyon for a mile or more waiting for a chance to get around a pack of roadies who are "owning" the road.

The road is narrow without a shoulder, it's important for cyclist and drivers to consider their impact on the other user.

The sign owner is mostly worried about hitting someone and being responsable for hurting someone. While I don't think the sign is worded in a way that helps, I understand his desire to make the cyclist think about where they're riding.

Mountain bikers are less of an issue, but the local anti cycling contingent don't seperate those different groups. I've been yelled at by residents who assumed I was not a resident, just for riding my bike. The whole thing sucks.

9. zman

zman WTF ?

That is my point car vs bike the car always wins
    as for the other argument .....Yes i have done stupid things in cars and thank god i was in a cage

10. madridg

madridg Ride Therapy Patient

Medical Device Engineer
    Home Page:
    somebody should write on the sign:

"hillbillies= the next to be sued and homeless"

11. Gary IFF

Gary IFF Member

what a great idea, I'll buy the wood for the sign if someone else want to make it.

12. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Since when did everyone become so sensitive to what idiots say or do? If someone wants to prove how how lame they are by posting a sign on their property, that's their right. BFD - Losing sleep over it just feeds the idiot's stoke. Far better to wave and blow kisses at him as you ride by IMO.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  13. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    The folks in Silverado are just trying to warn us that they are horrible drivers.

14. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Well said...and thanks for serving

15. dwrads

dwrads Member

Maybe the drivers in Silverado are just warning drivers how horrible the bike riders are...

DW

16. Falconer

Falconer/Animal trainer
    I never said all Roadies are ignorant. It only takes a few bad(ignorant) apples(roadies) to give someone a negative opinion.
    I very rarely have seen roadies actually stop at stop signs. I would wager most of them do not.
    Many times some self entitled road cyclist has hogged the road slowing traffic in front of me when they very easily
    could just move over to the right and let the faster traffic pass. By the way I would expect a slow moving motor vehicle
    to pull over to the right and let faster moving traffic to pass as well.
    These are observations I have made over the years. As for your statement "also the only other people riding that day where a whole bunch of mountain bikers riding back up Silverado canyon rd back there cars" I find that one hard to believe and I
    really doubt you stayed all day monitoring what type of bikes were on the road all day!
    Now, let me also state for the record I have had both my legs crushed by a car while riding my bike. It was a hit and run
    I was run over while riding along in the bike lane.
    I have had 15 surgeries over the last 10 years to correct most of the damage. My right leg in particular has lost most of
    the muscle tissue below the knee. So if you see someone on the trail riding a Santa Cruz Super Light slow as death it's
    probably me!
    Even after all I have been through I can still look at this issue from both sides and not just jump to a conclusion .
    Some people including myself can not always express their thoughts in writing in the correct manner.
    The creator of the sign may suffer from this malady. I truly believe this persons intent was to increase awareness to
    a problem that obviously has been festering a very long time. To me it is a joke but in very poor taste, hence the smiley
    face. Yes it is offensive to many cyclist but on the other hand think of all the motor vehicle drivers that have also
    looked at that sign. They probably chuckled a little but as they continued driving their awareness for cyclist was
    increased and perhaps a little more caution was the result.

17. Ladd Jasper

Ladd Jasper Full speed, half blind

Don't sell yourself short. Your bias is coming through loud and clear.

18. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    The problem lies in an uneducated public in regards to the laws pertaining to bicycles.
    1) We are allowed to ride two abreast even three or 4 if conditions warrant it.
    2.) We have as much legal right to ANY and all lanes as motor vehicles do. True we are to TRY to remain to the right as all slower moving vehicles are supposed to but we can go out two lanes or even three if we need to.
    3.) The general public makes no distinction between roadies and mountain bikers and neither do I or most my riding friends. We are cyclists and when people here try to divide us they are only doing a disservice to us all.
    4.) I personally like what this idiot has done with this sign. Most people will see it and think that this clown has a screw lose and will side with us cyclists. Just think if this fool was to hit a cyclist and someone came forward and said he was the author of this sign.
    5.) A lot of folks go after cyclists thinking we are easy targets and won't fight back but most these brave folks won't stop to tell us to our faces why the feel the need to call us faggots or other derogatory names.

I can understand no one wanting to be inconvenienced by a few rude cyclists but these are the same folks who will talk on the cell phone with 10 cars behind them. Toot the horn and 99% of the time they'll move over and let you by. I ride Santiago Cyn occasionally and I find it a very nice ride as the shoulders are wide and people are for the most part very accommodating to cyclists. I see the big groups but I never really see them holding up much traffic.

19. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

exactly!!!

20. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    Take the sign as an friendly or unfriendly reminder, and don't read any more into it. There is a simple perspective that I use when road riding: Big eats little. Therefore I spend most of my time in the dirt, but when I do ride the road it is in a desolate area that sees very little to no traffic. That being said, I still ride with heightened awareness of my surroundings, as I occasionally have a honk, jackass yell, or garbage thrown at me... and yes, I come a way disgusted in humanity.

FYI~ It's the same in the NW too.