Does Maple drain?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Waldo, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    I'll be riding Maple Springs to Motorway on Sunday... Say hi if you see me (look for big ass guy in black..) Plan to get an early morning start..

2. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    This route shows average time of 3.0hrs. That seems fast to me. I did it yesterday in the rain in 3:45. Shaving off 45min would be tough. What would be a good VQ goal for this section?

3. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester

If look at each page for the routes you'll see that the profile for the second one is not symmetric. Click on playback and voila! He didn't start his GPS until he left the pavement.

4. NRRider

NRRider New Member

Ah, that explains it, thanks.
    Heading out shortly so maybe I'll see you guys out there. Probably starting at around 10 or so. I'll be on a blue Cannondale Rush w/lefty.

5. NRRider

NRRider New Member

Just to follow up, thanks for all the advice, especially re parking as there was a forest service guy there looking for people parked illegally.
    We only made it to Four Corners and man it was cold up there. Definitely did not bring the right gear for the ride back down. My hands froze and took a good 15 minutes in front of the car heater before I started feeling normal again.
    Great ride though, except for the many cars that passed us by. That was annoying.
    Trail was in good shape in spite of the rain so from that standpoint it worked out well.

6. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
    it was cold up at 4 corners.. When I got there I questioned whether I should keep going to motorway or turn back.. ended up moving forward and was glad I did.. I did stop at one spot on the main divide that had some sunshine to warm up a bit.. On my way up Maple Springs I came up on a couple of riders who stopped on the downhill because they were too cold.. hahah..

7. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    It all depends on how fast you get through the first leg(Black Star to Maple Springs). That actually not that fast. If you can get to the bottom of the MW in 2 hrs, then 3 hrs and 45 min only leave you 45 min to descend from the peak, down both upper and lower HJ to make that noon cutoff. You need to shave some time off the second leg IMO. The event starts at 5:30am. You need to be at the Peak and making that down hill turn by no later than 11:15 to give yourself 45 min to the noon cutoff at the 2nd aid station. This year, the cutoff is easier than last year, because you last year, if you arrived at the 2nd aid station at noon, you would not have made it to the base of WHT by 12:30.

8. NRRider

NRRider New Member

Yeah it was especially fun up there when I had to remove my sweaty jersey to put on the base layer for the trip down.

9. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    Thanks Gene,

My post was misleading. I was comparing my Maple-Peak-Maple time of 3:45 to the Geoladders average of 3:00. Maple to the peak took 2:30. So bottom line is get to the peak in 5 1/2 hrs which leaves 1 hr to the cutoff at the bottom of HJ. Correct?