Do you know the way to Potato Mtn?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by gurp13, Apr 17, 2006.

1. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    So, I was riding Marshall Canyon today. I'm trying to get to where I can make it all the way to Potato Mtn. I followed the signs up Marshall Canyon and go to the gate that marks the entrance to the Claremont Wilderness. I went left and down the fireroad. At a fork that seemed to be marked W. Fork or something, I went up. And up. And up. It was a GRIND! I finally couldn't take anymore but I got to a point where there was a sign in the road that said something about "Angeles National Forest from this point" and the fireroad just kept going up. Was I on my way to Potato Mtn? What does that road lead to?

Here's a pic of the sign, in case you recognize it.

04-17-06_1415.jpg

2. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

You were going in the right direction, that climb is a very long grind. at the top of the saddle you'll see a fork. one goes up on the side of the ridge all the way up to the peak of Potato Mountain, the other goes down Evey Canyon to Mount Baldy Road. the climb from the saddle to the peak is the toughest.

Keep at it Glenn :bang: , you'll be a killer climber soon!! \\:D/ you'll be very proud of yourself when you get there and you'll also be rewarded with a great view of the inland empire.

3. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Is that climb, the last one from the saddle to the peak, comparable to any other part of the ride? I mean, if it's much steeper I might have to walk it!

Oh, and I didn't fall today. But, I did walk a couple sections. 14.5 miles altogether!

How'd you like those fallen trees? Saw where you posted in the Marshall Cyn. section on trail conditions. You mentioned your tires really hooking up. Man, I need new tires, 'cause mine were spinning and bogging down in the mud and were squirrly on the downhill. I'm getting Panaracers, I think.

4. Epic_Mtn_Biker

the grind up potato is a grind, but my advise is just go on the lightest gear you got and crank a nice steady cadence and you'll make it slowluy but surely.

watch your: cadence, breathing, & line, most importantly think positive!!

5. gurp13

High School Teacher
    And get new tires and carry momentum. :)

6. Epic_Mtn_Biker

get the tires when you wear out the ones you got, and yes momemtum helps when you have it!! :lol:

7. gurp13

High School Teacher
    Fine then. Ride more, wear out tires. Then, get new ones.

8. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

I disagree, get the Panaracers now and you'll definately notice a difference. They hook up much better and they aren't very expensive.

9. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Potato mtn

Hey Gurp...let me know if you'd like to do the reverse. Up Evey to Potato then out Marshall . Rode Marshall yesterday for the first time with Chris and Armondo ...LOVED that area and had a blast. George got a little....uh...excited when he saw the deer but Chris can't bring himself to let him go :( !! AND thanks for the fun ride and tips ....I'm a better rider for it:bang:!!

BTW...my panaracers did great...good price at Jenson

10. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

ha ha ha!! they finally got u out therr!!:bang: about time god danngg it!!:lol:

11. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    hey land shark, i'm finding more females to ride with you, not that you're not a blast to ride,with, but other like minded beauties as yourself. anyway that would be a cool ride for the beginner in everyone, great idea gurl! take her up on it gurp, its a cool trail.

12. gurp13

High School Teacher
    That sounds like a fun ride. How do we get back to the cars if we start at Evey? We'd park on Baldy Road, right? When were you thinking? Is this a novice/intermediate type ride?

13. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Potato

It's easier going this way than up the other...it'll be a fun ride and a good way to get to potato. I'll pm with my cell # so hopefully we can do it this week and work out the route.