Do road bikes make you stupid?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wheezy, Jun 25, 2012.

1. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Are you kidding me??? I never said that at all... hey I don't know you and you don't know me.. and when you say "tired of my comments".. how many comments are we talking about.. I have only voiced this a couple of different times over the past year or so I have been a member, and each time it was posted after an encounter on the road that just caused me to wonder.. The "Yeah, F-ing cyclists--I'll show 'em whose lane it is!" quote a f..ing insane..

2. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Wow dude, that had to be one of the douchebaggynist things I've read so far.

Sofa king uncool.

3. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Wow. So much hate in this discussion. If you read the OC Register article's comments, you would see people have that "F them" mentality, even to the point of wanting to throw a stick in the front tire of mtn bikers. My experience, overall, has been that mtbers are much more courteous than road riders, but 1) I ride road and do NOT consider myself rude/elitist/self-centered/oblivious to the dangers, and 2) I have just recently encountered rudeness on the trails. The thing is, in spite of all the good that riders (road and mtb) do, and all the craziness that drivers (and walkers sometimes) do, those who ride two wheels are under the microscope.

I try to think about what it would be like to be a hiker at Whiting, when I'm coming up on walkers who politely STOP and move over to let me pass (I wouldn't want to have to stop what I'm doing, especially since I have the right of way over bikers). I don't expect that they will stop, I don't ask them to, and when they do, I try to fully communicate how grateful I am that they let me pass.

Similarly, when riding road, I try to think like a driver (I drive ~100 mi/day, so that's easy). Everyone is looking out for themselves, so I do not expect any driver to think about me. But when I AM a driver, I am always watching for cyclists. Even ones who may be big self-centered jerks. But they are a small part of all cyclists.

Us talking trash to each other- especially on a public forum like the OC Register- does NOTHING for anyone who rides a bike of ANY kind.

4. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    These are the comments I'm referring to:

"..but the douche who forces me out of my own lane doesn't get a lot of my sympathy from if something happens to him..

..just trying to drive home and didn't appreciate being forced out of my lane when there was a perfectly good bike lane at their disposal..

..I am cool with sharing the road to an extent but to me a bike lane is a bike lane for a reason.. stay in it! I should not have to see them up ahead, notice how far into my lane they are, then slow to allow traffic to pass from behind, then change lanes to avoid them.. total BS.."

If these comments help keep me alive when I'm out on the road, then I'm thankful for them. But based on personal experience from drivers who feel we don't belong out there, I'd say they further empower rage against cyclists by non-riding drivers.

If calling me names helps make you feel better, then throw in some more. But somewhere along the way, the anger against cyclists has to stop, or Ryan and all the rest of us will continue to be at the mercy of self-righteous drivers who need to 'teach us a lesson' whenever we put our tires on asphalt.

5. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

You know, the perceived arrogant attitude of road cyclists is more of a symptom of PTSD than anything. I started on the road and then started riding MTB in the late 80's. I still ride both and still love a great road ride as much as a great MTB ride. It's something that can not be replaced or duplicated by a ride off-road.

Over 25 years of Orange County roads have caused some pretty thick skin and probably abrasive outward appearance. That happens when you are constantly on alert to everything around you b/c the vast majority of people driving by you are self-absorbed and overly self-important -- not to mention texting or otherwise preoccupied. It really pisses me off to see fellow cyclists -- yes, you MTB-only folks are cyclists -- with the same FU mentality.

Although I say "hi" to everyone on the trail, I do notice fewer and fewer return greetings. After continually reading posts, such as this, I think my days of saying "hi" to other cyclists on the dirt are over.

6. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Everyone needs to just chill the F*** out!!

Go for a ride or stop by the massage parlor....

7. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    Kioti, I don't dispute the quotes but again as I noted before some of those were made during exchanges in that thread based on some of the feedback I was getting. The thread started out as constructive.. I don't have anger toward riders, but right or wrong I will always scratch my head at some of what I see on the road when it comes to bikes. The beauty is that there isn't really a right or wrong aside from the laws themselves.. there are opinions.. I am entitled to my opinion just as you are your own.. but regardless of rider types and our opinions, let's have some class and keep the kids out of it.. I am a pretty mellow guy but if you insist on bringing my kid into this with comments like me posting a video of him "when" he breaks his neck, you and I are going to have a problem...

8. rschroeder714

rschroeder714 HAB Crew sweep (slowest)

District Manager - Alsco AKA hell
    Waiting on the video of you getting your ass handed to you for being a prick.

On topic
    I've had a few experiences where Roadies take up the lanes cause they were riding next to each other. That part never really bothered me cause I could just go around. I Have witnessed poor judgment a few years back in Dana Point where I saw a Roadie run a red light and nearly caused an accident. That kind of behavior is unacceptable period.

9. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

You know what Kioti? You need to stop trying to justify what you said and just apologize to McG715 and his son. You were way out of line with your comment.

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Why dont all the keyboard cowboys stay out of it? That is clearly between 2 people not all of you and them.

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
  12. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I think he and I are fine, and I've told him I wish only the best for him and his son, along with everyone else on this site.

But thanks to all of you who stood up for him, because it shows you care. (Hopefully you'll be as protective of riders out on the road.) And sorry if I deprive anyone of the 'ass handing' video. Believe me, I do plenty of that on my own (I just don't film it). If you think I should, any advice on where to mount the camera.. ;-)..? I'd put it on my helmet but it'd probably break.

Be safe out there..

13. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    To any Mod: I think this thread has run its course. It might be time for it to be sent to the dustbin of history now that things have passed the "spirited debate stage" and into the "name-calling and the (punishable as 3rd degree assualt) threats of physical violence" stage.

It was fun while it lasted, though...

14. bikerider

bikerider New Member

Don't include me in the "you roadies" crowd. Again I stopped. I'm a MTB'er through and through that also rides the road, not the other way around.

15. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    We're good.. thanks kioti for the PM and I hope mine were well received also.. Jim

16. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

An insanely derailled thread with threats that Im not involved in? Damn Im loosing my edge

17. phatjay

phatjay New Member

I kind of skimmed the first and last pages of this thread so I'm not really familiarized with your drama. But, to the topic, I started road biking several years ago and quickly grew to love it...then I hit a car that gunned out in front of me when I had the right of way. It destroyed my bike and put a nice limp in my step for quite a while. I recovered the loss through home-owners ins and moved on. Then I got hit and run, bike destroyed again, minimal injury to myself. I eventually put together another road bike but now I'm scared shitless to ride on the road at all. My road-bike hangs in the garage covered with layers of dust and cracked tire sidewalls....and I feel smarter.

18. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    im gonna sell my f250 :-(

19. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    That's cause yur a mtnbk wuss tommy! LOL

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Hey brownie your face is stupid and you ride a road bike......coincidence?