Disc brake conversion

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by EVDphoto, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Falconer

Falconer Who are you? who who

Falconer/Animal trainer
    My 1999 FSR is 24 pounds far from being heavy. Yes I do have a brand new Santa Cruz . If a bike shop employee called
    any bike I owned no matter how old a "Turd" I would tell them to Fu*ck off and never patronize that shop again.
    I personally like some of the older specialized frames better than the new ones.

@LaMint
    By the way good job on your FSR. You should check out Bet-D they have nice bearings
    to replace those plastic bushings.
    and a rear linkage to give you up to 6 inches of travel. Unfortunately they no longer
    make the disk brake seat stays anymore. I bought mine several years ago.

2. atchipmunk

atchipmunk New Member

EVDphoto...you have a couple of currently available options for swapping to rear discs. I have a 1999 MaxBackbone FSR that I have upgraded for the type of riding i'm doing these days (AM/light FR/DH) and i'm using the A2Z rear disc adapter. Not the greatest solution, but works decently. Here's a pic of the setup on my bike:
    [​IMG]
    Although, I did hear that A2Z stopped making these, but haven't verified that yet. The other, more integrated option is to buy the billet rear seat stays for the FSR that Risse Racing makes (www.risseracing.com). It has IS disc mounts designed into the piece. In fact, they make a complete billet rear triangle that includes ball bearings at all pivots, integrated disc mount, and allows a larger tire to be run in the rear. You can, however, use their seatstays with the stock chainstay, or vice versa. It's pretty spendy, but i'm planning on upgrading to the complete rear triangle myself, eventually.
    Anyway, here's a complete pic of my bike...Old School FSR's rock! :D:
    [​IMG]
    And yes, I know this frame wasn't designed for a fork this big, but the '99 Maxbackbone framed FSR's had pretty beefy headtube gusseting compared to the earlier ones, so it should be plenty strong. Besides, if Palmer could rip one of these frames in DH back in the day, i'm sure it should be able to handle anything I could dish out...:D

Oh, and LAmint...that is some beautiful work you had done on your FSR's seatstays. Probably one of the best/cleanest home brewed jobs i've ever seen...impressive...