Dilemma.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RC, Jan 29, 2005.

1. RC

RC New Member

Meat Cutter
    It's time to buy anew bike,been riding my giant ac is about 38-40lbs heavy,now i like to get something lighter about 26-30lbs heavy. been thinkig about. the rocky mountain slayer, specialized enduro and gary fisher cake. but right now supergo has a sale on frames and they got the turner burner 4 850 bucks,the turner 5spot 4 1,600 bucks, the intense spider xvp and the 5.5evp frame 4 1600 bucks and also the rocky mountain slayer frame for 899 bucks. i like to spend about 2,500 bucks. what do guys think? thanks in advance for your input. R.C.

2. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    All the bikes you mention are good names.
    For my first full susser, I ended up getting a rocky mountain. I really dig the quality, hand-crafted in Canada frame and the good complement of components. But most importantly I enjoy how it rides.

My advice: look at (and ride! \:D/ ) each one to see if it fits your body and style.

That's my $0.02!
    Good luck on your decision and let us know what you get (post a pic!)

And I know it is pretty technical, but even if you can't understand much of the higher-level technical jargon (I can't) it is still interesting to see how the different suspensions perform using the "Linkage" program. It has some Specialized, Intense, and Rocky's that you can play with.

go to: www.mtbcomprador.com/pa/english/

Click on "I. Primary Concerns."

Scroll down till you see a bunch of links called "Linkage"

Download the linkage program

3. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

5 Spot or Enduro sounds good. I have an Enduro, its a bit on the heavy side, closer or slightly over 30 pounds, but the bike does not disappoint. Carves up single track like a razor, handles descents with ease, and climbs pretty easily.

Just slap on a good fork and your all set to go. You could probably get an Enduro frame for real cheap, if you want to get fancier, I'd get the Turner 5 Spot, which is most likely a little better but more expensive.

Have you considered a Chuma Wumba?

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    But you've still got the scraxle (is that still there for '05?') if you go with Enduro, and new wheelset to get rid of the scraxle is $$.

Chumba Wumba is $$$$$.

I've heard good things about Turnbers.

My recommendation . . . YETI 575!!

[​IMG]

Mine is currently between 29 and 30 pounds with heavy Kenda Kinetic tires. Just look all over mtbr or other review sites. Everyone that has one loves it to death. I can't think of anything it doesn't do well. It's probably on the higher side money wise of the ones on your list.

If you want to get on my 575 to see how it rides, just let me know.

5. RC

RC New Member

Meat Cutter
    mr. LBmtb that's a mighty tempting offer though. not sure if i should... but pretty temping! maybe i should so i can get the feel of it though! may be a little expensive for my self? but, if you don't mind riding with an old guy,i'll give it a shoot. i normally ride on friday mornings, either el moro or the san juan trail. the earlier the better, but as long that's in the mornings i'm cool...well let me know and thanks a lot buddy.just for the offer,even i f doesn't work on the ride. thanks again.later.

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    How early is "early"? I'd love to de-virginize myself at san juan sometime. Have you tried Turnbull canyon? Pretty fun trail up the 605 in whittier.
    The frame is a small btw. What pedals do you use? I have some egg beaters on there, but we can switch pedals pretty easy.

7. RC

RC New Member

Meat Cutter
    LB.i call early.tring to be getting on the saddle by 6:30-7:00am,but a little later is cool. i try to do it early,cus of the traffic you know...i got a medium frame, i haven't tried turnbull canyon,been meaning to! and got shimanos double plattafom and thats cool we can switch them,fire me a line and we make arrangements to meet somewhere if you can make it. i'm off the 605fwy and carson st. or we can meet at the trail thats cool.but i think youre in long beach. let me know if we can car pool? let me know @ [email protected]. looking forward to hearing from you. R.C.

8. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I'll keep in touch, most likely will be able to ride Friday morning though. Two bikes sorta fit in my bike, might take a bit of fitting, but it has worked before. (01 toyota celica)

Here's some nice praise from 575 owners: Any Regrets with the 575?

9. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

10. RC

RC New Member

Meat Cutter
    LB. don't worry about car space i got a truck. if you can make it we can drive my truck i don't mind, i do it all the time anyways! let me know, we'll go to the san juan trail. great trail! should be interesting to see that trail now. with the rain an all! so let me know buddy.RC.