difference between socom and m series?

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by 92se-r, Dec 11, 2008.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    whats really the difference between the two? why choose one over the other? can you build a sub 40 lb socom with a dual crown fork and not exotic parts? thanks

2. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    -I've been thinking the same thing :confused:

3. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    8 inches versus 10, plus, the M series have a lower BB i believe, and a lower center of gravity for better cornering.

4. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    The Socom is made to be a "light DH" frame. Here is what they say about it:

The Intense Socom FRO, combines the weight of a 6.6 with the strength of an Uzzi and the race proven geometry of the M3.... a little mad science goes a long way. This "For Racing Only" model will tear up any technical DH course.

Here is what they say about the M6:

The M6 FRO is a bike that is helps to set the benchmark in downhill racing with it's aggressive and well balance geometry, add to this a well refined and tuned suspension system and you have a bike that is built to get to the bottom of the hill in a hurry.

To me, the Socom is the best DH bike I have ever had or ridden. It rocks and is very "flickable." It has a low BB and is very light. It does have a "flexy" rear end though. It is way more bike than I will ever need. Mine weighs in at 40 lbs. It could be lighter, but I am not really that concerned about that.
    [​IMG]

5. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

You can build a Socom sub 40 easy. Hell you can build a mid 30s M6. Just ask Lee, he is at 37lbs on his m6 and could still lose some more weight.

6. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I dont know what the differences are, but I know I want both! :)

7. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    the head angle seems super steep at 67 degrees. thoughts?

8. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    If you can't ride a bike just because of a 67 HA, your a sissy. :) I'm one to speak though, my DH bike has a 64 HA. :lol:

It wasn't too long ago that a 67 HA was considered slack.

but my thoughts towards it would be that it's only a little steep, yet very managable. Just ask all the people that ride Socoms. The "steep" HA may also have to do with why it pedals so well.

I've also "heard" rumors of people making their own drop outs to lower the BB and slacken the HA both on the Socom and Uzzi. As a matter of fact- someone is making some right now on MTBR for the Uzzi- not sure about the Socom though.

9. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    On the M6 or Socom? Socom is at 66.5

It's not steep anyway because the BB is so low. I have a 67deg head angle on my bike and it has an unladen 14.75 bb :D THAT feels steep!

10. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I love my SOCOM:bang: . I wouldn't mind having a M6 for some DH/FR action.
    Some say the SOCOM is not a great Free ride bike well I like it for that too.
    I do have the Uzzi set up for my free ride bike but I like both bikes the same for different reasons. The lower BB on the SOCOM can take getting used to. It rails though because of it. I cant believe I ever considered selling either of them.
    I think it was because I was working at Intense and I wanted to put some test time on the newer frame offered.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Besides the obvious travel difference, the M6 is lower, the M6 is a littel slacker, the M6 is shorter.

12. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    race machine. :)

13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Yeah It always makes me laugh when I see teh Socm listed as Race only, its not, its a trail DH bike.

Now the M6 really was designed with DH in mind. So much that original runs would let the damn tire hit the friggin seat tube. Not an issue if your on a race coarse all the time, but most of us are not, so they were smart enough to mod the chainstays offering another option wiht steepens it up like half a degree or something like that

14. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Thats the beauty of having replacaple dropouts. :bang:

Luckily those who already had the M6 were able to do something as simple as buying new dropouts- to fix the seat buzz issue. Although expensive- at least theres the option.

Despite the undeniable fact that I am prone to crashing, and have a lack of DH skills. I MUST have the M6. :beer:

15. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Here is my Socom racing
    [​IMG]

Here is my Socom freeriding
    [​IMG]

Here is my Socom at the SSDHC trail
    [​IMG]

Here it is in San Diego
    [​IMG]

This bike does it all. To me the FRO tag is a joke, IMHO the M6 is too much for freeriding where the Socom excels at it.

Well, it doesn't climb very well. But neither do I! That's about the only thing it can't do. Well, I have seen some with a front der on 'em. Seems useless to me though. If you wanna climb with this bike, just buy an Uzzi.

Just my .02 cents....

16. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    The FRO tag was meant for people that could actually beat the crap out of it racing. :lol:

For us regular folk, the bike will last just as long as any other- so to speak.

17. Freerideco

Freerideco New Member

Then wouldn't it be the other way around?

NFR - not for racing

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I was always under the impression that FRO tag was for bikes using thinner tubing to save weight making them FRO since thats what they were designed for. Now yes most of us mortals arent going to break then, unless your whybother.

19. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Im mortal, But at the same time I am Friggin heavy. I range from 245 to 270 depending on the season. Thin tubes= broken bike for me. I will take the extra weight for a strong bike

So No Ellsworth for me thank you

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Interesting...Most people on the Intense forum on mtbr are complaining that the bottom bracket is too tall and the head angle is too steep on the Socom. Intense did slacken the head angle for the 2008 model, but it's still too steep for a DH race bike.

Also, most Socom setups I know of, the bottom bracket on the Socom is around 14-14.5". The M6 is about 13.6". BB height and frame design give the M6 also a lower center of gravity, which is why the M6 works so well in the turns. You'll also find on mtbr where someone is claiming to make new dropouts for the Socom and UZZI VPX to lower the bottom bracket and slacken the head angle - this is a godsend for those two bikes.

Durability and stiffness, there is no comparison.

The head angle on my M6 is about 64.5 degrees (I made some changes, so I'm not sure where it is now). By the way, my SlopeStyle is right at 66.5 degrees.

Oh, and just to clarify, my M6 is at 38 pounds, but 37 is right around the corner, and I may go toward 36 - these are race trim weights. ;)