diesel owners. read it and weep

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 92se-r, Jan 16, 2010.

1. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Diesel fuel takes 25% more oil to produce compared to gasoline. Therefore, while diesel combustion is more efficient, you have to adjust MPG down to properly compare to gasoline.

Yes, diesel emits less CO2. But who cares about CO2? Honestly. Diesel emits more NOx and other toxic air contaminants (aka carcinogens) compared to gasoline. That means more smog and higher cancer rates. Gasoline (high CO2) might be bad for the planet long term, diesel is bad for your city right now. Pick your poison.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to own a clean diesel Subaru with a boxer engine (available in Europe). But diesel isn't the savior some claim it to be. It's still a petroleum product. I'm excited about hybrid technology, which is still fairly young and has a long way to mature. I've read VW makes a clean diesel hybrid Golf that will get 70 MPG.

2. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    never said it was the long term solution, but its a damn good interim solution given our current infrastructure. it instantly drops our foreign oil consumption by a significant percentage. the technology is there. electric vehicles are the future but battery technology is still not quite there in my opinion and we do not have the infrastructure for the charging stations.

the new vw clean diesels meet lev ii requirements for nox so they do not pollute any more than a comparable gas engine. in fact, they probably throw out less nox than most pre early 2000 vehicles.

3. XgoodlifeX

XgoodlifeX Hello

I've got the Ford 6.0 for myself and got my wife the VW TDI wagon and it is the best driving car I ever had. Since I ride my bike to work and only use my truck when I need to the TDI is perfect.

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Thats the beauty of deisel...... You dont need fosil fuel oil<crude oil> to produce, thats just what we use at this point. There are multiple alternatives to using crude for deisel, alternatives that require no modification to vehicles, no special filters, no special fuel tanks...... Just pull up to the pump and fill your vehicle up and life is good.

5. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
  6. El Immigrante

El Immigrante STR's resident Coyote.

Coyote...need to get your relative across the bord
    Tijuana- Land of pimps, drug dealers, hot women, m
    I just registered my '06 F250 and paid more in registration fees than when I first bought it back in August '06. However, there was nothing about smog.

I'm going to have to go to an exhaust shop and have them fab some brackets so I can swap my cat in and out.

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Keep in mind that if you use fuel with higher than 5% biodiesel content (B5) you risk your warranty being voided in some (if not all) modern diesel trucks. Of course, they can only void the warranty in relation to problems occurring in your fuel system and engine, depending on the nature of the failure. Also, if using B5, it must meet many stringent criteria. If you own a diesel truck, check your warranty before using biodiesel! Oh, and if you're out of warranty, consider the reasons why the comnpanies want to deny warranty claims for using biodiesel. With the cost od fuel injection system and engine components, it's just not worth the associated risk.

That is not entirely true. Refer to the vehicle code for clarification.

I just renewed my registration on my '06 Dodge w/Cummins, and my registration was lower than when it was new. It was about the same as last year. I also didn't have to have mine smogged, but I understand that they're only doing half this year and half next year, depending on VIN or license plate number (I forgot which). We'll get our turn next year.

8. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ill get teh sitation code for ya, it is actually 100% true. You cannot modify your exhaust in the state of california. Like I said though, smog/carb laws dont always agree with vehicle code. Like it was flat out said to me though, its a bullshit law, bullshit ticket, that 90% of judges just throw out. normally written to someone because they ran there mouth

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'll spare you having to look it up and just say that you're allowed aftermarket exhaust components providing they meet noise limitations. The description people are usually cited for with aftermarket exhaust systems is "Modified exhaust." This applies to those who have exhaust systems that are louder than the laws allow.

If everyone had to use an OE muffler, muffler shops wouldn't exist. Also as you also know, muffler shops don't use OE tubing.

10. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

11. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)

That thing is RAD! Tough call though, 4-door truck or SUV...?

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

13. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney