DH Trails in Orange County

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by DH4life, Nov 3, 2009.

1. DH4life

DH4life New Member

Hello everyone!

Im looking for some good DH trails in and around orange county.The aliso trails are great but is there more out there? I'd really like to find some great downhill trails that can be shuttled. Thanks for the help :D.

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Bye Bye Thread.

3. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Im sure there are some good DH trails there. But they are not talked about online. especial this site. They are strict about not talking about illegal trails.

If you dont want to get a bunch of crap about it I would remove some of the trails you listed in your post. Mostly the one in Aliso that starts with a T.

EDIT: Looks better.
    On your post, I just moved up here so I dont know much more then Aliso and some trails on the Oaks. From my trail building experiences in San Diego, if you go through the trouble of building a trail you dont tell anyone about it.

When I first started riding in Long Beach after I moved I was constantly looking for jumps and places to ride. The most progress I make was when I met the local kids asked them. It is much easier to trust a guy on a bike with the location of trail/jumps then just some scree name online.

Good Luck. I would just start riding on the STR rides and ask people in person, or ride and meet people on your own.

4. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I just ride my DH bike down XC trails. :)

(not a joke)

5. BigRedHit

BigRedHit Bighit comming DOWN!!

Retail Manager
    fully loop......great exercise...

Santiago Oaks is an awsome place from fun little drops with technical sections up top...

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Yes, unfortunately most of the DH trails in the OC are illegal and therefore not talked about on STR. But as Andy mentioned, if you come out to some rides and search through the forums you will find there are many of us here that ride DH. Befriend some folks and I am sure that they will show you around!

7. denmother

Guilty, as charged! I for one, am truly ignorant. If you tell me who to contact and when/where the meetings are, I'll happily attend, when possible. ;)

8. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    What about Maybe Canyon built by Troy Lee. The back side of Main divide or skyline drive off the 91 in Corona. I think these trails are legal. Good Luck

9. vince72

vince72 Member

I too was wondering about good dh trails in oc

10. denmother

Yes they are, Troy Lee, Diablo and Skinsuit is what we call the 3 of them that I know of.

11. KJR

KJR Cook Bros Veteran

medical device development
  12. 2sixtwo6

2sixtwo6 F scrubing im going big

East Horsethief Trail :?:

13. 2sixtwo6

[​IMG]
    the E. Horsethief Trail. (Unless you possess expert downhill bike handling skills and enjoy endos.) This singletrack, that drops down the eastern side of the Santa Ana mountains near Lake Elsinore, is the nastiest downhill trail that I have ever seen. And, it barely has a single rock on the entire route. How is this possible? Simple, the trail is steep, rutted, and loose. Did I mention it was loose? From Main Divide Truck Trail, E. Horsethief drops 2500 ft in 4 miles. By comparison, this is the same elevation that the San Juan Trail loses in 3 times that length. I had expected the trail to be rocky and overgrown as well as steep. However, there was only minor overgrowth of manzanita and scrub bushes as the route was clear almost the whole way down. Also, the trail surface is similar to the lower section of the San Juan - eroding, coarse-grain sandstone. On a trail this steep, that means ruts and plenty of them. Some of the ruts are essentially chasms that will swallow you and your i-Drive. The trail follows the narrow spine between two canyons - Horsethief Cyn to the north and Rice Cyn to the south. This doesn’t allow for many switchbacks (only 2 at the very bottom) but it does make for a sketchy descent that is scary to even walk in some spots due to the loose, scree-type trail surface. The first mile is the steepest as it loses 1000 ft. There are a few respites along the way. However, you never truly get a break. I rode maybe 50% of this trail (and that is being generous). And by the time I had reached the bottom, I had nearly lost my nerve from all of the intentional and unintentional bike dismounts. However, there were bike tracks the entire trail, proving that someone cleaned it. I salute this person as the King of Downhill. If you want to dethrone him (or her), be my guest. But don’t say that you haven’t been warned (and make sure your health/life insurance policies are current).
    By the way, the views from this trail high above Lake Elsinore are extraordinary. The entire ride consisted of following the route described in the first post but starting on Main Divide (just north of Ortega Hwy), climbing for about 7.5 miles and descending E. Horsethief into Lake Elsinore. (The entrance to the singletrack is about 2 miles past Trabuco Trail. You will descend into and climb out of a saddle. Then, as you begin descending again, look for the wide trail entrance on the right as Main Divide makes a sharp left. There is no sign. If you reach W. Horsethief, you’ve gone too far.) From the bottom of the trail (a beautiful shady area) continue straight out the dirt road until it becomes paved. Continue straight to Grand Ave. Turn right on Grand Ave and ride for about 2.5 miles to El Cariso Truck Trail. Turn right and climb El Cariso 3 miles to your car. Kiss your car because you made it back in one piece.

Ride rating: Expert
    Ride distance: 17 miles Elevation change: 3800
    Singletrack=24% Paved Path=41% Truck Trail=35%
    SS a 32 year old Die-hard Enthusiast riding a Catamount from OC

from mountain bike bill

14. denmother

^So, 2sixtwo6, have you ridden this trail on your DH bike? :?: Did you get a heli drop?

15. 2sixtwo6

i havent ridden it i read about it a while back as well as see it when im on ortega but i assume that is the trail ride*like*you*got*a*pair is talking about

16. QiKss

QiKss Marcy Ranch Crip

Dropped off! Thats blasphemy!

17. 2sixtwo6

LOL Pwnd:beer:

18. denmother

I guess you haven't met Maxwell and his crew yet.

19. Rondo

Rondo Member

Captain, USMC
  20. danlorek

danlorek New Member

gotta call bs on ya man. i'm from sd, lived across the street from a certain poway riding area, and attended meetings such as "creating legal freeride opportunities" hosted by sdmba along with many of my dh friends and nothing ever came out of them. i also attended the tunnels meetings and made efforts on all of the moto tracks (carlsbad, el cajon) that were closed down. in the end, perhaps, people realize their efforts were wasted? regardless, there have been efforts.

two of the best dh areas in sd will never become legal (private land for one, indian/public/private land on the other). to be honest this is better anyhow otherwise everything will become fireroads in true sd style.

back to the original post, yeah, i just moved up to oc and have found santiago to be fun and shuttle-able. aliso, el morro, and laguna wilderness area all have fun riding also but i find i'm on my 6inch bike usually around here.