DH specific wheels

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by FyrFytrRyn, May 20, 2010.

?

DH wheel opinions

Poll closed May 30, 2010.
  1. keep hadley and no name and buy new hoops

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. buy a new wheelset and forget the hadley

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. buy hoops and hadley front to match

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. ride it till it grenades

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    Thanks for all the input guys.

2. HAB

HAB New Member

Butted spokes aren't really weaker. When was the last time you broke a spoke right in the middle? It's always at one end, where they'd be thicker anyway, and you can build the wheel with a little higher tension, thus making it a bit stiffer/ stronger.

3. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

I have a great DH wheelset for under 350. I PM'd you!

4. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    Fyp :p

when was the last time? a few months ago... broke two of them, not in the middle, but on the butt end on my friend's XC bike on an AM ride (i warned him! they *were* pretty racy, wheels, hense the DB spokes)

5. HAB

HAB New Member

If the change of diameter was so abrupt that the spokes broke there, they just were crap. Good butted spokes still build a stronger wheel, if done properly.

6. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Ive broken more than a few DB spokes at the actual Butt, went through DT spokes, wheelsmith, and a few others. They wer not crappy spokes, yet they still broke at the butt, not at the ends.

7. HAB

HAB New Member

Fatty. :D

The spokes I've had best luck with have been DT Supercomps. YMMV.

8. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    wait... which end is the butt end? My terminology may be off.

9. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Its the butt, not the end. The butt is were the spoke goes from 14g to 15 or 16 or whatever you have.....At least thats what I have always been told and taught

Im not fat Im big boned..... even the doctor said so!!!!!

10. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    yes, ok... thanks! thats where they broke!

11. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    I weigh 225 and rode Mavic 618's with XT hubs with DT Supercomp's (triple butted) with alloy nipples and rode them for 5 years till the bike was stolen last year and never broke a spoke and stripped out a nipple. I would still be on those wheels if the bike wasn't stolen.

Those are the first wheels I actually built also, but the weakest part of the spoke is the ends not the middle.

12. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Funny part is, I hear that alot, but noone can ever explain how it is then that I was breaking butted spokes in the middle. I ahvent broken a spoke in probably seven years now, that was the last time I tried using DB spokes on my own builds, before that I was buying prebuilt wheels which would end up breaking at the huib like one would expect, and that was with 14g spokes.

When I started building my own wheels, I first built a set of rhynolites with 14g, never broke a spoke, built a set of double wides for myself same thing, sent with singletracks after that and DB spokes to drop some weight, great at first, could feel it was more flexy, started popping spokes in the middle<Yes tension was absolutly proper>, dealt with it for about a year when I decided to rebuild the wheels with 14g champs..... never broke another spoke on those wheels.

13. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    Well I bought some transition 36's. I paid 240.00 for them but they aren't gonna work. I thought I could convert them to 12mm thru but I guess it's not possible. Anyone want to buy them?

14. thephat

thephat Active Member

Are you talking 14/15, or thinner?

I have had great luck running Comps (14/15) on my DH wheels for years. I smash rims in from time to time, but the spokes have been fine.

15. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Wait... what????? The revolution rear hub is convertable to 12mm, I know it is, thats what I have on the blindside, I had it as a ten to start, then tried the different dropout for the twelve, converted teh hub over, ended up going back when I killed it..... You have the 10x 135 right now???

Yeah I am a die hard dt swis fan.... they just make ebtter shit. Was runing the comps, and I was killing them. Well I dont know if I should say Killing them, its not like they were blowing up every ride, but probably once a month or so one would pop in the middle.

Side note I dont think I have ever mentioned, it was always the rear

16. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    If by 10 you mean a traditional qr skewer set up then yes. I took the axle out and it seems I need a different axle to make it 12mm thru. I read on pinkbike and ride monkey that when the transition hubs are converted to 12mm that they are forced tobecome 150mm, rendering it useless to me, I need 135. Is this BS? Also, transition has two axle converters for sale on their site, one for a version one, one for a version two. Idk what version I have, and version two is out of stock. Dustin, you wouldn't happen to have that 12mm laying around would you?

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I dont have it anymore, but people saying that it forces the 135 to 150 width is total crap, specially seeing that is you purcase there blindside complete, it comes with a 135 by 12 setup on the rear using their revolution hub. If I am not mistaken your hub shouldnt have the tradition QR skewer anyways, should have a solid qr axle that runs through the hub, thats what mine are.

Give them a call directyly, they know their shit. Just tell them what you are in need of, describe what you have.... they will get you covered I am sure.

18. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

i had that same problem a little while back. I was considering buying an older DHR with the 135x12. there are two different transition hubs for the 36: QR and 10mm TA. the TA is convertible with the kit from transition, but the QR is stuck as a QR...

straight from the guy at transition:

"If you have the rear hub that is a skewer axle it is not able to be
    adapted to a through axle. But if you have the 10mm through axle, it can
    be adapted to a 12mm."

so, assuming you've just got the QR rear wheel, you're kinda boned. #-o

19. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    I'll have to call transition and go from there. It's a standard qr, I got um from stinky180 above^^^^. Is there another axle that works? Read somewhere that they share the same hub design as the outlaws, maybe that axle I'll work if transition is out.... I don't know if I have the first or second version hubs.

20. FyrFytrRyn

FyrFytrRyn RTB to a WNL

estudiante'/naysayer
    Motherf&$;:. I threw away 240.00. Thanks for the help guys.