Downhill Dh Race Bikes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x], Jun 13, 2009.

1. Geronimo

Geronimo S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. member

I steal bikes
    I hear the Ibis Mojo is the DH bike to beat in Socal.

2. funtimes85

funtimes85 New Member

Contractor
    Ventana El Cuervo FTW!! Great race bike but un neaded for Fontana racing haha. I had a VP-Free that was pretty good for Fontana. It pedaled good which helped on the long streight away.

3. byker4christ

byker4christ New Member

sales associate at performance fountain valley
    what about a M6? great for downhill. go to the path to check out the frame

4. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    For racing socal i dont think i need a M6, plus im a light guy. aha thanks though.

Its AN XC BIKE?..

5. whybother

whybother New Member

i have a demo7 i would part with if you want to go used. could sell it with both a 8" Fox 40 and a 7" Totem.

email: [email protected]

6. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

the ones on your list i know of are the session and the foes.... for racing id go session. the 88 is the best turning bike ive been on. v10, scott, swd, sunday, its just feels the best through the turns.... and when it stands up out of the turn it still has its speed, very important for racing. pedals great. light weight.... and you arenet heavy, you shouldnt have a problem with the session breaking. i weigh 180 and completely blew up in a rock section with the 88, its fine. a little scratched, but 100% functional.

i did sell it cause of an injury i had (from said crash) this time im gonna try the foes rs7.... pretty penny... i cant reccomend it cause i havent tried it yet, but i highly reccomend the 88.

7. AeroZeppelin

AeroZeppelin New Member

Brian Lopes was uses it to do some DH stuff:

http://www.ibiscycles.com/lopes/

8. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

good call on the M6. just a bit much for racing IMO.

and by the way I've seen some people ride those mojos, you'd never know they weren't DH bikes...

9. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    I think Geronimo has been licking too many lizards lately :?:

10. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Don't forget the Yeti 303R. Join the Yeti club, dude!

11. SlickShoe671

SlickShoe671 New Member

Never sat on one, but im a big fan of the Yeti Team.

12. thephat

thephat Active Member

M6 rides light and agile. I would say that it suffers less big bike down side than than my Sunday, or Dare did.

13. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yeah, I agree they are light handling bikes, but you just don't need that aggressive of a geo or 9" or travel for 95% of the riding around here, let alone racing. at the price point for an M6, you might as well invest in a 951 for something lighter and more versatile, and still have money left over for a nice fork to go with it.

14. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    As previously mentioned by me, the Socom is the perfect bike for DH/FR in So Cal....as someone else mentioned, it was designed for Fontana in fact...it's a sure bet!

Here is the Socom in action at a trail in Sandy Eggo named after an old famous baseball player..
    [​IMG]

15. thephat

thephat Active Member

I don't want to be argumentative, but...

You don't need a DH bike, or even full suspension for most local stuff.

The 951 looks awesome, and the adjustable geo make it very versatile. I think I would just put it in the lowest slackest position if I had one. Then, it would be as close as possible to my M6.

16. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Wow, everyone chiming in except DHwebkook sure seems to be steering away from the Yeti 303R. Try one - I did. Snappy but rock solid, relatively light, adjustable geometry, Yeti race heritage and handling, and affordable (for a Yeti). See the review in April '09 MBA. Arrange a demo through the Yeti website. For the record, I don't work for Yeti and my DH ride is a Santa Cruz.

Oh yeah, wanna see an Ibis Mojo handling DH? Watch the video on the link below and especially watch how the last rider keeps the bike glued to the ground and rides a line 10' inside everyone else - yes on a Mojo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRaudVJ3ac4&feature=channel_page

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
  17. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

pretty much. All this is coming from me, who doesn't even ride a 7" bike (reignX). There really is no need for an 8" bike. it's just a lot of fun with one :)
    If I had a 951, it would probably be the same thing deal. still having the option the raise the BB and steepen it up a bit would be great for trips to mammoth, or those slow, boulder-strewn fontana courses. M6 in a lighter, more agile package sounds like a good thing to me.

I messed around on a 303R in the parking lot once, and it doesn't look like a bad bike to me. it's light, adjustable, looks quite nice, etc. felt like a solid DH bike for around here. My only problem with it (like a lot of people), is the maintenance required to keep that slider working nicely. as much as I ride, I don't want to be rebuilding it every 2 weeks, even with a proper daily greasing (which I'd inevitably forget about often).

oh, and that's Brian Lopes. he was gunning that day...

18. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

All this talk about the M6 being too much bike for Socal/Fontana? Chris Kovarik won every race he entered during the 2008 Winter Series and he rode the M6 that entire season.

I guess the real disadvantage of the extra squish comes into play when you get to the wall.

Anyway, you would get used to any of those bikes on your list and all of them would ride awesome, especially once you get it dialed in IMO. Make sure to post pics!

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yeah, but at the riding level of Kovarik, the bike itself has not as big of an impact, since the skill level of the rider is so high. You could throw him on a 50lb freeride thing and he'd probably still do VERY well.

but yeah, pick something and ride it for awhile. decide what you like and don't like, and then start looking for a frame if you see the need.

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Bryan, don't get hung up on the travel. The M6 is that good of a bike - it's good when you don't need the travel, and it's great when you do. The geometry and weight center are excellent. And although you may be able to get the 951 geometry close to that of the M6, it still won't be an M6.

I don't know the actual weight of a 951, but considering the SlopeStyle is 9 pounds, I'd guess the 951 to be relatively close. The M6 is 11 pounds. That's the only advantage the 951 has, imho. And no, I don't have any interest in giving up my M6 for a 951.

If you spend more time (or any time) on an M6 like Tani or myself, you'll know what we're saying.