Downhill Dh Race Bikes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x], Jun 13, 2009.

1. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Just to be different AND because I ride one I would suggest a Scott Gambler. Scott has always been known to build bomb prof DH bikes and the Gambler follows suit but is lighter then the old Octane.

The way I have mine built up right now it tips the scales at just over 44lbs but I am also running tires that weigh 2.9lbs each with thick DH tubes. Once I swap the tires/tubes and replace the cranks and a couple other parts the bike should be down around 39lbs.

With some of Scott bikes there are a lot of proprietary parts that keep a lot of riders from buying one but the only thing on the Gambler is the head tube since it is adjustable (angle and steerer tube size).

Also, if you race at many different events then the adjustability of the Gambler comes in handy as you can set it up for anything from the smooth course of WoodwardWest to Mammoth to anything up North of the border.

Pros;
    -Strong frame

-Very adjustable - head angle (64*, 66* and they may release a 65* headtube as well), chain stay length(16.9 or 17.3), rear travel (7.5", 8.26", 9.1")

-Once dialed in it is super smooth, quick turning and stable at speed.

-Good customer service, from what I have experienced

Cons;
    -Not a lot of Scott dealers around

-If you are picky about how it handles then it will take A LOT of runs to dial it in. Best to do on a trail that has a good mix of everything even if you have to drive a bit to get to the trail.

If you happen to go with a Gambler I would say get a frame and build it the way you want. If you are looking for a complete bike then go with the DH10 but it is pricey. Has very good components but still, it is pricey.

Although it has not won a world cup yet, The Gambler sits in 12th spot in the WC under the piloting skills of Nick Beer and did fairly well in '08 at the Rampage taking 6th with Mike Hopkins

Mike Hopkins and the Gambler

And a short vid about Nick Beer
    [youtube]EVzqFTS-S7U&hl[/youtube]

2. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I disagree 100% with this...

:-k

The Socom is a fantastic bike for DH. Sicklines seems to think so too...

In 2007, Intense introduced a new model to their fleet of bikes, the Socom FRO. The Socom went through a few variations in its naming (S.O.S. - Sea Otter Special, Sussi - 6.6/Uzzi, and more) but eventually got called the Socom. The Socom FRO has 8″ of travel and has similar static geometry to their M3. In 2008, Intense modified the Socom slightly from the feedback they received to bring you an even better bike.
    So what is the point of the Socom? The Socom FRO is designed to be a lightweight downhill frame that combines the strength of an Uzzi and the lightweight 6.6 into a downhill package. The Socom FROs geometry is downhill inspired with 8″ of rear travel and Intense suggests a 180-200mm fork to mate with it. FRO is "For Racing Only" but it still carries Intenses' 2 year warranty so rest assured it's not a throw away frame that the name might imply.

It may not be the "flavor of the month" anymore but it's still a fantastic bike!

[​IMG]

3. Mk3

Mk3 D to the izzope

Commercial HVAC
    Home Page:
    What? No SUNDAY love? :?:

[​IMG]

4. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

well, depends on what you want out of it. do you want something that's a good racer around here? or do you want to take it anywhere and have it excel? 8", 8.5", 9" travel? what kind of geometry do you like to ride? are you an exceptionally big person? exceptionally small? odd fit requirements? will you be ready to replace it in a few years? are you a weight weenie? what is your ultimate budget?

all important questions IMO, and worth looking into.

from your list: I'd go with a socom with the slacker dropouts, or the session. both offer good geometries, and are fairly well priced right now.

if you fit a medium, I'm pretty sure the Path has a good deal on the socom right now, and the VPP does a pretty good job as a suspension. it's light, has good geo numbers with the slackers, and is a well built frame.

the session has an excellent build on it, and makes a great out of the box race bike. I ride a trek fuelEX, and that rides great. the session just feels like a big squishy version of it. also very light and well built. people talk about dents, but I've never seen any actual pictures of any. if you fit a medium, ahardball does have a great deal on one: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/market-place/36895-fs-trek-session-88-a.html

personally, I ride a Giant Reign X with a boxxer on it. it's a 6.7" travel bike, but I can still throw the heaviest build ever on it and not be much more than 38 lbs. I think that it's a GREAT bike for racing around here. 8" of travel is rarely actually needed, and this area tends to have more pedally courses that will favor a lighter, shorter travel bike.

that said, it's not an actual full DH bike. it WILL beat you up more than an 8" bike, and will not be as forgiving of mistakes, but it gets the job done if you're up to it.

with the boxxer, I measured my HT angle at 65.5*, and a 13.8"ish BB height. it's essentially a glory with less travel.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I have to agree with the guy that built it when he said it was a race bike designed for fontana alone.

Oh, and to be very clear, I am in no way sayings its a bad bike, its a great bike. But for full blown DH, its just not it.

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Socom with new dropouts is actually second on my list right now. The new dropouts make it a light weight DH bike. I also think when Jeff said its not a full blown DH bike I think he is talking about Pro level riders too. Remember that the M6 was changed for regular consumers due to complaints about the low BB.

7. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Maybe I should add....When I am asked about a race bike..... i tend to look a the bike as they sit, without modification...IE New drop outs, HAR cups ETC. Like I said, The Socom is a great bike, Very capable bike.

Oh and the new drop outs fo the M6 were to stop the rear tire from hitting the seat tube, coinsidentally, it raised the bb just a touch.

Part that really gets me with the Socom Dropouts......Price.......and AVailability. Only one person at intense makes them, they are not production. He does it on his off time

8. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Umm no it was to raise the BB. Read the enterview with Jeff in decline. He says thats what he did and why. :wave:

9. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yes, but for the money, you can get a socom with slackers for a good bit less than most other bikes on the market. since it's a 'older' model, the demand isn't as high, and as such it's market price is lower.

if I had the money, I'd buy a 951 for a few reasons:
    1. lightweight. it won't be heavier than my reign, but has a more dedicated geo and more travel.
    2. adjustable. I really enjoy a super-low, super-slack geo for a lot of riding, but sometimes it's just not practical. you can raise the BB up and steepen things up for those slow, techy, pick-your-way fontana courses, or rock gardens in mammoth.
    3. the intense large actually is long enough for me (6'6" with a 33" inseam)

but seeing as the OP is looking for a race bike on the cheaper end of things, I'd definitely say the socom. I don't know the market price of a blindside these days, but I'd bet you could get them for around the same price as a socom.

another frame to consider would be a single-pivot Turner DHR. it's a reasonably weighted, proven frame. only thing is that they tend on the smaller end of sizing (so they may not be the best if you're tall), and the way that they handle seems to be rather love/hate for people. that said, they're right in the same price range (1700 @ go-ride). still a good made in USA frame too with good customer service.

10. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Good call Bry, Turner was and is still a great way to go.

11. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

ride some bikes, then see what you can afford

12. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    I MIGHT GET A 07 GIANT GLORY with 40's and DHX5
    ANYONE RECOMEND IT?

13. wannagobig

wannagobig Gigantic Member

Just buy my Faith3 for cheap and call it a day..

14. 27tat27

27tat27 Two Wheels One Pilot

Offroad fabricator
    Sam Hill would'nt say its a "pretty janky" bike...
    but he would say
    "and you are...?????":lol:

P.S. if you cant afford it its not for you...!!!!

15. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

it's a great bike. go for it if the price is right. it's a bit heavy, but is still a good bike for racing.

sam's results this year would beg to differ ;)

16. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    The Glory would definently be light than my KONA STINKY that i have right now!!! This is the bike i want to buy. Powder coated BLACK and i have the money. ALSO it has Cr1 engineering. Pro Tuning setup.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3550958/
    what do you guys think.

17. AHARDBALL

AHARDBALL New Member

18. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Sam's doesnt ride a stock Demo. He has a custom Demo 8. 1" lower BB, 8" of travel vs 8.5" and a 1.5 headtube.

19. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY

VERY TRUE! :clap:

20. mullarks

mullarks New Member

Investment Research
    It you are planning on racing in SoCal get something light with a low bottom bracket and make damn sure it pedals wells. Racing in Socal absolutely doesn't require a full blown DH bike, but there is almost nothing technical with a lot of pedaling.

Not to be an Intense homer, but they make some great bikes for SoCal racing. A Socom with the new dropouts is a sick bike and can be had for a good price. Or if you have some coin an Uzzi or a 951 would be perfect.