Downhill Dh Race Bikes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x], Jun 13, 2009.

1. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    Okay so in the near future i will be buying a race bike. So i thought might as well start looking into it now, so i get a bike thats awsome. So if you race downhill, tell me what bike you have and if you recomend it. Mabe tell me a few things about it.
    Some Bikes I like:bang:
    Foes 2:1 Mono
    Tomac Primer 220
    Session 88
    Giant Glory
    Specialized Demo
    Intense Socom
    So anyways just give me some info, id appriciate it.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    take out a second on the house and get em ALL!!!!!!!

3. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    I dont own a house!

4. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Take SOcom off the list, and replace it with teh Blindside. The Socom isnt truly a DH bike.

With that said, get a blindside, you wont be dissapointed

5. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    okay ya the TRANSITION BLINDSIDE Is sick too. looks light!

6. JohnnyGent

JohnnyGent In it to win it

Dude it depends on if you have a budget or not. I'm getting me a Glory this summer! But it will be the FR version, sick non the less:wave:

7. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    I have a job(more than minimum wage)and im saving

8. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    If you are looking to race Fontana i would suggest a 7 or 8 inch bike. If you are looking for a true DH bike you will probably want a little more travel.

The specialized is pretty janky, all of the others are fine.

9. thephat

thephat Active Member

951 - Light, adjustable geometry make it a safe bet for almost anyone looking for a dh bike, hot and new, and not that expensive for a US made pro level DH frame.

10. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    ya im looking to get a race bike. 7-8 inches

I LOVE the 951! Definently would buy that.

11. thephat

thephat Active Member

The Demo is a bit tall for my taste. I think this will change very soon. The fit, finish, alignment, qc, engineering etc are better than most (if not all) on the list IMO.

12. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Yeti 303R-DH. The R - just introduced - is an 8" bike, but it is snappy, responsive and two pounds lighter than the regular 303. It has adjustable geometry. Read the review in MBA. I ride a Santa Cruz V-10 which is a full bore world cup DH rig. I rode the 303R for three runs at Fontana and it was very different. Easier to ride, but just as capable at sucking up nasty rock gardens. Easier to jump and to accelerate than the V-10 (or the 303). It's single rail should be easier to maintain than the regular 303 as well. Finally - it looks great - especially in team turquoise with a white Fox 40. Yummy.

Here's the website: http://yeticycles.com/#/ourrides/303R_DH/TEAM/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  13. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

By the way, My blindside is 42 pounds with a heavy build.

Oh and in a responce to your Profile message...Here is mine

Oh, and I weigh 250, I know this bike can take a beating

13.6 BB height, 65Degree HTA.... def race geo, and right at 8 in travel. Simple, clean, works great.

[​IMG]

14. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    This is a fun one...

Wow, you have a lot of choices in this arena. There are so many fantastic DH bikes out there to choose from.

If I could get anything, it would probably be the Lapierre because it's so damn Euro--chrome with yellow DeeMax wheels and Bos suspension and you would have the most exotic bike within a 1000 miles of OC. Having not ridden the bike though, I am not saying much.

Currently I ride a 303 (2 rail system) and I think it is absolutely fantastic. There have been numerous articles on the bike, especially in Decline and Dirt. They all suggest that the bike really holds speed well when the going gets rough and that it is confidence inspiring. I could not agree more. Of all the bikes I've owned, this one seems to cater to a very centered and almost equestrian-like style. I feel like I can just stay centered and move the bike around underneath me and everything stays in shape. The bike also feels very low and racey--not really like a freeride machine. Actually, it kind of reminds me of being on skis the way it rides.

My 303 comes in at about 41 pounds--definitely not svelte, but certainly not a Brooklyn Machine Works with a Risse Bigfoot. I imagine that 2 or so pounds could be shaved off with some lighter kit (maybe a Boxxer WC instead of a 40) and a tubeless set up, etc.

The main drawback of the 303 is maintenance of the rail system and the linkage. There are tons of parts that need to be fiddled with to keep the bike solid--just check out the Yeti videos to see what's involved. Not a big deal, but you have to care for it. Another drawback is the price: ~$3600. Dude, that's steep! I would never have paid that much.

Overall, though, it is the business and I recommend at least trying one out.

As far as out-of-the-box DH bikes are concerned, however, I don't think you can beat the new Trek Session 88. The fit and finish of that bike, combined with the ultra-light weight, and the quality of the stock build is superb. Every detail has been attended to and it shows. Jax in Irvine has one on sale (with a Totem though--sell that sumbiatch and switch out the stem and you're golden!).

Whatever you choose, I suggest you try it out before you buy. Oh, and be honest with yourself. I see a lot of people going after the M6, sagging it out, and then sucking balls because they simply don't ride in a manner that brings that set up to life. Read the latest issue of Dirt and you'll see a review of that bike. It's telling. The moral of the story is that you should pick a bike that suits and hopefully enhances your riding style. I am totally guilty of that: I bought a bike that I thought was cool and I just sucked on it--it wasn't for me. I got the 303 and things changed.

Other bikes that come to mind are:

Tomac Primer - Beautifully crafted, super stiff, and excellent feel.

Commencal Supreme - Gee seems to do well on it. Reminds me of the old Giant DH team which was (IMO) better than the current Glory.

Orange 223 - Solid single pivot beauty. Very exotic considering that you rarely see them here.

Cove Shocker - As piloted by Tyler Morland...well not any more I guess.

Mondraker Kaiser DH - Dude, this is Fabien Barel's bike. That guy is a maniac on the DH and very meticulous about set up. You can bet this bike is nails.

Okay. Well, I hope you find yourself a sick rig. Good luck. Do your research and try out some bikes. The folks on this site ride a variety of bikes and I am sure you can do some testing.

Cheers

15. Lor

Lor New Member

special ed teacher
    Buy Kevin's Session.

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I love floating bottom brackets. That why I bought the bike. Super plush,corners great.
    IMG_0204.JPG

17. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Oh I guess I should add, the Tomac PRimer is Effing heavy, the frame itself is friign heavy, Taylors is 45.5 with a way lighter build than mine, the frame is BEEFY

18. Adrian

Adrian foesnasty no more....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cant go wrong with either one of these!!!!!!! the session is lighter, and pedals better, but the mono is a beast in the rocks.......

19. [x♦MR♦STINKY♦x]

[x♦MR♦STINKY♦x] JT

RIDING MY STEEL PONY
    Right now i think its gunna be one of these
    INTENSE 951 (Id buy a "Demoed" One) DEF. CHEAPER
    SESSION 88
    Foes 2:1 Mono
    JUST HAVE TO SAVE!

20. SlickShoe671

SlickShoe671 New Member

If you like dents in your down tube get the 88.