derailler

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by crispy, Dec 20, 2005.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    I bent my derailler at chiquita so i went and got an xt from jensons and im gonna put it on tomorrow...i got a new cable too and i need to know how i should adjust the cable...i've never adjusted a derailler...i have dura ace on my road bike and its all off, but i am too lazy to adjust, but now that my road biek and mountain bike need to be adjust i guess i should elarn...so....help!!

2. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
  3. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Come on dude, that shit is easy!!!!!! :D

4. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
  5. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    Derailuer help

ok, once you put the derailuer [D] on, it will be in it's neutral position. Install the cable and tighten the cable bolt. on xt's there will be two screws one for the top range (ie: The D is going into your spokes) tigten it and it reduces the top range allowed. The same goes with the lower gears. the barrel adjusyment on the actual shifter (I am guessing that you have shimano components) is there to help mid range shifting. It is pretty easy to do and when you get the D shimano puts instructions inside as well. if you have any more issues drop me a line.

\:D/

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    yeah, i talked to my uncle and he gave me a crash course on installing it and im gonna read the park tools stuff, but im waiting until i get a new chain or atleast the sram power link thing so i can have an easier time taking off and putting on my chain...the components only have less than 450 miles on them so a new chain (in case thepower link doesn't work with a shimano chain) should be find with all the other stuff im assuming...i just bent my derailler back as best as i could for now......all the gears work fine for the middle ring in the front and the biggest ring in the fron, but for the smallest ring only like the 4 biggest cogs on the back work so it will work until i get the power link thing worked out (which will be soon hopefully...CHRISTMAS MONEY ROCKS!!)