Ride Report Del Cerro/PV trails

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by genusmtbkr5, Feb 14, 2013.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Went out for ride in PV's Del Cerro yesterday morning after work. First ride back since returning from Phoenix. I've been here many times, but this my 1st RR about these trails. There's still lots of trails off limits to bikes. I've been hoping that the trails that were off limits have been opened, but the signage still indicates otherwise. I did talk to the Conservancy and was told it was going to happen, but the maps and signage still reflect the old rules so please obey them. There are way too many other trail users here with more influence than mountain bikers and we don't want what happened years back where the entire area was off limits.

Here are the pics I took.

Really nice and mild temps made for a nice spin

IMG_1812.jpg

Ishibashi trail looking very green
    . The high clay content is very evident as it's hard packed right now and so dry you can see the cracking in the soil. Still very fun and flowy.
    IMG_0352.jpg

Pano of Ishibashi
    IMG_1815.jpg

Once down from Ishibashi and then Toyon Trails, a cruise down Peppertree towards PCH and a short little climb up Klondike Canyon to get over to the Forrestal Reserve
    IMG_0354.jpg

Good place for a quick breather to enjoy the views.
    IMG_0355.jpg

A closer look of the views available here

IMG_1818.jpg

Continuing on and looking at Dauntlet Trail switchbacks which I'll climb and later descend
    IMG_0356.jpg

Going into the Forrestal Reserve, the start of the climb up Dauntlass

IMG_0357.jpg

Halfway up Dauntless, I took Cactus Trail
    IMG_0359.jpg

..., then I headed left onto Fossil Trail
    IMG_0361.jpg

..., then up Flying Mane which will take you to the top of this area.

IMG_0362.jpg

.., again stopping to take in the views..,
    IMG_1819.jpg

..., and continuing along Flying Mane

IMG_0365.jpg

2. genusmtbkr5

cont,

pics continued...,

Flying Mane connects to Mariposa. You start out with a short climb

IMG_0367.jpg

Mariposa is really the only place that's got some coverage

IMG_0368.jpg

and continues along the ridge.
    IMG_0369.jpg

Pano shot of Mariposa Trail

IMG_1820.jpg

Although not far from any trailhead, this section of Mariposa is the most remote section
    IMG_0370.jpg

Mariposa trail and the view of Catalina in the distance.

IMG_1824.jpg

Looking back at Dauntless Trail which I climbed earlier, then later descended. You can see the elevation gain from this pic.

IMG_0371.jpg

Panorama Trail is a fun fast descent. At the bottom, you make a sharp left hairpin and go down Sandbox
    . That's Peppertree on the left of the pic.
    IMG_0372.jpg

A look back at Sandbox Trail

IMG_0353.jpg

A view from Eagle's Nest and Harmon Overlook
    IMG_1825.jpg
    After grub in Redondo Beach's Naja's Place which has 88 brews on tap. I chose Pliny the Elder of course. :beer:

IMG_1829.jpg

I did just under 10 miles on this ride, but you can get more with repeats and out and backs. Not too much to these trails, but it offers great views and some fun sections both up and down. Very green and the weather really nice right now, but like all other trails in SoCal, this place gets dry and brown fast.

3. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Nice pictures. Let me know when you ride there again, been wanting to ride there. Never been there!

4. AKAlan

AKAlan Member

Film Payroll Accountant
    Wow, Naja's. I haven't been there since I was in college. I lived in Lomita for a couple of semesters back then and used to ride a bunch right next to Point Vicente where Hawthorne ends at PV West. There were jumps, long drops, and a nice short loop on the bluffs overlooking the ocean. Unfortunately the area was finally developed years ago and now it's a bunch of mcmansions.:?: If the local bikers are anything like the local surfers, you better watch your back while riding around there!

5. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    Great pictures and ride report, thanks Gene. Everytime I see one of your reports I want to go and check the place out, thanks for the inspiration.

6. TMS

TMS New Member

Thanks for the great ride report and pictures! Living in Long Beach this is actually one of the closer places for me to ride, yet I've only been there twice (my first couple of rides after being off the bike for many years). I've been a bit gun shy after reading about all of the user conflicts, trail closures and the horse folks taking pictures and whatnot of mountain bikers. I think it's time that I give it another try. Thanks for the motivation!

7. genusmtbkr5

^^^ One of the main reasons I like to share my rides.

There's not much to this area, but hopefully with the trails that are supposed to open, it should add more variations instead of repeating the trails as you work back to where you started. I've had no issues with the other users there. They're as friendly as you are to them. You will see equestrians on some trails so just remember to approach with caution as not to spoke the horse. I saw one on Ishibashi just below the section in the pic below. I slowed and the rider waved me by.
    .., she was very attractive I might add which is another reason I like riding there ;)

IMG_0352.jpg

8. Firebird_Fan

Firebird_Fan New Member

Engineer
    Great ride report! I love Del Cerro - its my local spot, i ride there every week.

If anyone ever wants to meet up, let me know.

9. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

How did the mid/lower half of ishibashi look? were the corners and edges still blown out?

Also where is the entrance to Mariposa if you are coming from the water tower/bathroom just before Ishibashi? I don't think i have ever seen that trail.

10. genusmtbkr5

There's a couple spots that are blow out from those who overshoot the turns. The only way I know to get Mariposa is to go into Forrestal Reserve from Barn Owl, climb Dautless to Canyon then go up Flying Mane and then take Mariposa at the junction or climb Pirate from the other end.

11. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

Thanks Gene, I actually do know any of those trails haha, I ride there often but i haven't kept track of the names.

12. JimN

JimN Member

Thanks for the inspiration to make the trip to Del Cerro after a 15-year or so hiatus. My wife and I got out there Saturday morning and did the exact same route you described. Sure was a beautiful day for it. I wish it wasn't such a difficult place to get to, but it was worth the drive from Venice to catch it while everything is green. Those short but tough climbs up Dauntless and Flying Mane will really peg your heart rate! I'll always miss the old "Fun Zone" days and the trails that were out on the bluffs where the golf course is now, but I'm thankful that there's still a decent network of trails open to bikes. Thanks to CORBA PV for their continuing effort to encourage public respect for the enviornment and mountain biking.

13. amrider04

amrider04 Member

Just rode there yesterday and the trails are in great condition. Also this is the first time I saw this trail marker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's official! Rattlesnake trail is open! :bang:

14. genusmtbkr5

Glad you enjoyed your ride. It worth doing RR's that inspire others to ride the trails I posted about. Thanks.

I was told about this by the RPV Conservancy, but yet have to ride it. Can't wait! Thanks!

15. Albacore

Albacore 34x18

Fireman
    It's very nice, with a coulple of brief technical sections. We rode not too long ago. Definitely a quick, and fun way down.

16. mrjonger

mrjonger New Member

Nice pictures. I'd highly recommend staying on trails as marked, rangers are handing out citations. Other socal mountains may be better in certain ways, but I've never really found one with better views down here.

17. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Sweet pictures!!!! I want to ride, so when is the ride next ride, am I free all week to ride. Never been there, and want to ride it.

18. DMAG310

DMAG310 New Member

del cerro is my backyard literally, about to go get a lap in right now!