Death at Anderson Truck Trail 10-03-2011

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by BMeX, Oct 4, 2011.

1. BMeX

BMeX I push my bike up hills

From what I understand a rider was found dead at Anderson Truck Trail yesterday.

Godspeed...

2. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Aw man, this sux. But to be honest i wouldn't mind going this way. My condolences.

3. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    I would.
    Just because I love riding bicycles, that doesn't mean I want them to kill me.

The thing about being older, say in your 50's or 60's, is that injuries that were painful in your 20's or 30's, can be fatal to older people.
    This especially applies to head injuries.
    There have been many studies (mostly about motorcycle safety) that have shown older riders have a higher risk of death from injuries that wouldn't kill a younger rider.

The combination (sum) of injuries is important also.
    Say, a head injury, plus a truama injury to the chest.
    While the injuries by themselves might have been survivable, the two together prove fatal.
    Those of us who are older are more at risk than our younger counterparts.

4. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

My deepest condolences to the family.

I understand what Pain Freak meant and had similar thoughts when I first read the posting. I want to live as long as possible, as long as I have a high quality of life.

But I'd rather die doing something I love than wasting away in a hospital from a terminal illness or to live my life not doing what I love.

Also, FYI, I found this description of Anderson Truck Trail on Geoladders (I wasn't familiar with the trail):

Anderson Truck Trail is a single track climb followed by a fire road climb and then some very technical single track down. The single track down has dozens of 3-6 ft drops as well as dozens of huge jumps making for a very challenging downhill course. Most of the jumps and drops can be avoided with single track routes that go around them.

Perhaps that's why mention of the XC helmet was made.

5. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Pretty much what I meant. I'm very sorry to hear this happened but I don't really think of ATT as a technical trail. This poor guy could of died from a variety of reasons but if you're doing something you love (and are still able to), I find this some what comforting. R.I.P.

6. Cosmo64

Cosmo64 New Member

Aircraft Tech
    This is why I always ride with a partner......

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Very sad, what seems to happen to us old folks is that we think we are still in our 40's and go charging up hill and our old hearts just can't do that anymore in the heat of the day. I read about this a few times a year and it is my cover story for being slow.

Dean

8. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

9. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Godspeed to him. We may never know what really happen but we can certainly assume, guess and speculate!
    Nonetheless, this is why I ride road!

10. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Hmmmm...I'm glad Ranger Nancy didn't see this post or I'd probably have to sell my bikes!

11. Politi-Cal

Politi-Cal New Member

Very sad news. It is stories like this that make me not want to ride alone.

12. rob240z

rob240z Glub Glub Glub

Soon to be unemployed Florida Keys bum
    I ride out there regularly since I only live about 20 minutes from the trailhead, and there are a few sections that can put a serious hurt on you if you're distracted. The last two rainy seasons really opened up the ruts and exposed some rocks that in the past were below the original trailbed.

13. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Riding with buddies would be nice but for some us its just not practical. I work weekends and holidays, when most peeps are out riding in giant groups I'm working and when most people are nose deep in their paperwork and rotting away in cubicles I'm out riding empty trails and living it up. The keys are to be prepared. I never ride without letting my wife know that I'm going to do so. I usually text her a quick note to let her know the general area I'll be riding in. I carry a small first-aid kit and water. If I'm meant to die on a bike in the middle of the wilderness there isn't a whole heck of a lot I can do about it, but don't get me wrong I try not to take major risks and I probably don't push my safety zone as often as others might who have some people who ride with them. I won't let the fear of dying or the fear of crashing keep from pursuing the hobby that keeps me happy and alive in far more ways than I can count. For me riding solo is my only option 99% of the time. Hopefully I won't die doing it but if I do...shrug...

14. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

We do not know what happened, but dying during your leisure time doing what you enjoy is as good a way to go as any.:)
    I did not know this man but I remember the story. Originally it was he crashed and then died when in fact he had a heart attack and then crashed.
    http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/1361.html
    Everyday is a gift.Sometimes it's hard to remember that, at least for me.:)

15. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

regarding ATT, it depends on what section of trail. The main ATT isn't more than an old jeep or truck path, but other parts above it are very challenging.

16. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Honey Badger hates dust, so he rides alone
    Vaya Conditios
    Happy trails

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2011
  17. bing!

bing! Active Member

Sorry to hear it.

Personally, I don't think about these things. Pain is more a deterrent for me than death itself.

Regret can only be had by the living.

When I pass, I don't think I'll be bothered all that much.

18. sunny

sunny New Member

bike shop
    Can anyone spot the 60-year old in this pic?

[​IMG]

Yep, that's Frank Wada on the right. He wasn't your average 60-year-old. In fact, there was nothing average about him. He was always excelling and always looking for ways to improve himself, mentally and physically.

Between 2006-2008, Frank and Tom and I used to ride together most weeks, twice or three times a week. In all the time I knew him, I think I always saw him with a smile and a word of encouragement. He was a true inspiration to people around him, who often mistook him for someone 15-20 years younger. Not just because he looked younger, but because his demeanor was always youthful and no matter where he was, he was happy to be there. Maybe he was born a natural happy optimist, but more than that I think he simply chose to be happy. And in so doing, he made the world a better place.

[​IMG]
    This is us on a ride in south San Diego (Mt Mama Miguel): Frank, Laura (sunny), Tom

Frank helped coach me to learn to wheelie over obstacles, although I never really got it consistently, and he always encouraged me to take every opportunity to hone my skills by riding curbs, trackstanding, jumping manhole covers, or better, trying to wheelie over them. He was a truly kind and gentle person while being one of the toughest guys I know. I am a better person for having known him.

On Monday, Frank was riding at Anderson Truck Trail, a very technical trail in spots. Many people shuttle DH rigs with FF helmets to ride Anderson. Frank was one to ride all the way up on his AM bike, then hit as many of the jumps as he could coming down. There was a big one he wanted to conquer when he was riding alone Monday. Details are still unknown, but he crashed on the jump or drop, and a rider came upon him and found him there.

This is how I will always remember him, a happy guy, happy to be riding his bike.

[​IMG]

Everyone who knew him and many of those who didn't will miss him dearly. May his memory be eternal.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  19. bing!

bing! Active Member

Thank you for the update. If you hear of anything more, please share it here.

20. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Thnx for the info Sunny...sad news...but great to hear he seemed to live life to the fullest.