"Dead shifting" - Think my cables are smoked

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by SDoldskool, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SDoldskool

SDoldskool New Member

SO I was riding last weekend and my rear derailleuer shifter (rapidfire Deore) went dead for a couple pushes in and then worked fine. I'm guessing that the cables are smoked, but is there anything else that would do that? Thx

2. DREWBUSH

DREWBUSH New Member

This should be in the workshop section, but while im here. I had similar problems with my old deore lx setup and found that the linkages inside the shifter housing(on the handle bars) were sticking. I just seperated them apart, cleaned and lubed. Hasent happened since

3. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Are the cables pulling with your shift? If not, it's the shifter. Can you reproduce the issue?

4. danmtchl

danmtchl danmtchl

Aera Energy LLC- Mailguy
    That happens to alot of older shifters, you can just spray some lube inside the casing and it should start going again. If not the shifter is toast and you will need to replace it. Make sure the bolt on the bottom is tight, it will not shift correctly if it is loose.

5. SDoldskool

SDoldskool New Member

It only happened a couple of times Sunday. I'm riding tomorrow at mission trails, so I plan on lubing it and seeing how that goes. It may be time to take it apart and give it a clean. Just did a full clean but didn't do the rapidfire guts. If it's still buggered, I'll take it apart.