Day of Silence and More discussion

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, May 24, 2008.

1. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    My Company recently purchase a Latte "doohickey" that costs us lowly employees nothing so I felt a little obligated to donate and get a STR doohickey of my own. I should have donated a long time ago.

If I'm now not subject to a day of silence, I will observe it anyway. What's good for one of us is good for all of us.

Thanks to all the Mods for all their hard work.

2. SAR_boats

SAR_boats Booze Bikes n Boomsticks

consultant
    Home Page:
    Growing pains. This isn't the first time STR has experienced them and it won't be the last.

When a society (or an online MTB forum) fails to police its own actions, it relinquishes it's freedom to do so, as it's actions will be monitored by the powers that be. Thus, sometimes the best way to display that you have the freedom of speech is to say nothing at all.....

And Remember this:

Attached Files:

3. b5driver

b5driver New Member

I will let this slide because of your lack of caffeine :wave: If you notice in the next sentence after the one of mine you quoted says that this is not always the case, but I have seen it happen.

My goal here wasn't to point any fingers or accuse anyone. This site is a great environment for me to share and especially learn. I, like you I'm assuming, don't want it to turn into something else. The only thing I was concerned about was it turning into an us vs. them thing. But, George does have an excellent point, this website is a privilege and we shouldn't abuse it. Hopefully, this will help people realize that, respect the site, the mods for the work they do, and each other.

BTW, I am signing up for the doo-hickey as a way of supporting George and the rest of the mods for all their hard work.
    :beer:

4. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I'm glad you're signing up as well. I think a movement of solidarity might be in order here. As a sign of appreciation and a sign that we are all mature enough to take the big "hint" that George has sent. I hope in kind that George will see that the majority of us get what's being said, agree with it and need no further example to move forward within the guidelines.

5. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

George, Just a question as I don't really post here much anymore.

What good will come out of doing this??

like I said, just a question.

6. Blue Rat

Blue Rat F.O.G.R.

Military Analyst
    In the words of Founding Father Ben Franklin: "They, who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."

In my humble opinion:

1. Great site and community and I appreciate the wealth of information available.:)

2. Private site in a public arena, owners should be able to choose how they maintain good order and dicipline.:)

3. Punishing the masses for the actions of a few? ... well, reread the quote by Ben Franklin.:)

7. ChipsandSalsa

ChipsandSalsa New Member

LBmtb, here's how I see it. A few people have acted like children, so now you are going to treat all non-doo-hickey members like children. I am an adult, and I believe I have conducted myself accordingly when posting on your website. I believe most other members, paying or non-paying, have played within the rules, too.

While it is within your rights to do what you are proposing, I question the wisdom of potentially alienating a significant percentage of your membership base, when it is clearly a handful of members who are creating problems.

Maybe I should just thank you for the "Day off." I am hopeful it will help me to once again realize what is important in life, as I intend to spend the "extra" time with my family, and spend more time on my bike that day.

With any luck, it will reveal to me I should spend less time discussing life, and more time living it. :)

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

You are one of the enlightened :clap:

C

9. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Anything that will bring back our Mountain biking site and weed out all of the crappy, self absorbed, whinny post is fine by me.

btw, I wouldn't mind if you got rid of the pub section either.

10. Solo

Solo Wanna ride?

+1,000. I couldn't have said it any better. Bravo.

While I really enjoy posting and reading others posts here, it is only one of many good MTB sites.

IMO the "elitist" feel of this site is what is getting out of control - starting at the top, then the ones with the "doohickeys", etc.. Remarkably, it's not the ones with the most "thanks".

It is your right to run the forums however you choose and your subjectivity used to censor those with whom you don't agree.

Please give us ample notice if you plan to enact this day of silence, as I will honor it by taking the rest of the week off as well.

11. guero

guero iFroth

as a seasoned veteran of str, i honestly don't know where the theory that people with doo-hickies have a sense of an elitest attitude towards those without doo-hickies is coming from.

**edit: i'd also like to add, i feel like i have taken too much heat in the marketplace forum over the past couple of months from users. i've tried to be cool about things, let some things slide, but then i get flamed by people who break the rules because i moderate their posts...i even got flamed for removing a fake for sale ad.

im not asking for pity, what i am asking for is respect of the VERY SIMPLE RULES in the marketplace. if you are in doubt or forgotten them, go read the marketplace sticky.

thanks.

bret, your marketplace moderator

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2008
  12. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Really? In may . . . the top five people with most thanks all are subscribers ("doohickey") and only 3 in the top 10 aren't.

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/top-thanks.php

Solo and chips - I think you two are missing what this is supposed to be about. Maybe you're only reading everybody else's response without reading the announcement. If anything this is an anti-elitism thing because it's an anti-drama move. It's a chance for everyone to catch their breath, stop taking STR for granted, and to remember what this community is all about.

If you're getting so upset because you feel that people who support STR get preferential treatment on STR (what a crazy idea!) then I'll change it a bit - it'll be for a small chunk of a day and will go for everyone.

13. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    While I do not agree with the "elitist" statement. I think what most are upset with is the simple alienation and being treated like children.

Look what it's accomplished so far.

As far as a small chunk? It doesn't matter if its a month. It's the act not the time limit.

I dont want to sound unappreciative, you guys have made something really special here but this has just gotten silly. I think everyone need to take that "breath".

14. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    George,
    I appreciate what you are doing and thank you for "reeling in" the mess, its a dirty job!:lol:

I have been a member for almost 2 years and miss quite a few of the folks that have dropped off the forum and grow tired of the nastiness in some of the forums lately.
    It saddens me that something so simple became so complicated, I thought we were all here to ride, period.
    That is how come I have never had a problem giving to the site my time, efforts, support and money.
    When my wife, daughter and I moved here 2 1/2 years from Minneapolis all we had for peeps were her family. I love them to death but they cannot ride worth a sh$t:lol: so I did a couple local races, met some guys and they turned me onto geoladders.
    The 2nd ride I did via geoladders was at the Luge and I met this guy on a Jamis named Jose. He told to check out this site, and here I have been ever since.
    I have experienced so many great trails and rides thru STR, its almost unreal.
    I count many members here as friends, and that is not a word I use lightly. The honor, caring and integrity that I have experienced with folks from this site make me proud to be a member and call so many of you my friends!
    I hope that we can get back to what this has been and can be again.
    Thanks for letting me rant, but I do take this site personally...maybe that is not a good thing:?: but its how I roll!

15. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Jorge, while I respect and understand what you're trying to accomplish, by doing what you're suggesting, I don't think will have an impact or meet your objective.

Bottom line: Ban the abusers, period! 3 strikes and you're out. At first for a week. 2nd 3 strikes for a month and 3rd 3-strikes, banned for good.
    Wouldn't that be more effective and tackling the issue head on vs. a more general public punishment (which includes the majority, who are innocent) as you suggested? Just food for thought.
    In addition, as others have mentioned, some of this is from growing pains and due to popularity of the board. It's a good thing but along with popularity, comes some of the non-sense. At the very least, the problem is being addressed vs. sweeping it under the rug. It's a good start and I'm confident these issues will resolve.

BTW, I realize I'm one of the 3 in the top ten non-doohickey thanked members. It's been a rough year but I will see what I can do. It surely isn't because I'm not being supportive. Thanks again!

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I will also contribute soon George.I would have sooner but I dont like to do transactions on the net ( just the way I am). But I can send you money via mail or in person.

17. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

The Pub

The Pub is:bang::beer:

Why can't some folks just not go in there:?:

I stay out of the racing and other threads because they do not interest me. However I do not think they need to go away:)

18. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    I admit it! I am guilty of tossing a cup of gasoline on the fire from time to time. Then I just sit back and keep warm. Sorry!

19. ArrrKelly

ArrrKelly New Member

I like the drama and a good sh!t fight here and there. But, this is George's site and he can do what he wants Hard to argue with success.

20. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Feelings

You have hurt my feelings a few times!