Cytomax race recap

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ECOdork, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    hehe...for on thing...i'm standing next to you on that podium....
    *hint: I'm not Matt N.:eek:

I'm a Warrior's guy, singlespeeder (not today) and a generally tall person.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Classes break down like this:

Solo-M or F
    2 Person teams
    5 person teams
    5 person singlespeed teams
    Corporate team - 6 to 10 riders

Sign up and come out. It is a real blast riding out there at night.:lol::lol:

mtnbikej

3. ocrider

ocrider New Member

College student/USFS Ranger/Mountain bike Racer
    Home Page:
    Awsome event today. I had so much fun Good job to everyone who raced and supported the event. Exspecialy to Matt for his first place finish. It was nice to have have all the STR guys there. Thanks Jason and Eron for a sweet coarse, the deisghn was perfect. It was awsome seeing Chris get his bike he realy deserves it. See you on the trails.
    Matt

4. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    Dude I would love to race in the 24 hour race, maybe a STR All-star 5 Person Team. The only thing holding me up would be, that fact that I would have to invest in a light, and you all know how expensive that can be.

Matt since the showdown didn't happen this race, and considering our friendship I'm calling you out for the Jax's Toad Festival. (thank Lucas because he reminded me that the Cytomax was supposed to be the showdown between us).

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    If I don't race that (which I probably won't) then you can borrow my L&M ARC HID.

6. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Good job everybody. I would have liked to race, but I was kind of turned off by the short laps. It's completely different than the races I did pre-'96. I'm regretting that decision now. It's all I could talk about yesterday to my wife. I was either talking about Spring Classic, or 24 Hours of Temecula.

On Wednesday, I did a couple laps at 24 Hours of Temecula. Doug @ geoladders had me post one of the laps on this course, despite it not being the actual route of the race. Anyway, I rode with maxxxlaw and some friends of his (members of Team Uphill Endos). They're fast and it really brought the competitiveness out of me again. I've got the urge to race, but wish I had more time to train. I'm not slow, but I'd like to be faster. I'm certainly interested in doing 24 Hours of OC and/or 12 Hours of Temecula. I've already got a L&M Li-Ion ARC, but I'd like to get something for my bars to give me back some shadows. The ARC just washes everything out when it's on the helmet.

Why can't the race directors plan these races so they're not so close together on the calendar?

7. klowie

klowie New Member

Great job to all you guys, especially Kipp and the 1st-timers. I almost puked on the 1st climb up to the new single track because I was pushing too hard. Then I settled into a groove. I was trying to catch a guy all through the second lap but not making any headway when he lost his chain. I felt so bad passing him. Thinking back I should have waited for him like that German guy did for Lance on that one tour.
    This was another great Warrior's Society event. We are pretty lucky to have an organization with their philosophy organizing events for us. If it was just about the racing the vibe would be way different.

8. mtnbikej

Remember....it is the quality of the lap.....not the quantity of the lap.

We did our best when we made our 2006 schedule not to conflict with other events. Unfortunately, you cannot always get the perfect day on the calender.

mtnbikej

9. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    True. If I had the time to pre-ride Friday evening, I'm sure I would have signed up for Saturday.

Really, I'm just torqued that I took 6 years off MTB'ing. Well, not on purpose, it's just that kids and work took precedence. Now I'm not as fast as I'd like to be, and race season is upon us.

10. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    George, btw, GREAT JOB with the poster behind the podium. I didn't even realize at first that that was the Cytomax banner, you photoshopped. Wish that could have been a real STR banner.

11. dukethenuke

dukethenuke Faster than you

Sales
    Home Page:
    George I'll take you up on that offer if you don't sign up for the race.

12. shleppy

shleppy Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

dung collector
    Que Pasa roy? You are right about your comment that if you would have pre rode on Friday you would have raced. I rode the course on Friday and it was so fun that I ended up showing up on Saturday morning. Looks like there were quite a few guys from the SocalTrailRiders and GeoLadders crew out there.. lots of fun. There is another "regular" (meaning no endurance) race out there in Oct or Nov.. give a go brudda!

13. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

I'd really like to see some of the STR guys come out to race Fontana on Cinco De Mayo weekend for the Nationals!! i know you guys would do great!!

14. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    What up schlepp? I would like to start doing some racing again, but I need to take baby steps with my wife.

15. mtnbikej

16. bananaseat

bananaseat Member

I also can only echo the positive notes of my STR comrades. It was also my first race and much like my first L@!, my adrenalin got the best of me and I busted my nut way to soon. My second lap was a much better experience.

Huge props to Warrior Society for a great event, as mentioned every Warrior Rep. had a great attitude. Also the STR race support crew were awesome. It was very, very cool to see and hear thier support during the race.

MTNBIKEJ; don't mean to sound like a stalker, but which Warrior you be?? Post a photo.

17. mtnbikej

I think I was the only one walking around the upper portion of the course taking pictures.

But here is me:

http://www.warriorssociety.org/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=697

Or me:

[​IMG]

I am usually behind the camera so I don't get a lot of pics of me:
    [​IMG]

18. i am dino

i am dino Guest

MTNBIKEJ, great shots! I was rider 112 and couldn't be happier with the shot you snapped of me, you can see me ahead of two riders, sweet!

I think the course was great, I didn't pass too many people but I was passed by a few and simply pulled over and stopped to let them by. Having not attended any of the prerides I had no idea what laid ahead of me around the next corner, did it put me at a disadvantage, perhaps slightly, but I don't think me knowing the course would have made me any faster necessarily. (i'm just not that fast period). The event was a great way to get my feet wet with racing and I am thinking of doing the fall classic, but maybe entering the Novice division since it is going to be two laps I believe. (I was in intermediate for this race). The two laps were a good call. I felt a bit stronger on my 2nd lap as my legs and lungs were really warmed up by that time and I also then knew what to expect around the next turn. It was a demanding course climbing wise, and some of the downhill switchbacks were tricky if you didn't monitor your speed when entering them. I also felt that the downhill portions were long enough to give your legs a break from the climbing.

All in all this was a blast and I really don't know how you could improve it. Nice job bro!

19. mtnbikej

Thanks man, glad you liked it and had fun. Fall Classic will probably be the same number of laps as this race was.

We kept a couple of the DH switchbacks really tough to challenge everyone. Granted they ended up tougher than we expected. We will probably fix them for the next event.

mtnbikej

20. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Thanks for posting those pics MTBj! Didn't realize that was you there...