Cytomax race recap

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ECOdork, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    WooHoo! A great time was had out there today!!! :clap:

Congrats to Kippy and Young Matt on their 1st and 3rd finishes, respectively!!!:bang:

Sorry I had to blaze out of there so fast but had somewhere's I needed to be!
    ...but I just had to sneak in the first comment before I head out!

Job well done to all the riders and thanks to the non-riders for the support!

Good finally meeting you jesse! And good to finally talk with ya' Dean, off the bike that is!

Can't wait to see the pics and have peeps post their full reports!\\:D/

And nice work on the part of the Warrior's Society! Job well done!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2006
  2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Good times today. Thanks to everyone who came out and raced or hung out. Pictures will go up later, there are some good ones :bang:

3. i am dino

i am dino Guest

First of all, CONGRATS TO VON SKIP for cleaning up his division and taking 1st, and also CONGRATS TO OCRIDER for taking 3rd, nice job guys!!!

Today was alot of fun. I know most of us had no idea of what to expect going into this thing and it was a blast. Without being able to ride any of the practice sessions I had no idea what I was in store for. The start was great, no major incidents or pile-ups, although once we left the pavement and hit the dirt I dropped my chain, not a great way to start the race, so I had some catching up to do. Unfortunately this happened at least 4 more times throughout the race, causing me precious moments off the clock (JOKING about precious moments off the clock). I didnt care how I finished, I just wanted to finish. So, about 1/2 way through the first lap I was thinking to myself, what did I get myself into, doing another lap is going to be pure hell. There was a lot of climbing with a pretty good amount of descending as well. The switchbacks were very nicely groomed and I cleaned all of them on both laps. There were many course marshalls dispersed throughout the track and ALL of them were VERY supportive as I passed by. There were a few instances were I pulled over to let some of the guys in the Expert Divison pass and lap me, haha, those guys blaze harder than the Average Homeboy! At one point I caught back up to Aldo and Lance, only because Lance was marinating a switchback. :lol: All in all this was a good time, I'm glad I entered and I'm glad I sacked up and went into the Intermediate Division, doing 2 laps was a blast. With this being my first race I'm maybe not one to squak about sandbaggers, but it seemed quite obvious that some of the "novice" riders who podiumed weren't exactly "novice".

Special thanks to the Warriors Society for putting on a great event. I know there was some confusion regarding how many laps per class and what not but it turned out to be perfect in my book. Seeing Chris Vargas receive is new SANTA CRUZ BLUR LT with the custom WS paint job was really cool too. It is obvious that this is such a great group of people and I was proud to be a part of the event.

I also want to thank the STR support crew out there. Gonzo and Craig were there cheering me on as I headed up the singletrack for my 2nd lap and perhaps the highlight was when I was heading down the fireroad into the chicain (sp?) area towards the finish and I heard all of the crew cheering me on, that was very cool and made me feel great hearing all you guys yelling for me. Don't shoot me if I miss anyone but I believe it was D. Stepper, Lucas, Steve, Gonz, Craig, and then the racers who finished before me, Von Skip, OCRIDER, Lance, Dale & Sarah, and Aldo. Stu is was great seeing you too.

*Extra special thanks to Craigger for letting me use his EPIC, that bike was awesome and I think I would have died if I did this on my Huckler!

I can't wait to see the pix!!!

4. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Great write up, davidHUCKELHOFF!!

Glad to see everyone had a blast! :bang:

Congrats to those who placed!! :clap:

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Race pics

First of all - Great job to everyone that sacked up to do this. :clap: It was cool to see you guys out there having a good time. Kippie and OC Rider Matt - Way to bring home the hardware. Not only did Kippie smoke his class, I think he was 4th overall intermediate. And this was on a 5 Spot. Not some cross country rocket. OC Rider actually jumped up an age bracket and still ended up on the podium. I feel sorry for the competition the next few years.

Bret - Sorry about the shifting problem on the Epic. It was working great the last time I rode it. Maybe I bumped the derailleur transporting it.

Dell, Aldo, Lance, Jose, and I think a new rider I have not met yet. Great job!

Here are a few pics:
    #1 Steve rocking his homebrew STR gear.
    #2 Jose burning up some singletrack
    #3 Kippie wondering where the rest of his class is
    #4 Aldo - Every picture I have of you, you're smiling. I guess you had fun. I looked at his bike after the race. He's running freakin' double ply downhill tires. I guess light weight bikes are for pu$$ies.
    #5 Dell - Brought the Stumpy out of retirement. Looking stylish with a new lid.
    #6 Bret - Happy that at least the chain is still on. For those that aren't up on the latest MTB fashion craze - Bret is modeling a matching jersey/bike ensemble.
    #7 OC Rider Matt - Pushing 29" wheels, making it look easy. Way to go stud.
    #8 Lance - The Energizer bunny. Awesome job.

C

C

Attached Files:

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Here are my pictures. There are tons more in the album.

Grub after the race
    [​IMG]

STR has two on the podium! Skippy 1st, Matt 3rd
    [​IMG]

Maxwell's
    [​IMG]

Skippy Before the Race
    [​IMG]

We finished!!
    [​IMG]

Lacey at the start
    [​IMG]

Jose Approves
    [​IMG]

Most of the STR racers
    [​IMG]

Aldo and kids: future STR members!
    [​IMG]

Not complete without an intense Dell photo!
    [​IMG]

Shorts HAVE to be tight if you race!
    [​IMG]

Matt, Bret, and Lance
    [​IMG]

7. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Nice pix!!!

Thanx for sharing

8. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Looks like all you STR racers had a great time out there! I really wish I didn't work on Saturday's.....next time I'm just going to take the day off :-$ Congrats to both Matt's and everyone who raced :beer:

9. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

congrats on taking 2 of the top 3 finishes guys! way to represent STR

10. Skeeter

Skeeter uno, dos, tres bubbs

Cox Communications
    Awesome racing guys! Nice to see all the STR guys representing. What a great job by all you guys.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Hey matt, that's awsome:beer: , I see a turner sponsership in your future.:-$

12. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Congratulations to all who finished and/or placed! Well done!!! I'm looking forward to being in a race one of these days. First, I have to learn how to not be slow. :lol:

Great job all, and thanks for the pictures! :bang:

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Well, I am glad to see that you all had a good time. I was out on the course taking pics........I will have them posted later. Everyone that went by seemed to be having fun, which is what it is all about. The race went on without any glitches. We had a great turnout, especailly considering the other competiton we had this weekend with 24hr race in Temecula, Tir-race somewhere, the Ensanada ride and Boneli Park XC tomorrow.

It was perfect racing weather. Overcast and cool. The rain held off til after the race.

From my advantage point it seemed as though traffic was not really an issue on the course, would this be correct?

There were plenty of Intermediates and Experts that were definately hurting by the time they got halfway through the 2nd lap and 3rd lap.

You are always going to have sandbaggers show up. I am glad that some of you stepped up and raced Intermediate.

For those that this was the first race, it gets better the more times you do it. So are ya hooked?

For those that were unable to preride the cousre, did you find that you were at a disadvantage to those that did preride and had an idea of what the course was like?

Las of all.....how did you all like the course? This is the first course that I had to design and want to know what I need to fix and what I need for the next event.

Congrats to those that raced and podiumed. Hope to see you all out at the next event.

Thanks
    mtnbikej

14. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Awesome event put on the by the Warriors Society today. And thanks for the non-racer STR boys for showing up with there support. I was not expecting a first place finish in my catagory at all. I went into this race to have fun and hang with the guys. Whadya know! Good Job OC on the placing and all other other first timer STR guys!! There is a dog on the podium...:confused:

J, your right about the course traffic. Wasnt bad as we thought. I had a couple issues of slower riders holding up traffic, but no big deal. I noticed the downhill section was smoothed out alot the jumps were more rounded. I also appreciate the raffle as I won some nice pedals! Thanks again to the WS for an awesome event. I have a feeling more STR guys will join future events. 24hours anyone???

Kipp

15. Ponch

Ponch Shake and Bake!

Criminal Investigator
    Well this was my first race, it was tougher than I thought. I have just gained mad respect for this sport and more so for you STR guys! Yes I am hooked, I want to race again, count me in. I wish I rode the course last weekend because I had no idea where I was and with all the climbing it became a mental issue. Racing really shows you where you are strong and where you need to do more work. In my case kicking before and after the race was my strength; climbing, decending, cleaning switchbacks, and the rest that goes into riding was my weakness:lol: I want to get Meadows and just climb those bad boys till I get better.

Thanks to all the STR folks for "welcoming" me into the club. Congrads to Skippy and OCrider, you guys are great athletics, keep it up.

For those of you who wanted to come, but were not sure about the whole race thing. Man, its like most of the other STR guys said, just go to finsh and have a good time with everyone.

How many guys per team for 24hours?

16. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Way to go you all. Great job! Racing really is a different animal.
    It looks like Bret is battling some serious race thigh.

17. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Well said boyz!

My brief recap:
    Like brett, about 1/2 way into my first lap I was questioning my decision to do two laps even though I HAD done two laps during practice. The faster than usual pace you are trying to keep during a race makes things a bit tougher. But after I got over "the hump", I found a groove and just settled in. Mentally the second lap was easier for me. The good vibes and positive attitude on the course really helped keep me motivated. That one nasty "main-divide-like" climb was a real beast the second time around! Funny the strange things that popped into one's head (or into my head at least) during those grinder climbs...I don't know about everyone else, but the mountain spirit was guiding me along! :-s

Anyway, I don't want to sit here repeating what I and everyone else said already, but again, good effort by everyone and good times!\\:D/

mtbJ-Traffic wasn't too bad IMO. But hard for me to compare as it was my first race. I think this being a race with friendly vibes helped alot. A-holes and curmudgeons on the trail would have seriously put a damper on things. As dH said (and I'm sure a few others besides me thought) I questioned some of those "novice" riders as they blasted past me despite a 2 min head start while barely breaking a sweat (not that I'm hot sh*t or anything). Nevertheless, I think everyone and everything shaked-out pretty well overall. I'm proud and honored to have had the pleasure of riding with the Warriors Society (and the STR crew!). They do an admirable thing for the beautiful moutains and wilderness in our backyard! As an ecologist/MTB'er I'll take their ideas and spirit with me where ever I end up...and I do kinda like the sound of the Toad Fest and/or 24 hours of OC :bang:

18. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Way to go guys! I think I'll change my name to Matt...

19. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Good work out there Kipp.
    I never even saw you.
    Yep, don't be too confused about the dog on the podium. That's my dog. She's very co-dependant.

I also went in to the race to have fun, but more to train for an upcoming 100miler. I'm more of a "racer" type that you guys like to roast...you know the tight-pants type? So we do lots of heart-rate trianing. It's MUCH easier to keep that HR up when you have little rabbits ahead of you to chase.:lol:

And I do mean LITTLE.

I must have 100lbs on you and Matt! Here's hoping for a Clydesdale category next time.:-({|=

20. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Who are you again Padre?? :?: