Cyclist killed in Corona Del Mar (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by burritoh, Feb 21, 2011.

1. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Looks like he was from money too...my bet is she does Jail time...as she deserves.

2. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Actually, you don't have a better chance. At intersections, people in cars (non-drunks) are not watching for someone moving at the rate of speed that you do on a bike vs walking. Also, a lot of drivers drift into the intersection while looking left (not just signal intersections, but residential streets as well). Plus, as a moving vehicle, you are expected to follow the rules of the road (ride the same direction of traffic). My daughter was hit by a car, riding less than a block into our street and the moto cop blamed her (even though the car didn't stop and hit her in the middle of the hood). She was riding home from school, and the driver had just picked up her son from school--she didn't stop at the sign, but was rolling it. My daughter had stopped at that intersection, moving after she thought she made eye contact with the driver.

Remember: you are NOT safe and you are a moving vehicle.

3. zipsbiker

zipsbiker New Member

I saw that sign but it was in Silverado Canyon not Santiago. It is on the right as you climb to the top. There was a big red semi-truck parked in the driveway. To think that some people think that's funny. I must have no sense of humor.

4. TsukubaSteve

TsukubaSteve Keepin IT real

IT
    I don't even like to drive on the streets here let alone ride a bike on them. I just don't trust my life in the hands of the careless drivers in this area; it's not worth it.

My condolences to the families involved in the tragedy. We definitely need to do something to address all the problems with road biking here because it's not going anywhere and this can't be allowed to continue. There are plenty of other states that are bike-friendly; it takes a lot of work but the result is worth it.

5. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Probably due to all the riders riding through Silverado all the time. Not that I condone the sign as I'm one of those riders, but it is more likely than not that some riders aren't as courteous as they should be when doing the Motorway loop back to Blackstar or the roadies who ride through there. It's a narrow, slow road; I'm sure the residents who live back there are negatively impacted by cyclists. The person who put the sign up is probably right--inevitably, someone is going to get hit; hopefully it won't be bad.

6. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

Riding against the traffic is more risky, in part because you are increasing the likelihood that you encounter more cars, i.e., you close on them and they close on you.

7. Silver

Silver New Member