Cyclist killed in Corona Del Mar (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by burritoh, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    Interesting Stats: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811386.pdf

Highlights:
    Twice the likleyhood of being run over between 4pm - 8pm than 4am to Noon.
    CA highest kill rate and climbing.
    Alcohol involved in over 40% of fatalities.
    Urban kill rate twice rural.

I think it is naive to expect that things will change in SoCal as the next generation is becoming increasingly more distracted and streets become more crowded. I'm over the road. I've tried to ignore these stories for years but it now seams like a monthly tragedy. When 99% mtb's crash we're talking about slings, plates and screws not body bags. As my motorcycle buddies say, "it's not if, it's when." My best to his family, what a stud. 58cm Specialized roadie for sale, Dura Ace, cheap.

2. TREE

TREE New Member

Just confirms my resolve to stick to the dirt. If I get wrecked there, at least I know it was my own carelessness..... Prayers to the family of the fallen rider.

3. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Thanks...starteling

"most pedalcyclist fatalities in 2009 occurred at non-intersections."

Translate ran over from behind at high speed....scary

This thread depresses me....and I am not an "All things Euro Guy"...was there this lest fall and man they are just soooo far ahead on the whole cycling as a way of life thing....avalanches of 40-60 year olds just pedaling to and from work shopping etc...and it understood the cars need out look out for them.

Did anyone see the "Cyclist, The new Hood Ornament" sign on Santiago canyon a couple weeks back...

4. M.C. Gong

M.C. Gong I am the motor

CENIC
    Man that sucks. If I ever ride road, it will be a on a designated trail like SART. Feel bad for the driver and the Biker.

Just yesterday I was driving on the freeway in the carpool lane with my wife. A guy swerves into my lane in front of me. I pull up next to him and sure enough, he is texting on his BB and laughing. My wife stares at him, he looks over at her and then looks back down at his BB and starts laughing again. Clearly not having any focus on the road.

Just as bad as those people who drive 15mph under the speed limit constantly breaking because they are on their cell phone. Ridiculous!!!!

5. VinceM

VinceM Member

Writer/Reporter
  6. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

The only problem is that many of us "non-roadies" occasionally have to ride on the street to either access a trail-head or to tie a loop together. This could have happened to me, or to any of our mountain biking friends. RIP.

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

8. Silver

Silver New Member

You must have missed the thread a few weeks ago where a fellow mountain biker expressed the same sentiment because he was getting slowed down getting home to his case of Budweiser on his drive through the canyon after work.

I'm seriously considering leaving my road bike pinned to the trainer permanently.

9. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    So true. Let us not forget that those who frequent the Luge - 3 out of the 7.5 mile loop is on the road - Santiago Canyon and Live Oak nonetheless. Two streets known for both cyclist and motorist fatalities. RIP.

10. TREE

TREE New Member

I have almost been taken out on the road between Cooks and Modjeska on more than 1 occasion. Just people veering into the bike lane carelessly. That part of the trail scaresme more than the Luge itself.

11. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I feel exactly the same way

12. newport54

newport54 New Member

Designer
    i hate to say this...but i live in the area and its all old money. She'll never see a day in jail.

13. LAMint

LAMint Uphill or Down

I was subpoened 2 months ago for a deposition as witness to a bicycle accident that happened 3 years ago. Rider was hit by a young lady that turned RIGHT from the LEFT turn lane at the intersection of a similar 4-lane cross street in Irvine. She changed her mind about turning left and cut across two lanes to go right, hit the rider who was legally entering the intersection, certainly not expecting a vehicle to come from the LH turn lane. I watched the entire event unfold, was 1st on scene, called 911 within seconds, and parked my car in a position to keep traffic from running the bicyclist over. He was bleeding and pretty out of it, but alive when taken away.

When asked by the defendants paralegal over the phone if I recalled the event details I said "yes, like it was yesterday". Next day I was contacted by the law firm and told they no longer needed my deposition because they "settled" with the plaintiff. I hope my finite recollection of the incident led to their decision.

Hopefully a Judge in this latest tragedy will put great value on the life of Mr. Britel, weight the circumstances properly and dole out her sentence accordingly. Otherwise her next victim could just as easily be an attorney or judge.

14. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    I'm amazed at how some folks, including unfortunatly som STRers, always find a way to blame the cyclist. Every cycling accident is the result of a driver having the audacity to make something in their life more important than the life of a cyclist. Could be a drink, a phone call or an email. When you see a cyclist on the road just remeber that there is nothing you are doing atthat time or going towards that can be more important than the life of that cyclist.

And as for whether its a roadie or an mtber, it so doesn't matter. I'll steal an add quote from peopleforbikes.org:

NO MATTER HOW WE RIDE, WE CAN RIDE AS ONE!

When you drive along and see that roadie remember he is one of our family....

15. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    +1 for Vlad. 2 wheels is 2 wheels.

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

EVERY cycling accident? Yeah I don't think so, I was pretty dam close to killing some chick last weekend when her little crew rode 3 wide on the shoulder of PCH (its not really wide enough to do that) then the one closest to the lane of traffic swerves right in front of me, if there was car next to me I would have to chose hit her or the car. She was lucky I was also able to swerve and miss her, I had maybe 15-20 feet at 55mph to react to her suddenly being in front of me.

17. XD Chetty

XD Chetty New Member

Graphic Designer
    Best wishes to the family :(

When i am on my road bike I try to stay on the bike trails as much as i can and out of the streets. ill even take the sidewalk if i feel its to sketchy to ride on the street, its slower but safer

18. XS NOIZ

XS NOIZ New Member

Commercial Property Manager
    Sad to see another one go for such a senseless act, but I still have to say, THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I RIDE OPPOSITE TRAFFIC AT NIGHT. It isn't a guaranteed "stay alive", but I've got a much better chance of surviving in the even that I see something unfolding, than if i've got my back to an oncoming car that's being driven by a drunk driver.

19. obie

obie New Member

poolman
  20. bigringrider101

bigringrider101 Save the DRAMA fo ur MAMA

Finish carpenter
    You hit the nail... it happened to me 2 weeks ago. I rode to a trail head that's about 3 miles from home. At the end of the day coming back I was crossing a street and s driver made a left turn right into me. I was very lucky to make it out OK, but my bike didn't make it.
    Like somebody else said it could have been anybody.... walking, skatebording, rididng.