Cyclist hit on Santiago Canyon

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by TREE, Nov 3, 2011.

1. barbixy

barbixy New Member

what?

What kind of people write moronic comments like this? A shallow, moronic person who thinks everything they encounter should be turned into a polarized argument/competition is the answer. Just shut up please, you're embarrassing yourself.

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    ^^^I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic/cynical...

3. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Lets also not forget all the little tiny debris and miniature obstacles that hardcore roadies like to avoid, especially when riding solo. She may have been coming up on a road crack, glass, or a downed tree branch and made a split-second decision to swerve around it.

We'll see how this develops over the next couple of weeks. Accident investigation teams are usually pretty good at reconstructing trajectories, if nothing else, and clear up sideswipe vs. 90 degree turn versions of the story.

[Re other comments: Santiago does take a lot of roadies, but I still think it's safer than PCH]

4. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    Regardless of the cause of the accident, my thoughts go out to her family and loved ones.

The only way to see it now is: she is a daughter, and maybe a sister, a mother and a friend. My heart goes out to all of them in a time like this.

5. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

but if the Garmin was attached to her bike, IT will be able to.

Even if the the cyclist made a "90 degree turn", is it not still the responsibility of the driver?
    "the driver of the vehicle that rear-ends the other vehicle is almost always considered to be at fault due to not being within stopping distance or lack of attention."

6. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

No, it's not. The driver was going 50mph (according to the article) and the rider turned in front of the car and was sideswiped. There's absolutely nothing the driver could've done but slammed on their brakes but I take it that there wasn't enough time to stop. Very sad, very tragic.

The Garmin isn't going to give enough data, I don't think, to figure much out. I have one and it's not that accurate to figure something out within a few feet / inches.

7. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Garmin advertised accuracy is approximately 15 meters. It can get lower than that by averaging where you are going over time, etc., but you're not going to get the sub 1-meter accuracy (which would be military GPS or professional surveyor equipment) needed to determine the outcome of an accident investigation from that thing.

8. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

Can anybody find out why the OC Register, updated at 3:03 this afternoon says that she is still on Life Support? Is that true, and if so, let's hope that she will pull through.

9. Jorge Lujan

Jorge Lujan New Member

Here's the latest from the Cycles Veloce Site www.cyclesveloce.com :

Brett House on November 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm
    Spoke with Mark this afternoon, 11-4-2011, he is thankful for all your prayers Sherri, is still in very critical condition on life support, she broke her neck, shattered her arm, and leg( I don’t know which side),she has low brain activity, however the brain swelling is not as much as the doctors first anticipated, she has good blood flow to both legs, and is able to track fingers with her eyes,this an improvement from yesterday continued prayer is requested, for Sherri,and Mark,
    God Bless

10. sportbike7

sportbike7 New Member

luckily she is still alive

Sherri is still alive but in critical condition on life support, I just visited her in the hospital. Its a sad accident no matter whos at fault. Please keep Sherri & her family in your prayers & ride safe

11. Livepe

Livepe New Member

Thank you for the update. I don't know Sherri but she looks very familiar, so I know I've seen her around. I can't stop thinking about what happened. It could have happened to any of us. My prayers and thoughts are with her and her family. I hope she pulls through this. Please provide updtes on her condition if you can. She has a lot of people pulling for her.

Teri

12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Glad she's still with us. Let's all hope that she pulls through this. I feel for her and her family.

13. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired

:( Please let her pull through and have some semblance of a normal life! I'm talking to you! I know you hear me!!

14. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

There are a lot of people who are thinking about her and hoping that she pulls through and recovers fully. Even people who don't even know her. That's a good thing. I hope that helps in some way.

15. korunner

korunner Member

My prayers for her and her family. I hope she manages to pull through.

16. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    Thank you for the update. My thoughts and prayers are with Sherri, Mark, the doctors attending to her, and all parties involved. I've seen her riding out here before, and it just breaks my heart. But it sounds like she's in good hands right now, and a lot of people are praying for a miraculous recovery.

17. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I drove by the other night when they were doing the investigation and from what I saw she was going up the hill on Santiago Canyon towards the toll road. Anyone who has ridden that knows that it is one of the most dangerous sections as you are riding slow up the hill and the lanes split for the people getting on the TR (South) and the people going straight. As a cyclist, you have to cross the two lanes for the people getting on to the toll road to continue on Santiago. If you follow the Bike Lane, you end up all the way at the TR entrance where vehicles are speeding up before you try and cut across traffic to get to the lanes for Santiago Canyon. You see this a lot in OC where the Bike Lanes have been drawn in ways that put riders in danger.

18. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    Sheri we don't know you but the Holtman family praying for god bless you and you family

19. JMarquart

JMarquart Member

Attorney
    Home Page:
    Posted on her friends Facebook about an hour ago...doesn't sound good.

Pamela Williams Fuller
    Please stay strong for the Norton Family. We will be saying goodbye to our dear friend Sherri. Our love and prayers are with the Norton Family. I didn't want to be the person to post this, but the strong prayers are needed by you.

Very Sad.

20. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Tragic.