'Cross components: Road or MTB components?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by KonaDawgDeluxe, Oct 1, 2009.

1. KonaDawgDeluxe

KonaDawgDeluxe REKE/DMC

construction estimator/Project MGR
    For a 'cross bike which side do you go to for components, road or MTB? I mean, a seatpost for instance... is the size of the post that you need that'll determine which group to look in? Does road and MTB share some exact sizes on certain components?? How about the saddle and stem? :?: Thanks in advance. :bang:

2. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I run road cranks because I like the narrow Q factor
    My frame is Cross geometry.
    My BB is external (just because I like those).
    Seat is oftentimes a Rocket V from WTB (although I'm testing a Fizik one now).
    Brakes are Cantis (traditional).
    Brake levers are road style (drop bars require it).
    Sometimes folks run the little cheater levers (Cane Creek calls them Crosstop CycloCross Bicycle Brake Levers).
    Stem is determined by whether or not the bars are Oversized or not.
    I like the Easton carbon seatposts.

Dunno about gears because I don't run 'em ;)

Basically, you want both light and durable on all your components...

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    My CX bike came with road drive train(DuraAce). Seat was a Fizik and had a carbon Time seat post. I've seen other CX bikes with reg Shimano drive trains like XT, but the shifters/brake levers are road since the bars(drop) are as well.

4. minhster

minhster DNF'd

the majority of cx bikes are built w/ road components.

5. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    From what I see spec'd out, just about all cross bikes have road shifters, bars, canti brakes (of course), and cranksets. Where I see slight variation is in the rear derailleur and cassette. I've seen CX bikes with 11-34 cassettes and XT derailleurs, which would limit your shifter to strictly be 9sp.

6. D. Diamond

D. Diamond New Member

You want road components for everything except the post and pedals and maybe the saddle. Wheels should be stout road or CX specific.

Post is determined by the inside diameter of the seat tube on your frame.

The reason I prefer a MTB seat post is because you are often jumping onto it, and I like the peace of mind of having a stronger post. My favorite is the Bontrager Race X Lite ACC. The "ACC" model has an aluminum sleeve inside that makes it stronger... I believe you can get the same post without the sleeve but for 'cross I'd get the ACC model. My second choice would be Thomson.

MTB pedals are good because you are going to be running so you'll want MTB shoes and they'll interface better with the MTB pedals, they're easier (for me, anyway) to get into on the fly and they have better mud clearance. I recommend the Crank Bros and the Shimano SPD pedals. I haven't ridden the Time pedals but I've heard they work well too.

As far as the saddle goes, just pick something with stout rails... I wouldn't use a super light, ti railed saddle because there's a very good chance I would bend the rails. Use your own judgement.

Also, when you budget your bike spend as much as you can on wheels. For example, in my opinion you'd get better performance on a "cheap" aluminum frame and nice carbon wheels than you would on a nice carbon frame and aluminum wheels.

My .02