Critical Mass ride

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by 0gravity, Feb 7, 2007.

1. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    So I did my first critical mass ride last Friday (Santa Monica Critical Mass). It was a blast, there must have been nearly 300 riders, taking over the downtown Santa Monica streets like our very own, informal parade, complete with crazy bikes and some riders toting trailers with boom-boxes.

While I had a great time, I’m still a little conflicted about the goals of the whole affair. You see, the traffic was uncharacteristically horrible that night (I think the 405 had been shut down for an accident). Cars and buses were barely moving even before we set out -- and they went absolutely nowhere the whole time we were circling around downtown. While the organizers originally asked for riders not to run red lights, we ran most lights. Plenty of people in the cars were diggin’ the whole thing but I’d say there were just as many haters, fuming that their already miserable commute just got a lot worse because of a bunch of weirdos on bikes.

I know the aim of critical mass rides is to take over the streets and assert our rights and presence as bikers -- and, hopefully, build some support for biking as viable transportation. But if we’re just pissing people off, is a critical mass in bad traffic just counter-productive? I guess that’s my question. Whadayall think?

I’ll still do it again, by the way.

2. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I was driving down Ocean that night and saw all the riders. It looked like it was a lot of fun. I wished I was on my bike.

And yeah, a lot of riders were running red lights.

From what I could see, the drivers didn't really care, but I'm sure there were a few who think bikes shouldn't be sharing the road.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I think it makes a great statement as far as biking to be fun. Just think if 30% of those people had been on bikes, traffic probably would have been flowing. I've never done a critical mass ride myself, but have wanted to and some day I might get around to it, if they ever have one over this way. Driving all the way to LA to ride on the street to promote nonauto travel just seems to hyprocrital to me.

Running red lights...

My take on this, is if it's safe and traffic is slow to non exsistant...why not? If you can accept the ticket you may or may not get, then I think it really doesn't make much of a difference. When I ride my road bike and it is safe I work my way through the red lights.

4. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

check out: Midnightridazz.com

not as much of a radical or statement oriented group, just people who like to ride.

Their 3 year anniversary ride is this Friday.

I'll be there, hope some of you can make it. i know the turnout will be alot more than 300.

5. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Speaking of running red lights... I got pulled over by a cop today on my ride to work this morning. I ran the left turn light at Cherry and Baseline. There was traffic, but none coming toward me that was close enough to matter. I went because I like to get out of the intersections as quick as I can and if it's safe to proceed then I do. So, the cop was behind me and saw the whole thing. He caught me about a 1/2 mi later.

He didn't give me a ticket but he did scold me about riding safely and how I would just be creamed by any driver that hit me. I laughed a little because, here I am riding my bike to work at 7am and it's 50 degrees out. Do I look like some diletante out here? Anyway, I assured him that I understand and that I was actually trying to safely negotiate the intersection etc etc. He asked if I was aware that bikes had to follow the same rules as cars. I said yes, but the cars don't treat me, a bicyclist the same way. He was like, yeah well, you still have to follow the rules. So, I told him I understood and was sorry. He asked where I was going and I told him. Turned out he worked at my school back on my first year there. Funny. So, he let me go.

As to the situation with the Critical Mass, it sounds counter productive to me. I can't see how tons of bicyclists riding all over the place and running lights, etc. would make someone in the car say, "Hey, bikes belong on the road." They just don't get it. Now, if people really want to educate drivers about the rights of cyclists, then we should run some TV and do some publicity campaigns to let people know what's up.

That being said, for the rest of my ride in to work, I made sure to take as much of the lane as I needed when going through intersections when I had to stop at all those red lights. As long as I have to follow all the rules of the road, I'm going to follow all of them.

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    You Rebel!

7. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

Gurp, go to the midnightridazz, you'll have fun

8. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    But, I hate fun!

The problem with MIdnight Ridazz is the time. It's simply not doable for me. Too far to drive, etc. and I have a standing commitment Friday nights.

9. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    Critical Mass

This looks like fun! Anyone partake in these? I'td be cool to get the STR t-shirt and jersey gang to show up. Looks like all types of bikes are welcome and afterward activities are plentiful!:drunk:

Critical Mass Bicycle Rides Directory | Bike on!

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

And we could make it an STR social ride!

I need to get a cup holder on my bike.

11. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    lol I just posted a critical mass thread and just saw this. Sorry!!!

Try the 6pm variety...
    Critical Mass Bicycle Rides Directory | Bike on!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2007
  12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Is this a fixie event?

13. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:

They make them I heard they call them bottle cages...Jeez, whadda they think of next? ;)

14. Burner

Burner WAWE

midnight ridazz is mo betta ... if you're gonna take over the streets at least do it later at night and call it what it is, fun.:drunk:

I did a (short part of a) critical mass once, it was entertaining for a few minutes to charge around the streets in a mass, that was enough. I felt like a tool for causing more traffic probs in an already bad area (santa monica), definitely counter productive for its stated purpose IMO. the group didn't obey a single traffic law as far as I could tell, which I don't necessarily have a problem with ;) as long as it doesn't affect others.

15. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I've heard that midnight ridazz is a blast. One of the guys at Sand Canyon Cyclery is hooked on them, and now hooked on fixies.

Is that their website? I'll have to try one, possibly AVQ (after vision quest). :)