Crashing Spell

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Aviatrix, Jan 23, 2013.

1. skflow

skflow Member

Engineer
    I can still remember the event unfolding right in front of me in slo-mo.
    Thanks for testing out the wrong line:)

2. melster

melster Member

Software
    You're welcome! :lol:

3. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

I've been falling a lot the last couple of rides cause I can't get unclipped. Idk if that counts, but I did have a weird crash going down hawk last weekend.

4. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I call those "Tip-overs"; unless of course you were actually moving. Ironically my worst injury stems from a tip-over; not an actual crash.

I think I (and maybe some of you in this thread) need to start practicing how to bail. I tend to hang on to the bike at all cost, even in retrospect when abandoning ship would be safer. My friends 5-yr old has this miraculous talent of bailing when she's gonna crash. She runs it out unscathed and the bike goes flipping down the trail. It's quite amazing to watch. That one is gonna be a MTB force to be reckoned with when she grows up.

Reminds me of that video of the newb at Whiting flying down the hill with his feet waist-high and flying over the fence. Remember that thread?

5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Quite possible, thats what I do now, in the past it was hard for me to NOT extend my hands out and was always hurting my wrists or shoulders. now it seems I instinctively keep my hands on the grips (or at least somewhere away from initial impact) and roll it out over my shoulder/back/butt or whatever hits first. Which is 93% of the time a very good instinct to avoid imjury. But unfortunately, sometimes your head is in line to hit first. Most of the time your helmet will protect just fine. But depending on the speed of impact, is it better to risk injuring your wrists or brain/spine? Hard thing to instinctually decide mid-yard sale. i crashed today head-first into the trunk of a bush, slow-speed endo on a very steep loose rarely-ridden trail not to be named here, instinctually kept my hands out of the way and took it with my head, not a bad impact didnt hurt my head but my necks a little sore and helmet is done... Almost wish I put my hands out instead. if you wear elbow pads you can try to take the hit with your elbows to protect your hands but that wont protect your shoulders or clavicle.

6. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

How were you riding before you started crashing? Slower? More about the fitness and miles? Recovering from earlier "traumatic" experiences?

Are you trying to add challenge to your rides now? Riding with a bit more gusto/swagger/gangnam style?

Off-topic: So when my pops cracks me one upside the head, he's knocking out 3rd instance of the "three's rule", assuming he only chews me out after the first time? JK JK! ;)

7. obie

obie New Member

poolman
    Change up your training rides? Do some intervals on the flats that don't require sharp focus and just crush it for a couple of hours?

BTW: after I saw you & your posse I washed out bad down Stagecoach and also somehow went over on a climb up Emerald. Left a fair bit of skin off my leg/knee on Stagecoach. I rode the Back Bay today. Need a break from beating myself up down Laguna way.

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    I believe it does! Remember, you only crash when physics and gravity disagree!

9. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

10. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    How about an anti-crashing spell?

11. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    I'd really like to help you but I'm fresh out of balloon knot of newt. And that is the most important ingredient in the spell, sorry. #-o

12. ridinrox

ridinrox Well-Known Member

Realtor/Full Realty
    I have to admit that was a pretty lame crash! :lol: Were you looking at the loose dirt or my butt? Eitheat way, look where you want to go not where you don't!

However, I've had one crashing spell; it only made me a better rider!!

13. Aviatrix

Aviatrix Active Member

I'll never tell ;) You do have a nice arse tho!

14. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Following a good ass will make you lose focus......

15. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    It was the Booty's fault! Well that's what I always say.

16. smichaels

smichaels New Member

Build Supervisor
    I myself have had a bit of a crashing spell, as I lay here and try to recover with the help of some major pain meds. Yesterday having a crash that has been my worst yet, but a weird crash and at somewhat low speed. As i was climbing up the backside to get to the start of oakley, about a 1/3 of the way up, you cross a concrete rain run off groove in which i have crossed many times. As i come up to the concrete run off groove, i some how catch my front tire and OTB, face plant into the ditch. It happened so fast, no instinct for any hands to go outto break the fall,just a full force face plant. As i sit up, I know that this fall was much different from my other falls. I yell for my buddy, and he hurries down to me. At first, felt ok, I checked for teeth that seems to be all there, only a small cut on finger and rash on one knee. I first tell my buddy to ride and i would be ok, but then i realized something was wrong. I take my helmet off, and it is completely busted and cracked in half, then i my mouth begins to fill with blood. As i go to wipe my face, chin is completly numb and lots of blood on my shirt. I attempt tocall mywife, which fails the first few times, then as i start to get sleepy, i realize that this is more then a scrape. 911 call, ambalance ride to mission, and i recieve 30 plus stitches, small fracture on jaw, bruises and scrapes, and one busted up face. I hit my chin so hard that it tore away from the inside of my mouth and they had to repair. I guess i am going to need the fullface on every ride......if the wife ever lets me out again.

17. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Good Lord! That sounds a bit gruesome and very unlucky. Healing rays/vibes and mojo your way!

18. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Dayum smichales - no bueno! Heal up fast!

Ironic a bit that I just found this thread and the one about air pressures...

Tonight I lost control 3 times and landed on my side while coming down what really are mild to moderate downhill sections. Felt like I simply couldn't control the bike, not matter what I did. Second time down I got bruises and scrapes from my ribs to my ankle on one side.

Turns out the likely cause was my front tire had too little air, and was rolling and couldn't hold traction under braking or turning.

Superficial, but painful, way to remind myself that a superficial pre-ride bike check can end up painful.

19. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    @ smichaels...Holy Moly! I thought crashing 3x in Palm Canyon and falling off a ladder and landing on my head with a trip to the ER in the same week was bad...... but you my friend have made my little spill seem minor. I hope you heal fast and get another chance for a redo. Just be thankful that you had your buddy nearby to help you out. The wife is going to appreciate the recovery time at home with you I know mine always does.

20. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Follow somebody better than you for awhile. I hope you got a new helmet if the other was cracked. Stay focused. Breathe. Relax on the tech sections and begin to slow as you enter them. Learn how to dismount when a crash seems inevitable. Jeanine used to jump off the back of her bike and let it continue forward. I would throw my bike down and dismount over the side. Often running to stop, sometimes falling but always feeling a bit more in control. There will always be crashes where you go ass over tea kettle and can't do a damn thing but you can make them less common with braking in advance and picking a line.
    As for always hitting your head, ease up for awhile. Doing a tech section slowly and not dabbing is as fun as barrel assing through one. Remember, for the most part, your bike wants to stay up and will take the fall line down, where the water goes, let it and stay calm.

Heal up well smichaels. that sounds like a real freak accident!