cracked ribs

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Hanzo, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Hey, I see on this very page that Jenson is blowing out 661 Pressure Suits. Strap it on and get back out there, you wuss!!! :p Hope you heal up fast, Noel. Take 'er easy and don't rush things.

2. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    It took me a few months to get over it. I could not sleep well for over a month, and laughing was particularly rough.

3. EMrider

EMrider New Member

Wow, there is nothing subtle about that X-ray. Broken for sure. Having broken a few myself, it is amazing that you were able to do so much afterwards. As others have said, the pain typically keeps you inactive for a few weeks at least. Heal up fast.
    Rob

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Could it be that it just took a while for the fracture to separate like that and cause him more unbearable pain? At least that's the excuse i was given when the St. Jude ER sent me home with an untreated broken femur three years ago cuz the X-ray was "negative." :mad:

5. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Noel, I had no idea you were injured. You couldn't tell from your riding. Sorry to hear it. Heal fast.

C

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Yeah,you still rode great during the ride. I'm suprized myself. I've managed to break a couple ribs while mtb'ing. One on one side and the other on the other side. Kind of weird that I broke one when I landed on my shoulder, but the impact broke my rib. The main thing to be worried about is if you tore any cartlidge. My first one was a lot worse then my second, but that was because of the tear. I must be a wuss, because mine took over a year to quit hurting and I still have a knot where it healed. They did wrap my first one because the doctor was worried I might puncture my lung with the way it was broke. I had to stay wrapped a certain way that was very painful to do, but beat the alternative of a punctured lung. I was able to stop wearing the wrap after 3 weeks, but I couldn't laugh,sneeze,cough, or even yell without pain for 2 months. The second without the tear and I was back on the bike in two weeks.

Sorry to hear, heal quick my bro.

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I'm so sorry you got hurt Hanzo! :(
    Take time to heal. It's going to hurt like hell anyway so just rest. If you must ride then I suggest an easy spin session on your own at the gym, no jarring.Or a wind trainer at home if you have one. Give it a week or longer. Let pain be your loving guide! :rolleyes: Hope to see you soon.

8. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Noel, I don't think there's any shame in being hurt from BREAKING A RIB! :eek:

Take it easy, pass the time detailing your Reign so it's ready to rock when you're healed.

9. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Noel, you're right I don't think any of us knew you crashed. You certainly didn't look injured as you flew down that bottom section. Hope you heal quickly!
    Lynn

10. grandpa

grandpa swollen member

shop foreman, sheetmetal
    Wow! I guess you really were hurting after that fall. I thought you were just being a whiner.JK Hope you heal quick dude!

11. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    i've cracked mine twice, and it takes 5-6 weeks for me. riding seems to take my mind off the pain oddly enough - it's the only time i can't feel it at all! hope you feel better! ibprofen and a good glass of red work ... uh ... sorta work sometimes ... assuming you have a strong liver.

12. Wicked Smot

Wicked Smot New Member

That x-ray is a masterpiece! Rib fractures are usually really hard to pick up on films unless you get the perfect shot (I work in the field). The best advice for you right now it to be careful because the fracture looks slightly offset. Sharp bones near soft lungs = bad news if you were to re-injure the area. As for healing time, it will be sore long after the bone heals but should be feeling good enough and be safe enough to ride after 4-6 weeks. You'll probably get the occasional episodes of transient spasms around the area for another 6 weeks beyond that but should be good to go considering it sounds like you completed the ride after the crash. Nice one.

13. coldbrews

coldbrews Former Fat Guy

Electrician
    Hey Hanzo, long time no see, get well soon brudda and drink more milk.

14. Burner

Burner WAWE

dood Noel, that sucks...

Ribs are my least fav injury, hurts to do everything... I cracked 2 a few years ago, took a loooong time until it felt totally normal (many months) but I was able to ride within a few weeks. Sneezing, coughing, laughing, and just getting out of bed can be excruciating, and those pains linger a long time.

Heal up bro!

15. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    There's hope for your ribs

I cracked a rib 9/27/2005.

Two days later we had the big Topanga fire.

On 10/13/2005 Cheeseboro re-opened and I took pictures - riding! (First two pictures)

On 10/15/2005 I did the easy ride at Corba FFT but still complained about sneezing, etc (in email). On 11/1/2005 I was going all out on the SS (climbing Calabasas Motorway using whole body). Two days later I rode Bulldog SS. If I was hurting I wasn't making excuses.

Attached Files:

16. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Oh man... I hurt so bad! Yeah, that's it. I.......ummm yeah, I uhhhh.... hurt my ribs. Yeah, that's it! I hurt 'em REALLY bad. I am in pain. Could ya direct me to your *AHEM* connection? I uhhhhh, ummmmm need it for the "pain." Yeah, that's it.

17. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I haven't had broken ribs, but I did have my lungs separate from the lining after a hard dive.
    Sucked to move/breath/talk and I hate Vicodin which didn't help.
    It took a month to feel somewhat better and a good few months before I felt like I hadn't done something permanent.
    Take it slow and heal quick!

18. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I crashed about 3 weeks ago and took a handle bar to the rib after going a little too fast down some switchbacks and not looking far enough ahead. Never went to the Doc about it but the area of injury was pretty bruised. Even now it still hurts- being that I only ride 2 days a week because of work I healed up pretty fast although sneezing and coughing still hurts enough to make me mentally cry.

The first 2 weeks I was only sleeping 3-4 hours (and waking up every 15 mins in between) a day because the pain kept me up. A friend tells me I might have damaged the "cushioning" around my left lung. Also with the first two weeks I couldnt lift my left arms higher than my chest without terrible pain. #-o

I'll almost always have an injury during every ride. So often that it almost seems intentional. Looks like I crash more than I ride :lol:

heal up! remember not to take deep breaths and dont reach for things. haha:bang:

19. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Hey Noel was that after Chino Hills ride with Ann? Man what a bummer...Heal up soon.

20. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Noel, sorry to hear about the ribs.

I crashed coming down Blackstar at the newb ride back in August and injured my ribs. I couldn't sleep comfortably for about 2 weeks. About a month later I crashed and landed on my ribs in the same way. Here we are about 3 months after the original crash at Blackstar and I can still feel some tightness in my ribs. It doesn't really hurt or slow me down, but I can still feel it.

Now you know the fun you've got to look forward to.

Heal up my friend. Lots of ice and Advil.