Cooks>Whiting>STT>Luge>Cooks>grubb

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by i am dino, Feb 13, 2006.

1. i am dino

i am dino Guest

This morning FXRizzob and I thought we'dd do an oldie but a goodie loop. We decided on starting at Cooks Corner and head up Santiago Canyon into the backside of Whiting and out of Whiting then head back into Whiting (main entrance) and then back out of Whiting up to the STT to the Luge then back to Cooks for some grubb. So as we are cruising through the "Sleep Hollow" portion of Whiting I look up to our left and notice 3 mule deer about 29.6 yards off of the trail. We stopped and then took a closer look and saw a total of 7 of them! Rob snapped a couple of pix of them and should be posting them a little later. Everything at Whiting was pretty much the same, only about 342 hikers on the lower part and a heard of "women" hike-a-biking up Mustard. We reached four corners and rested for a few, it was getting warm out. Then we headed out the back and up to the Modjeska Grade, I was hoping to see a deer carcas, but had no such luck, daaangit! Once on the STT we headed up to the Luge and again I was disappointed that we only saw one of the "bee-keepers" as we climbed, usually there are two of them and today the "grand wizard bee keeper" was M.I.A., daaaangit! So, we head up to the Luge, snap a couple photos at the flag pole (rob will post soon) and then we began our descent, but then we stopped to contemplate doing that gap jump at the beginning of the Luge and decided that next time we go there, we will both hit it. We then made our way down and passed a couple chix who were off to the side of the trail and then passed a couple of dudes who were off to the side of the trail and then passed one more dude off to the side of the trail. The Luge was in great shape and not all that dusty, Rob and I flew down it and railed every turn and glided across every little drop we encountered. I think Rob ended up pinch flatting on the Luge but was able to make it back to my truck with enough air. Today was a good ride and it felt like summer out there. We then grubbed down at Cooks and took in all the scenery, lots of scenery!

Oh, today was my first ride with my new brakes. I just bought some Avid Juicy 5's and they were awesome. Rob let out a little fluid on my rear brake and it came to life, it was pretty tight and the lever had almost no play. These things are MILES ahead of my piece of crap Hayes HFX-9's, I'm hoping my riding will step up to the next level with these things. I had no idea of what I was missing out on with these new brakes that actually modulate and stop when I want them too.

awesome ride rob!

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Awesome ride report, awesome! I'm going riding soon so I'll have to get the pics uploaded when I get back later. That is a fun loop and I like finishing with the Luge. I sure hope DT Swiss comes out with the tubeless kit soon for my 5.1's because I hate running tubes [-( You forgot to mention the cool jump built up on the fireroad on Whiting. We didn't know it was there so Bret went by it and I just hit it at a a slow speed, but next time it will be air/picture time! George we have some special pictures just for you.....stay tuned!

3. TURNERob

bum
    Here are a few pics:

Check out Bret's odometer on the way there!
    [​IMG]

Here are 4 shots of the deer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The view from the Luge flagpole:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TURNERob

bum
    2 more of us, these are for you George! Bret first:
    [​IMG]

And me:
    [​IMG]

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    :lol: Nice one, guys!

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I'm worried

I'm a little worried about you guys! First Dino kissing his Huckler so close to Valentines Day, then Rob with a Valentines gift bag in the back ground. Please tell me there wasn't any "stanchion" lube in there. :confused:

Attached Files:

7. TURNERob

bum
    Haha, pretty funny Craig :p That was this very nice old lady hikers bag.....I did notice that and was waiting for some comment from somebody about it :lol:

Don't get carried away with that DHX canister and your synthetic oil alright Craig [-X

8. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    Looks like DINO is really going at it with his bike:-k

By the way, we passed both bee dudes climbing Harding on Saturday. They chill.

9. TURNERob

bum
    Awesome! We only saw bee keeper jr., bee keeper senior was MIA.

10. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Actually, a snake had bit my top tube and I was sucking the poison out! Rob asked the hiker lady if he could have that bag in the background of his shot, she glady said "yes".

11. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Does Rob have his mouth open? Hm, he seems to enjoy that long tube. Craig might be on to something . . .

:lol:, jk

12. TURNERob

bum
    Yes ok I'll admit, I would have sex with my Turner anyday! Just don't tell my wife :-$

13. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I looked for the original pic of George slipping his YETI the tongue, but can't seem to find it, it mysteriously disappeared!!!