Considering a new cassette, need some advice

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Rawhead, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

I currently have a road bike I bought about a year and a half ago. I have been riding allot more then I intended and never gave a second thought to any of it's setup. It has the same cassette on it since I bought it used and I've noticed I could use a little more top end gear. The cassette is a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed, 12-23 matched to a compact double up front.

Looking around, I've seen an 11-23 that I think might work well. The SRAM cassettes' are not only a little cheaper, but they are kinda sexy as well.
    My question to you is this:

Are the SRAM cassettes compatible with the rest of my Shimano drivetrain? I know it is on my MTB, but not sure with the road stuff.

Also, does anyone have any experience regarding the durability of the SRAM 970 vs. the Shimano Ultegra cassettes?

Thanks a ton.

2. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Sorry can't help you with any of your specific questions. Well I take that back. I got close to 5K out of my Ultegra cassette. I might have gotten more if I didn't need more gears.

Unless you pretty much only ride flat roads I recommend getting at least a 12-25. I'm using a 12-27 with my compact double, but I ride a lot of mountain roads.

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    It is compatible. You'll need a Shimano chain. I bought a Sram Red cassette and rode with it on an Ultegra Sl drivetrain. The cassette is so beautiful its sick. Ended up replacing the Ultegra with the full Sram Red gruppo. Masterpiece!

Can't talk to durability.

4. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Jealous