Collarbone redux

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by ODB, Jun 7, 2009.

1. BrahMa

BrahMa New Member

Huge bummer man.

I just went through the same thing myself at the end of last year. I broke my collar bone (for the fourth time) clean through in September. No fun.

Three months later, I fractured it. Needless to say, I have completely adjusted my riding style. I guess not really even by my choice, unfortunately. I think I've just lost a lot of my confidence. Sections that I would laugh at before, are causing me to get off and walk. Very humbling, not in a good way.

I dunno, I must say, since I started kitesurfing, my riding has taken a back seat, but I still do like (and feel that I need) to get out and ride. Just not bombing the dark side of Laguna so much any more.
    :?:

2. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Please change your handle to PussMa and get a sex change operation. I'm regretting suggesting your Godly handle as you obviously don't live up to it anymore!
    Has anyone seen my studly butty Peter who use to ride so fluidly and effortlessly and made the toughest of sections seem like a walk in the park? I miss that focker! I don't miss the dike boarding guy. ;)

3. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Yep, similar situation for me. Wasn't riding anything challenging at all; just a brief lapse of attention was my downfall. I had actually set out that day to do Whiting to Old Camp cuz I wanted a mellow, non-threatening ride, and I ended up getting bitch-slapped anyway. That's the most frustrating thing about these injuries: the complete randomness.

Haven't gotten the x-ray pic off my camera yet, but the doc took out the old plate and replaced it with a longer one and, by my count, eight screws. So, you've got me beat by a good margin. :) I've got the old plate and screws sitting here on my desk. Figured I should at least get a souvenir outta this whole ordeal.

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Update

Surgeon's eval yesterday, 3.5 months after surgery: "You can resume all normal activities, including mountain biking." Excited, though a bit nervous.

5. mikuteit

mikuteit Member

Did you get the full length Ti plate? Let's see some x-rays!

It's now 3.5 months since my surgery, but I've been back on the bike for about 1.5 months now. Started on the road for a couple weeks, but I'm back on the rocky gnar now - still hesitant to hit stuff super hard or take to super tech lines, though.8-[

6. dragonsback

dragonsback Banned

Many things in order to support riding