Collarbone redux

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by ODB, Jun 7, 2009.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I know exactly how you feel. After many "accidents" I've had to change the way I ride as I've gotten older but it still is a sport that is hard on the body as pointed out by several others. There is merit in slowing down, but easier said than done. I have no sucinct advise to give here... just take your time and nothing lasts forever... you can always change your mind.

However, I do admire the fact that you are considering others and their feelings... a daughter's love does last forever.

As others in the tribe have said, healing vibs go out to you.

2. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Im lucky I have boys. They think its cool to break stuff. Mostly their toys ( i think there all broken) after a day or so. Best luck in the healing. Do what you think is best. After many broken ankles I had to give up skating. I miss it, but my wallet and ankles dont.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Bummer Toby. Seems I'm always hearing about you getting hurt. I think we all go through this evaluation when we get seriously hurt. I know what an accomplished rider you are and how much you love the sport but it's a decision only you can make. I also hope you'll be back. As some pointed out there is some ways to ride "easy" and still enjoying the ride.

Heal quick my friend and tell your daughter it only hurts when you laugh.

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Thanks for the encouraging and thoughtful posts and PMs, everyone. I really appreciate it.

Saw the ortho today and am all set for surgery next Tuesday. The doc is either gonna remove the old plate and put in all new hardware, or just take out one or two screws nearest the fracture and stack another plate on top of the old one to bridge the break. Won't know the exact plan of attack until he gets in there to take a look, but it should be a pretty simple procedure either way. Four weeks in a sling and then i can start PT, if all goes according to plan. The bone should be as strong as ever once healing is complete, the doc says.

In the meantime, i'm taking to heart the advice many of you have offered: not even thinking at this point about whether i'm gonna be riding again; just focusing on getting healthy again. No need to get ahead of myself.

Be safe out there.

5. RazoR

RazoR New Member

new sport = golf or riding fully loop? Get well soon Toby, at least you know you won most of the battles against risk...:bang:

6. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Best of luck on Tuesday.

Wishing you hot nurses and happy medication ;)

7. Good_ol'_slappy

Good_ol'_slappy aka SB

+1...I really can't add more on top of what Craig said. All great advice. :)

8. paulbschmidt

paulbschmidt KNEEL BEFORE ZOD

Vice President of Loaded Precision Products, speci
    Home Page:
    Healing vibes man....it may be like it was posted above...you may just have to alter your riding. Loving the sport and loving the dirt doesn't mean you have to be riding balls to the wall.

I had my first injury a couple months ago that required surgery and pins. The wife and daughter were all over me to stop. I just realized that I just need to accept a style of riding that takes out the risk. Ride the fireroads, get the exercise, but keep yourself out of the risk. I'm not Gee Atherton. I don't plan on competing, so easy rides for me give me my fix and keep my daughter from freakin out.

Fell better bro. And if you want someone to take easy rides with you when you return, look me up. I'm perfectly OK with that myself. lol.

PBS

9. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Heal up fast and watch of for those male nurses with the injections.:lol:

Hopefully you wont give up the sport you love cuz you aint got nothing else except drinking IPAs and that will make you fat.

Seriously, hope to see back sooner then later and maybe for some beers post ride?

10. boludo

boludo Member

Money Manager/Finance
    Is it possible to ask for a titanium or carbon plate for the bone? How tits would a Dean collarbone plate be?

I hope you heal quick and proper.

11. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Soul searching summer... hmm, I'm having one of those myself.

[​IMG]

Hope your surgery & recovery go well.

12. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Heal up fast :), maybe take it easy on the riding instead of going all-out?

13. tsinillas

tsinillas New Member

Shock, Shock, Shock, Epi, Shock, Lido, Shock
    I can truly sympathize with you. I grew up training and competing in Judo and about 4 years ago I began doing MMA. 1 year in to MMA I significantly broke my hand which required 2 pins, bone and vascular graft. I was in a cast for 16+ weeks!

I had to apply and rely on state disability checks because I was unable to work. My saving were completely depleted and nearly lost the house. I felt completely helpless and guilty that my family was in such a dire situation. It did not take much for me to realize what my priorities in life were. To some dismay I completely stopped full contact sports and as much as possible avoid crashes on the bike.

Heal up!

14. freeriderock

freeriderock New Member

Wow- I've been hearing about broken collarbone crashes since I started trolling STR. Well, I saw it happen on Saturday. My riding buddy and I were coming down Bulldog in Malibu Creek- some high speed fireroad. He tried to jump a log- back tire didn't quite make it. High speed ENDO. After the shock wore off, he rode most of the 7 miles back to the truck (the week before we spent hours making fun of a weekend warrior who had Rangers respond for a twisted ankle).

He goes to the Orth. Surgeon today for a consult. He's really bummed. Anyone have tips for staying in shape whilst one's collarbone heals? Anyone know how long it will be before he's on the saddle again?

15. jahsun145

jahsun145 Phat Ninja

yo toby...this is jason, one of the "super-nice" riders that helped you back to ur car that day. all i can say is that ur a trooper man. walked nearly a mile down the trail, waited another 45 minutes or so for us to pick you up, and you drove yourself to the er, all with a broken collarbone. hope all goes well with the surgery and pt.

16. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Hey, Jason! Can't thank you and your crew enough for helping me out (and talking me out of trying to walk all the way back to Whiting, despite my insistence). I owe you guys big-time. And thanks for the well-wishes on my recovery. I'm at work now just counting down the hours till i go in for surgery this afternoon. It can't come soon enough, as the shoulder has been feeling progressively worse since the crash.

Hope you guys are able to make it to the Luge next time. Sorry for f-cking up your day. :)

17. RazoR

RazoR New Member

good luck and godspeed Toby....this thread is creeping me out, maybe I should buy a beach cruiser.....naw, seeya at the bottom of G 7-16-09.....

18. mikuteit

mikuteit Member

Dang, turns out I broke my collarbone the same day you did (and a rib and my shoulder blade). I got surgery with a whopper of a Ti plate and 12 screws. Funny thing is I can't stop from wondering what will happen if I crash on it again...will the plate add strength or will the screw holes weaken it? Since your plate is about half the width, I'm still not sure what'll happen. But I'll die before I stop riding.

[​IMG]

19. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Cripes! What the f-ck ran over you? Way to hit the trifecta. ;)

Hope your recovery goes well.

20. mikuteit

mikuteit Member

Funny thing is, after all the gnar I've ridden in 20 years, this was a result of me hitting some easy small jumps while on a ride with my 5-year old son.

And while your daughter cried for you, my son rolled up to me laying in the dirt and said, "C'mon dad, let's go, this is boring."

How did they end up fixin' ya? Do you have a post-op xray?