Ride Report Cold Springs SB

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by rojomas, Mar 14, 2010.

1. UniGeezer

UniGeezer Adventure Cyclist

Piano technician
    I've only hiked up Cold Springs from the bottom, and continued on maybe a mile past the power poles where the fire road intersects with the trail. (the steep climb up to the left) Never have gone all the way to the top. My question is, is there additional technical stuff higher up, or is most of it in the lower part that I had already climbed?

2. JackG

JackG New Member

Cold Springs is chunky almost from the top, unlike San Ysidro which is smooth and flowy until the bottom 1/3 where it is typical SB chunk along the creek.

3. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    So would you say the best stuff is near the top, or is it pretty much like the lower sections? And where exactly is parking at the top? Do you just park & start riding down from there? Is there a trail head marker at the top? Also, do you know about how far it is from the top to the power towers? Thanks!!

4. JackG

JackG New Member

The chunk above the power towers is wide open without the exposure factor of the lower area down by the creek, and without the super tight switchbacks of the lower area if you go to the left. There is a part of it that seems like baby heads for a mile. It has been a bit since I've gone down that trail, but I think it is 2/3rds above the towers and 1/3 below. Yes the trail head is marked.

5. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    I just thought that since I've ridden the lower part many times, that I would just drive to the top, park, and then just ride it down to the power tower, then hike back up. Sounds like the upper area above the towers has a lot of awesome sections. I just need to know the directions for driving to the drop-in area at the top.

6. UniGeezer

Piano technician
    Wow! The top half of Cold Spring trail more than lived up to expectations! Awesome chunkiness almost all the way down! Video called "From the Top" posted in the PUB.