CO2 Cartridges, pumps, on-the-trail flat fix

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Special K, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Special K

Special K Drink Beer, Ride Bikes...

I really miss Genuine Innovations' Big Air can. Apparently they don't make the Big Air anymore. It was filled with propane rather than CO2 and they seemed to last a while even after they were opened - not to mention, they were lightweight.

I run tubeless (29) and have been looking for a good replacement product for my beloved Big Air. I bought the largest co2 cartridge I could find, but it seemed pricey and emptied too quickly. Is it time to go back to the trusty pump? CO2 would be nice to quickly try to reseat the tire...:-k

Do you have a product you like to use?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I Went back to carrying a mini pump.

3. strobe

strobe resident noob

I thought there was an issue with CO2 and tubeless? Stan's in particular. I heard it will thicken it or something and was only to be used as a last resort. Like to finish a race and get it aired up properly soon. I still use tubes, so, i'm likely mistaken and haven't tested this out.

I carry two 16gram CO2's and a pump. I've only used either of these twice in the past 2years. *knock on wood*

4. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I carry a 25 gram CO2 and a small pump on long rides. For short ones I rely on the CO2. I think it gets about 20 to 25 psi in a 2.2 size 29er tire. Its less pressure than I run normally, but it is more than enough to get me back to the truck.

5. socal_eric

socal_eric New Member

Computer stuff
    I'm not sure if it affects tubeless the same, but I recall hearing that due to smaller molecule size it tends to leak through some tube material over time and would think that could also affect tubeless sealing as well.

I'm also another person running tubes and stick with a good high-volume pump for mountain bike tires. I can blow up the tube by mouth and finish it off with the pump pretty quick where carrying CO2 cartridges for normal riding would just be extra weight and I wouldn't use them anyways. I do have an inflator setup that I picked up for racing when every second counts but most of stuff I've done has been endurance events and I usually decide to leave them at home.