chumba xcl vs. titus motolite

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by UR2KLOS, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    Dude, I am not even in the market for a bike and I want that Chumba. Off to their website...

2. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    Take it easy Jason! haha your agressive man, I'm sure other bikes are good.

Just make this guy demo a bike and let it speak for itself. Iv been doing 3-4 foot drops onto flat with my bike and she seems okay. Maybe we can up it to 6 ft to flat on concrete?:bang:

3. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Like the Nomad? But a 5" version? :)

4. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I repied to a quote .

When someone says to you that your product is a jack of all trades and master of none. Then I say back that statement. From that point I was was only clouding the conversation with facts. The statement did not come from the guy who is in the market to pick up a bike. BTW you spelled Aggressive and ok wrong. [-X OHHHH :lol: HA HA And its not in the middle of the night either. I am one to talk I misspell things all the time and my grammar is horrible.
    . I can't type with one hand so well so I leave out letters also. :bang:

5. sandblast

sandblast One less 29er

Buisness phone systems
    That qualify's as harsh.

6. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

In a way the statement is true ha ha . You are right it is the jack of all trades.
    I happen to think Jack is cool. I see what you mean though. If it only weighed 22lbs it would be he master xc racer. The 26 lb build is about the norm for the light XCL XC race bike. The bike can get even lighter than that by changing the hardware. We are working on a TI upgrade kit so keep your eyes open.

7. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    That's it noodle arm! your gonna get it! [-X

I like my Chumba so far, but only time will tell. I have a lot of confidence in the bike though. :beer:

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

There are plenty of light and capable bikes in this arena. A bike can have the greatest rear suspension design, best customer service, blah, blah, blah but if it doesn't feel right because of top tube length, seat tube angle, etc. it's shit to the shopper.

Nice to see some passion among the brand's faithfull though :)

Ride every bike you're looking at then decide.

ps - A Turner 5 Spot should be on your list.

C

9. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

That is what I ment to say !

Well said.

10. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    ps - A Turner 5 Spot should be on your list.

C[/quote]
    Finally, somebody had to say it!

11. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Guero doesn't know shit - he sat on his seat post w/o seat one too many times, and is beginning to like it.

I have a motolite and like it a lot. I was looking at the XCL but at the time it was only 4" travel. They must have changed it since then. They are nearly identical geometries and are going to ride quite similarly. Both bikes can be built up as light as 27lbs with a decent build. Mine is 31 and I think is fairly burly. They are do all bikes, and you can't go wrong either way.

Customer service on the Titus front isn't as bad as was mentioned, but I will give chumba the nod in this area... they can't be worse than Titus. You know what, go with the Chumba, represent socal, and it's cool they frequent STR. Oh, the paint sucks on the Motolites.

But I like it a lot.

F the turner, all hype and they are very gay.... They don't even have a horst link.

2 points for mcgrath starting a turner war... I'm awesome.

Oh, and if you want to fall a lot, get the Turner... Just look at Calepics avatar.... wouldn't have happened had he been riding any other bike.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  12. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I told them Bret could get you to come out. Welcome, Patrick

13. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Bottom line.... You need to ride some bikes:bang::bang::bang:

14. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Your girlfriend doesn't think so. Believe me... :wave:

JK bro, get off your ass and ride that dust covered thing hiding in your garage.

C

15. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Before purchasing my current bike (won't mention the brand):D the Motolite and Chumba XCL were atop my list of possible choices. My impressions:

Motolite- Very quick. Very light. Razor sharp handling. Feels like an XC bike. What ruined the deal for me 1) The nearly 71 degree head angle made the bike feel too quick! Just didn't feel stable enough for me at speed 2) The geometry did not fit ME well 3) Titus had paint/primer issues during the early part of '06 3) the company founder Chris Cocalis "left" the company. :( He WAS Titus bikes!

Chumba XCL- Alan (at Chumba) was kind enough :bang: to allow me demo one of the early prototypes of the XCL. Great bike! The "improvements" they have made to the frame since then make it a VERY CAPABLE BIKE! :clap: What I like about it: the frame is SOLID, 69 degree head angle, the geometry is spot-on, the bike can be built as a semi-lightweight XC bike or as a BURLY All Mountain bike- the choice is yours!

If (I) had to choose between the Motolite and the XCL, I would choose the XCL!

It doesn't matter what I think. You should purchase a bike that best suits YOUR needs! The easiest way to do that is to test them both!

Good luck! :beer:

16. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Dino are you doing the Utah thing this weekend??

17. Dino Brown

Don't depress me! :(

18. mcgrath

mcgrath *.*

irrigation designer
    Dino, completely respect your post. Perhaps you measured it I don't know, but the published HA on the motolite in 5" travel setting is 69.25 degrees..... 70.25 in 4" setting.

True, paint/primer is no good. Mine seems fine, but I've seen many over on mtbr where paint looks like it has peeled off. This is said to have been fixed since the 06 frames.

Craigger, I know you're joking, as am I... We all know Turners are fantastic bikes. And, everyone, you'll be happy to know, I'm heading up to Idyllwild this weekend.

19. Dino Brown

You are absolutely correct!!! #-o No longer remember the angles on the '06 bikes!

Truth is, I tested the bike in BOTH 4" and 5" settings! What I took away from my test was: the 5" setting felt like a 4" bike from "X" brand. Two friends came away with the same impression. Could have been the tires... the long stem.... seat location on the rails. I am pretty good about being unbiased though.

I will tell you one thing: To this day, I still wonder :-k "how sweet" a Motolite would handle with a 6" adjustable travel fork!

20. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    so now you want to compare a 5" travel XCL bike to a 4" SC Superlight XC racer bike? let's compare apples to apples man[-X

and now you want me to find you a light XC frame that I [or most people] would feel comfortable doing anything on? well I could come up with a pretty good list, but listing and hyping them might be misconstrued by some as SPAMMISH;).

If this is true wow... your previous responses kinda remind of Miss Teen South Carolina's answer during the pageant. :drunk:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry for the threadjack OP... test ride as many bikes as you can within your budget and go from there.
    Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.