chumba xcl vs. titus motolite

Discussion in 'The Market Place' started by UR2KLOS, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I have your basic starter bike (Trek Fuel 70) and want something that climbs well but can take stuff like rock-it in Aliso Woods. I don't do anything extreme but want a bike that will get me out of trouble when I do something stupid. I like the idea behind the TALAS fork and the RP23 shock although I haven't used either one.

I have never ridden any bike except the one I own. On paper the titus seems great except there is only 1 store that carries it (Revo cycles) and it concerns me that no mtb riders that I know use them. There are very few Titus bikes around here which also concerns me. It is just because of the cost? (The plain Motolite is $2500 for a complete bike although the Motolite 2 is $3500 and up depending on build kit.) The XCL would probably be at least $2500.

Any comments or suggestions please? (Sorry if this has already been discussed.)

2. guero

guero iFroth

ride them both and buy whichever one feels best to you. you are gonna be the one riding it, cussing at it, crashing on it and loving it. :D

maybe patrick can chime in. he has a motolite which he hardly rides, but he seems to really enjoy it the 4 times a year he rides it, right patrick? ;)

3. Rob

Rob Active Member

Bike Mechanic at Rock n Road n MV
    The Titus is going to be lighter. The XCL is defiinitely stronger. That bike is overbuilt.

I'd save the money and get the stronger bike. They've also got a deal going on right now at Adrenaline for 1349 for the frame and that includes a Chris King headset(For STR Members)

Neil had his down to 27 lbs.

I plan on getting one and putting a Lyrik on it.

4. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Gotta go with guero on this one... I would actuall recomend getting out and trying to ride everything you can in that price range. You have a lot of options at the 3K level.

Go check out some of the goods at the local shops that we are oh so lucky to have all over OC.

The Path
    Adrenaline
    Switchback
    just to name a few

Jensen if you find yourself out in that area...

Both Jensen and The PAth are gearing up for huge sales in the near future which with a little planning could translate into a whole nother ( is that a word) level of bike.. You never know what is out there until you go check it out...

See you on the trails

5. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

I have a Titus, but customer service is so bad and the fact that if anything is wrong with the bike, they want a "Titus dealer" to take care of it (far from HB, and a hassle to ship, for a measly little bolt loosening up). So, I wouldn't recommend it.

Love the bike though.

6. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    I should have my XCL built up by next week. I'm just waiting for some hubs to arrive so I can finish the wheel build.

You're more than welcome to give it a test ride. It's a medium, so if you're anywhere around 5'10", it should fit you ok. I have a Talas 32 up front so you can check that out as well.

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    i have ridden neither but would definitely get the Chumba without a doubt.

8. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I would say Chumba XCL. Its a very confidence inspiring bike. And great at cover up mistakes (something I know oh so well). Customer service from Chumba is fantastic, and these guys ride as well. So chances are that youd probably bump into Jason, Ted, or Alan at some point on a track.

You can go check out there facility if you give em a call ahead of time. Its not the biggest place, and no air conditioning but its an interesting trip. And the bike does feel very strong. It was actually Rob, Jason, Alan, and a few others that talked me into the Chumba, I havent had second thoughts since then. Right now its just dialing everything in.

But the best thing is like others here have said, ride EVERYTHING that you can and go from there. The Yeti 575 is also a great bike within that price range. But the Chumba comes with a Chris King headset.8)

My bike is a size small with the Pike 454 coil fork and DHX air. Its on the heavy side, but the stronger side. I'd be more than happy to let you test ride my bike if you come out to one of the rides. :bang:

9. SSinGA

SSinGA Free-XC-Downhiller

short-bus driver
    I saw the Motolite at Competitive Cyclist for $1450 in most sizes but limited colors.

Choose based on fit.

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    dude, you are a retard......did you forget that this is a SoCal forum?

11. SSinGA

short-bus driver
    Sorry....duh! Choose the one based in Cali (like a Turner). :p

12. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

Time to lay off the vodka and kool aid for a bit....

13. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    you will have to excuse SSINGA...he really is an ok guy. He doesnt realize that Southern California actually includes Orange County where Chumba is. Or perhaps he was recommending Ventana, also in California.

SSINGA, which bikes are made in your funny-accented cousin-marrying neck of the woods?

14. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Like Geronimo's 5Spot :-k

15. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

You have me to fix anything that can go wrong.

The feed back that I get is that our bike will out track anything in its class. With the XCL and you gain confidence.
    I hear all the time how the XCL makes up for the couple OZ's of weight with its handling. BTW the frame only weighs 6.3 without the shock. And we have stock builds that are at 30 lbs even. That is with the XT package that uses mavic Crosslander wheels.
    We have people Dirt Jumping it doing 4X on it and racing it XC . I even took it for some DH runs. The bottom line is its built to last and last and last . We have never had a failure. Tell me a bike company that can say that.
    If you have any questions cal me at 714-348-6859.

Jason

I'm in OC right off the 91 FWY .

What size are you looking for ?
    What color.
    What Build kit?
    We have demos.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  16. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Dang! you should sell cars! Will you throw in the floor mats for free?

17. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    Man I think it's cool and it's evident that you truely believe in and support your Chumba bikes... but seriously this statement doesn't hold much weight as the XCL hasn't even been out that long. So yeah great you've got a b!tch'n track record on a bike that's how old? and how many have you sold in that time? It's all relative CJ...
    Just my $0.02 cents

-Rodel.

18. SSinGA

short-bus driver

I fully realize tha Chumba is "local". Just getting in my typical Homer "buy a Turner" response. :bang:

Plus, if any of the bikes were made out this way they would probably be cheaper.

19. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    So it's a "Jack of all trades, master of none"...

20. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Find me somthing it cant do well.

The XCL frame is a capable all mountain / XC frame. Find me a light XC frame that you can feel comfortable doing anything . Then your your post might have a little credibility .It was originally designed for XC and does that well. We received calls from people Dirt jumping it thats when we found out it works well for that too. We did the computer testing to test the strength on top of many hours of field testing. So we knew it would hold up. Go buy a SC Super lite then do a 360 off a 8 foot latter drop and call me in the morning. ( From the Hospital )
    Ha Ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.