Chino Hills State Park proposed for closure (Threads merged)

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by slapshotz, May 29, 2009.

1. rmesa1

rmesa1 Member

chose your local park and click on it from the map you can sign the petition that get sent to Arnold and related officials

2. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing
    Chino Hills is on there... OUCH!!!!

3. mr.hobbs

mr.hobbs New Member

Solid Gold dancer by night. Green Peace chairman b
    The good news is: with the parks closed and no money to support them, there will be no one to patrol them.

4. tougerenner

tougerenner New Member

So, what exactly does that mean? Will the sycamore malibu trails just be a free for all will all trails open to bikes? there are plenty of trails out there i have dreamed of poaching but i always obeyed the signs. What about the Camp grounds at sycamore is that gonna be like a hobo village now free to squatters? Or will the land just revert back to private property and we will have to dodge bullets from an angry rancher when we want to ride.

5. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Today is a big day:
    "Next Tuesday, June 2, the Legislature's Budget Conference Committee will consider this proposal. State park advocates need to make their voices heard RIGHT NOW. Your contact to your legislators is critical."

6. sickboy433

sickboy433 New Member

local 433 union ironworker
    Congrats Arnie, kill the few things that actually make Money.... Protest now!!!!!!!!

7. smokedtitan

smokedtitan New Member

Closed or not, I'll still ride them.

8. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Is it time to jump ship? 42 years in CA, and I'm closer than ever to getting out. Lost my well paying job a few months ago to the over all down turn, now my wife a school teacher is out, funding cuts to EVERYTHING... PD, FD, Parks, Social Programs, Schools, general maintenance (roads, etc.).

Not that the whole country isn't hurting, but it appears CA, a state that is more wealthy than some countries, is really in the sh1ter.

9. SnglTrckMnd

SnglTrckMnd New Member

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  10. David Whiting

David Whiting Member

News Director, Orange County Register
    Home Page:
    Was running around this weekend trying to get a handle on how riders feel about all this. Dozens of folks and am running an online poll on my OC Register site. Maybe this stuff is useful for ideas on keeping it open, or the reader response??? This is one big park and a hellova place to ride and ride and ride.

11. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    who's the "lucky" dood ;)

on topic - F' Arnold. :-s

12. KushD

KushD Mountain Toker

Girl watching
    Community service

7. Get some of those loosers from the court to do the hard work. Fixing the trails and all the other heavy lifting is "community service" - no need to pay anyone to do the grunt work, if they suck you just get rid of them.

13. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    Convict crews from the Chino Men's prison do trail work and brush clearance in the park.

14. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this, but I just can't help myself. #-o

During the next election, will everyone that complains about the pitiful job our elected officials (from both parties) are doing re-elect them? If so, will they expect a different result?

ps - in retrospect, how smart are all those bond measures we can't seem to get enough of? Do we still believe they won't result in any new taxes?

15. David Whiting

David Whiting Member

News Director, Orange County Register
    Home Page:
    Dunno if it will help, but I've got more than two-dozen folks weighing in, 450 votes on a poll on Chino Hills and other comments. Had to edit the comments down from more than 1,000 lines. Perhaps someone will compile stuff on this site and elsewhere and send to the decision makers.....

16. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Eric, we were just talking about that. I think about all the dumb@$$e$ you guys rescue from the cliffs each year, plus the number that you pull out of the water.

17. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    since you brought it up...how about all the ridiculous propositions (hello--we have a representative democracy). they waste tons of time/money and are often overturned as unconstitutional or get changed by the next proposition--and most people make their decisions on those votes based on 30-second commercials. great way to run the 7th largest economy in the world.

ultimately, little change w/ the annual budget battles as long as a 2/3's majority is required (one of only 4 states that needs more than a majority).

18. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    You have to go on vacation? ? :?: I prefer to get my phil on a daily basis...and my sun always rises :)

No hi-jacking here.... Back to the idea of getting a 'tour' going, Dave (press) is already chiming in...

Community service is another idea I like, we wouldn't save too much on labor, the guards costs as much as the hired ditch diggers do. But possibly easier to staff.

19. KushD

KushD Mountain Toker

Girl watching
    I do believe that you are mixing up work release with community service - anyhow you don't need anyone with a gun to watch the community service folks since you can get community service for all kinds of misdemeanors and traffic tickets, so these people just want you to sign off that they put their hours in.

I'd say that it would be feasible for a volunteer to supervise things like trail maintenance/trail creation and similar projects with ranger oversight.

So they get prisoners from Chino state do trail maintenance? :?: I just don't see how the trails are in such bad shape with all that free labor.

20. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    I've seen them doing repairs and brush clearance on Telegraph Cyn Road. May have been the convict fire crew prepping for the wildfire season.