Chino hills park

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by MtnBikerBamBam, Apr 4, 2005.

1. MtnBikerBamBam

MtnBikerBamBam New Member

server
    hey has anyone been to chino hills park since the last rains??? is it open??? anyone know anywhere else to ride nights other than fullerton and turnbull. :?:

2. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Have you tried Schabarum Park?

3. MtnBikerBamBam

MtnBikerBamBam New Member

server
    yeah but it isnt my favorite place though im not to much in to sustained climbs and well there isnt much there to do is there?

4. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Yeah, I guess that's true.  I like to connect Turnbull to Schabarum to change it up and add miles.

Bonelli is more like Fullerton if you're looking for less sustained climbing.

If you're looking for fun free-riding try Aliso Woods.

5. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Anywhere in the National Forest (that isn't closed due to toads or something) is legal at night. My favorite and a popular choice is the Santiago Truck Trail. Two options are 1) up and back parking on Modjeska Grade Road, 2) Park at Cook's Corner, climb the road up to the start of STT, go to Old Camp, catch the Luge on the way back down. I usually go with option 2.

Another variation is to park at Cook's, go into Whiting Ranch via the horse ranch, do that loop, then cross Santiago Canyon Rd and do the STT/Luge loop. All 3 variations are about 16 to 18 miles with about 3000 feet of climbing. Just doing the STT/Luge is about half of that.

6. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker New Member

Account Manager
    I went to Chino Hills on Monday around 11am. It was my day off and I couldn't resist going there. Northridge is still closed but I decided to claim illiteracy and ride past the signs. Southridge is open at the YL entrance.

Besides the huge trail/land slide about 50 yards from the start (impossible to miss), the trail was in good condition after the rains. Riding up the trail was a giant pain in the ass, though. No riders/hikers means that the plants aren't getting trampled on. There were numerous sections where I was engulfed in green and yellow. It was so bad in some spots that I had to unclip my cleats and put my feet on the top tube to avoid plants. I wanted to stand on my seat like my sister and I did in kindergarten, but I imagined my self eating it and having to explain the crash. I hope they open it up and do some maintainence soon; I've never seen it so overgrown.

I did about 10 tic checks, all came back a negative.

7. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Rode STT Tonight

Rode STT tonight and it was great! Trail is 100% rideable. Excellent night ride, although it was cool tonight due to low clouds and winds. In the summer it is really nice in the late evening and after dark. The climbing is a little technical- moreso after the rains. A lot of flowers are starting to bloom. Could hear the creek down below (the one that goes past Old Camp) roaring. Didn't check out the Luge but I think it is open, too.