Chino Hills getting OG

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by pshloss, May 5, 2006.

1. warsaw1776

warsaw1776 Crash Dummy

student

good point....but its interesting that he thinks that a couple bikers riding through the canyon will disturb the animals but driving truck through the hills to chatch them wont do a thing at night as if its worth it to just give a warning.

2. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    I saw a mountain lion last fall at dusk in Chino Hills. The lion crossed the trail 50yrds in front of me into a meadow. I knew they were in there, but now when I ride, I'm always looking over my shoulder.

3. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    I've got a funny story, to me anyway, about lions there too. I was going to go riding on a Friday last January. I was either going to do Whiting - Old Camp, or Chino Hills - Twin Rings. Due to lions, my wife didn't like the idea of me riding Whiting - Old Camp by myself, and to be honest, I wasn't all that excited either. So I did Twin Rings. I started at Carbon Canyon Park, and worked my way around to the southern TH at Rim Crest. I saw a slip of paper noting a mountain lion sighting, mother & cub, just a few days before I was there. I starting laughing out loud and just continued my journey. Of course, I rang my incredibell (dinner bell to a lion I'm sure) quite a bit after that. I had the time of my life there that day. On Raptor Ridge, I rode right up on to a coyote, within 5 feet even. It finally trotted about 20 feet off. I literally started talking out loud to it and saying how it had to be the stupidest coyote I've ever come across. I thought for sure the sound of a human voice would send it running off. Nope. Apparently the local coyotes aren't scared one bit of humans. This really took me by surprise as the coyotes run like a mofo where I grew up. Of course, this was in Siskiyou County, and they don't last long if they stand in one place for too long in front of a rancher on his ranch.

CHSP is a nice place, and a good opportunity to see wildlife. I'd rather not see a lion though.

4. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Another coyote story:
    Last thursday after splitting with the group to add a little extra credit climb up Mathis to Top of the World I came across a medium coyote between the end of Coyote Run and Mathis trails. Also feet away. That sucker didn't give half a squat that I was there. I slowed, yelled for him/her to get out of the way. S/He ducked into the brush on the side of the trail, but stayed at the edge, half-covered. The second I passed, she came out of the brush and continued upon her way as if I never even was there.

Glad it was a coyote and not a big cat....we were close!

Come to think of it, I recently saw a bobcat in that same area. Must be a "game trail".

5. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    One time when riding next to the lake I came up on a flock of ducks, I got closer and most of them moved except for the biggest one, I tried to bunny hop it but my foot came out of my toestrap and I fell sideways and landed on it. I felt bad because he was really hurt, I called animal control from the payphone and waited for them.

6. SlowSpokes

SlowSpokes aka HuckSpokes

Poor Duckie :(

7. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

whoah!! a Brea kid!! welcome to the group!! I stay in Anaheim and hit the Fullerton loop almost as much as the KING!! :beer:

8. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Same Sierra Nevada boy that was wearing leg armor in the Cytomax Spring Classic?

It's a lot of fun to go fast at CHSP, but you've got to rein it in when there are hikers about.

9. Steven Jackson

Steven Jackson My loop, my rules!

Pizza Maker/Delivery Driver
    Home Page:
    Lots of cows out on the loop lately, I think the Jenny Craig group is there every tuesday.

10. gurp13

gurp13 SolarFederationMember

High School Teacher
    Dude, whatever you do, watch where you huck. You'll brake off your kickstand on one of those, bro.