Changes at Blackstar Canyon ??(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UR2KLOS, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JoJon

JoJon Member

That's it, meet at the Albertson parking lot, ride to the meeting then ride the park after.

2. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Waldo, I don't want a petition it would just be a letter. I just want to make sure "they" are aware of my (our) concern NOW. If we wait until after the decisions are made it will be too late. I don't want them to say that they were not aware of our concern when they were making decisions. The main point is that limiting access to blackstar at night would effectively be cutting off access to the CNF for many of us.

I agree the wording can be improved.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I know none of us like riding thru road apples; but I notice the current B* gate blocks equestrian access. Wonder if they'll be a change to that.

I certainly think that our concerns about night time access should be stated at this meeting; we have to get these types of comments in as early in the process as possible.

4. bharer75

bharer75 New Member

EMT/ Going into Marine Corps Fire
  5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    My comment about night riding has nothing to do with Blackstar Fireroad but maybe nighttime access to some of the singletrack and fireroads that will be in the new park.

Dean

6. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    I will be there! Rolling out on my bike from my home in North Tustin at 8am, through Peters Canyon and on to Blackstar. PM me if you want to ride from Tustin. Hoping to ride to Beek's and back afterward...if time permits, have to be home by 2:30.

7. bdegroodt

bdegroodt Juñior Member

Home Page:
    From the OP's link it states:

The public will have the opportunity to provide written comments on the concept plan at each of the exhibit stations.

The OC Parks Commission will consider the concept plan for Black Star Canyon Wilderness Park at their Feb. 4 meeting. OC Parks staff in March will present to the Board of Supervisors progress on reaching a final decision over the open space donation.

8. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

My thoughts on the Meeting...

I believe that the absolutely best thing we can do tomorrow is simply show up in as large a number as possible, listen respectfully and politely state our individual concerns about the proposed park.

My main concern is that if this becomes a County Park, will I no longer be able to drink a beer at the top???:beer:

9. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Hello all,

I just received an e-mail about this post, so felt I should log on to answer.

Basically in previous posts, I pretty much stated that I don't come here often, and part of the reason is the anger and suspicion that many (not all) have. The last three posts where people asked a question of me, which I answered with simple facts; brought on the all too typical reference to my comments and the way land managers try to adhere to the NCCP, as being similar to the Hitler regime.

This just gets old.

There are a lot of good people here but also quite a few who can take a positive issue like this one and immediately turn it into a negative.

I have not read all the posts here, but I did see the word petition tossed around, and my first thought was.....why??? A petition is premature and not needed.

Here is what I know of the plan.
    • The Blackstar connection to CNF will remain 24/7 access just as it is now.
    • The areas to the sides that are currently docent led have plans for better staging areas, and added trail connections.
    • The road itself will be improved with better road-side parking and a road adjacent trail so people don't have to hike or ride on the road to get to the gate.
    • Also the gate will be moved closer to the intersection of Baker Canyon Road which will still be locked for vehicle access just as is the existing gate.
    • The new gate should also accommodate equestrian access which is current not available due to the gate configuration.
    Absolutely nothing negative IMO with this plan.

People know how to reach me via my contact information in the members area.

Please just know that I don't come here, however I can answer questions (if I know the answer) for people who contact me. If I don't know the answer I will do my best to find out.

Lastly before I leave.......on another positive note.
    As I have stated many times....... the Quail Hill seven-day connection from the Quail Hill Trail Head up to Serrano Ridge has always been the plan. It just needed to go through processes (which is how things are supposed to work)

The trail opening is set for March 20th and I will be spending the next month getting the new gates, new signs, and some trail improvements completed.

There are so many positive things taking place in the county as far as more trails, better and more frequent open access, better signage, and more frequent programs.

So IMO, people need to start focusing on the positive and not the percived negative.

Blackstar is a completely positive thing and access to Beeks is not being taken away.

People should definitely show up and see the plans for the area, and judge for themselves.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions as I will be off the boards.

Thanks!

10. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Thank you JamR. I will be interested to hear what they say and if there will still be a place to park at night even after the gate is moved. 24 hr access doesn't help if you cannot park there.

11. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    This process will move very quickly.
    OC Parks commision meets on it on Feb 4th and it would go to the OC Supes in March.

12. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The

Thanks for the info and especially for the offer of direct contact and answers where possible. Regardless of what anyone thinks of specific issues, I would hope that they respect you making yourself available like that.

13. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

14. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    bummed - family stuff today - ride fully tomorrow!!

15. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

Trip report

Just got back from the mtg. There were around 10 park commision people, 10 rangers and 30 citizens. Half of the citizens were mtn bikers.

Our nighttime access concern was the most popular topic. The good news is the road will remain open at night to bikes and hikers because it legally has to due to the long standing right of way to the CNF. We should have some parking spaces at night but they were a little wishy washy on this subject. They are defintely now aware of our concerns and it isn't clear if they were before the mtg so it is good that we went.

The new gate will have an easier bike and horse pass-through than the existing skinny-people-only gate.

The speaker mentioned that if people don't behave (e.g. build illegal trails at night) then all parking will be banned at night. The same BS we have on Irvine Conservancy property where instead of trying to catch the bad guys they restrict access for everyone.

Officially all of the changes are just proposals and nothing is definite. Everything is contigent upon the government accepting the land from the Irvine Co. I don't know what the time frame is for any of this.

A local resident actually said something nice about mtn bikers! The increase in bike traffic during the day and night has led to a decrease in troublemakers hanging around the area. We should mention this when groups try to restrict our access.

The guy who owns the land with the massive new driveway at the start of Blackstar trail was in attendance. Nice friendly laid-back cowboy type.

16. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Sorry I couldn't attend due to sickness but did they mention if the land would be managed by OC Parks or IRC?

17. Jayhar

Jayhar New Member

Graphic Designer
    ^^good report. thanks for the info. i looped through the BS lot today while riding, tons of cars. were there a grip of people riding today or what?

18. TMS

TMS New Member

It sounded like OC parks to me. It would be like any of the other wilderness areas they manage.

19. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

The commissioners also gave us the dates of their meetings, if we would like to attend. They're the first Thursday of every month and this next Thursday they are having a meeting. They said if we are going to attend en mass, please let them know so they can make arrangements. More info can be found on http://www.ocparks.com

There was also a representative from the Fire Watch Council. She was very interested in having Mountain Bikers become volunteers for Fire Watches due to the frequency of our trail use. Her information is below:

Mary Schreiber
    18611 Yorba Linda Bolvd.
    PO Box 522
    Yorba Linda, CA 92886
    [email protected]
    Office: (714) 693-6886

20. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I felt the meeting was very positive. The usually company policy talk the good folks at OC Parks but I have a feeling that the Orange County Park Commissioners are very workable. I am seriously thinking about at least attending a meeting to get a better feeling. I first need to find the agenda for their meeting next week. The biggest surprise to me was the support for the MTBing community by the people that live in Silverado Canyon, may they just want the roadies off the pavement...j/k.

Dean