CHAINS!!!! AARRRGH!!! Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ChariotsOfTires, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ChariotsOfTires

ChariotsOfTires Fenceline/Hewhobendspoles

Help Desk Analyst
    Did they break on you or just stretch out and need replacing?

2. BoingBoing

BoingBoing Team Sisyphus

manual stabilization
    +1 on 'load of crap.' If you change your chain when it needs changing, your cassette shouldn't have much wear. But running a worn chain, wears your cassette.

3. 6packguywith5spot

6packguywith5spot New Member

Loanshark
    :lol: YOU HAVE GOT TOO MUCH POWER IN YOUR LEGS :lol:

Too much tourqe and anything breaks. Does it happen during shifting? It happened to me in past druing shifting till I eased down during a shift and no more problems.

I had it happen to me on an older chain due to wear but a brand new one? :?:

Ali

4. ChariotsOfTires

ChariotsOfTires Fenceline/Hewhobendspoles

Help Desk Analyst
    :lol:I must have power in me legs I never knew I had :-k. Yeah, Torque is the issue, but not changing gears. I have learned to ease off when trying to change gears. We will have to see how this Shimano Deore XT Chain works.

5. thephat

thephat Active Member

Just for the record, I do not feel that 8 speed chains are stronger than 9 speed chains as a general rule. I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence, but nothing that changed my mind. I think it is just hard to trust a product that you have not had good luck with, even if you know that 30 sets of 30 may tell otherwise.

6. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto New Member

Well guess what,

Yesterday I posted that I have had my 991 hollow pin for quite a while with no problems. Well today, it broke#-o. So for the awesomeness of two power-links on one chain, I blame all of you...

7. slapfan1

slapfan1 New Member

Ninja
    Same thing happend to a friend of mine, not sure if his chain was SRAM. It sucked it happend 2 miles into the trail. :?:

8. Rawhead

Rawhead Member

my first chain on my current bike was a SRAM 971. It too broke early and often. I now run the SRAM CrossStep 991... night and day difference. The CrossStep has been bullet proof.

Keep in mind... shifting under load will cause just about every chain to bend/break. I found the more I rode, the better my shifting judgment... equaling better chain life.

9. Happy_Gilmore

Happy_Gilmore Blood Donor - Give Life

Funny thing about SRAM chains, if I install a new chain and leave it alone its seems to last forever, if I clean it and oil it - its breaks every time ?

10. thephat

thephat Active Member

Should have knocked on wood.

This is funny. I have heard this one too. I have not seen this pattern myself, but I have heard it from seemingly reliable folks. I think maybe it has to do with folks neglecting the chain, then giving it some love before they test it hard on a tuff ride. Or maybe you lubed your chain becuase it was making noises, but maybe the noise was from the chain starting to fail.

Or maybe I'm nuts, and lubricant can be bad for Sram chains.

One thing I know is that I have not seen this with folks who lubricate frequently, like every ride or so.

11. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I Lube my chain every two rides like clockwork, and scrub it down every four or five.

Sometimes if I am in a hurry I just blast it with some white lightning, but usually I am using Bosheild T9. Great stuff, and personally most people put too much on. If your using the Bosheild, One drop per roller is all you need.

Maybe people are seeing breakage after lubing because they are lubing right before a ride. Leaving a wet and sticky chain, making dirt stick in the links and wearing it sooner. No matter what lube your using for your Mtn bikes, make sure its a dry lube, IE whitelightning Bosheild, Krytox, Finish line Dry ETC. I know they comeout wet, but that is why they say to let them sit for at least two hours prior to riding.

If you forgot and need to lube before a ride, Use something like Pedros Ice wax, It dries really realyl fast, in about 20 minutes, just dont forget to wipe off the excess just like with any lube.

12. slapfan1

slapfan1 New Member

Ninja
    Great advice. I do lube my bike after every two rides. I don't know how good the lube Im using is. I use rem oil, I just spray the chain never had a problem.

13. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Dang, I lube my chain before rides even. LOL. I just use Prolink Gold. That stuff is awesome. Saturate the chain, then wipe off. Never had a problem. Keeps dirt out and lasts a few rides.

14. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    I'm at about 900 miles now, maybe 400 dirty ones on the first 971, when I was a Big Clyde at 255, about 500 on the new one, better maintenance program and cleaning this time around. A lot of vertical on both of them. Climbing while standing up out of the seat and torquing it single speed style really takes it's toll, sitting down and spinning it seems to prolong the chains life, at least for me.
    Chains are cheap compared to ring gears and cassettes. Change them regularly and measure them with frequency, catch them before they wear out. As it is right now, I can almost bet that when my rear tire is worn out (Fat Albert), so is my chain. Probably should just order them both at the same time.

15. jake

jake c('.'c)

I bought my bike new in mid January 08 with a SRAM PC971 chain.

The first time the chain broke was mid February 08 after only a few hundred miles. I was going down hill, hit a little incline, stood up, and SNAP. Whatever, shit happens, I installed another powerlink and rode on.

I went for a ride around the block tonight after cleaning my bike and SNAP, it breaks a second time, on the street and not under any kind of extreme load. Lame.

I ride a lot of miles and my bike gets dirty, but I'm a perfectionist and clean my drivetrain religiously after every ride. I use a stiff bristle brush to remove all the buildup and I use a rag to clean between every cog until it looks showroom clean. I lube my chain with Rock-n-roll and carry extra lube in the Camelbak if it ever gets dry on longer rides. My chain is never dry and squeeky.

I've never broken a properly installed Shimano chain. Bye bye SRAM chain.

16. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    I always use SRAM and have never had a breakage. I lube the chain before every ride. However I recently did a 35miles on a dry chain through sand and dirt and it was making an awful din but still no problems and still riding the same chain. Its possible alot of failures could be down to stones flying up and jamming in the plates as cogs engage with chains or one of the crankset teeth is slightly bent which puts lateral loading on the plates.

17. WarPony

WarPony ...in the meantime...

Bartender @ Anthill Pub (Student Center UC Irvine)
    I've never snapped a SRAM chain...bent a few. I've snapped numerous Shimano chains on hardtails with no chain growth...go figure...basically I don't what to tell ya but I've never had a serious issue with a SRAM chain and I've had several with Shimano chains.

18. Man blong Gaua

Man blong Gaua Bike's Eye View

Land Surveyor
    Home Page:
    I've broken all the chains I owned before '05 and haven't broken a single chain since then. I think the difference is how long you run them before replacement (in my case no more than one year) and how you shift them (low load and before you need to). I run sram exclusively, the 971, 991's and love them. I also own a good chain check tool and use it. I have however heard of some runs of chains (and frames, forks, shocks...etc) not being good so maybe go to a different style if buying from same shop.

19. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

After breaking multiple Shimano chains, I actually just installed a SRAM!

I have about 40 miles on it so far.

20. uno-speedo

uno-speedo Its all about the ti baby

Design things