CHAINS!!!! AARRRGH!!! Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ChariotsOfTires, Apr 17, 2008.

1. ChariotsOfTires

ChariotsOfTires Fenceline/Hewhobendspoles

Help Desk Analyst
    So took my newly upgraded rig to Bonelli Park this morning for a little ride. About a mile into the ride my CHAIN BREAKS. Brand new chain, only 9 miles on it!!!!!
    Take the chain back to Incycle (where I bought it) and they warrantied the SRAM 970 9 spd chain. Put a new one on and headed back to Bonelli to continue my ride. Brand new chain working great until mile 1.5 SNAP!!!!!!!! The second chain broke? Seriously? I was prepared this time. Bought a quick link last time at Incycle. Fixed the chain and finished my ride.
    Took the bike back to Incycle where I had them put on a Shimano XT 9 spd chain. We have to see if the Shimano Chain will hold up, unlike the SRAM.

Has anyone run into this issue with SRAM Chains?

Related Thread on the upgrades: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/17299-stock-rock-upgrade-time.html

Attached Files:

2. jamesdc

jamesdc New Member

The sram chains are absolute crap, I have broken them more times then I can count and I will never buy a sram chain again.

3. m0to

m0to Stunt Muppet

Engineering Manager
    Home Page:
    I broke the chain on my Nomad the first week I had it...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  4. schleppp

schleppp Active Member

I rode my SRAM chain for 2 years before it snapped, and it was my fault for pedaling through with a branch stuck in my chainring...

5. ChariotsOfTires

Help Desk Analyst
    I think I'm in agreement jamesdc. I love the shifters and derailer, but the chain sucked.

6. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    Been running 970's for a few years and never had one break yet. Bent a few, but never broke one.

7. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    You are obviously too strong to ride bicycles.

Please take public transportation for your safety and ours.:wave:

8. thephat

thephat Active Member

Could be a bad run of chains, all from one box.

I have not noticed a pattern of Shimano chains being stronger than Sram on the whole. I know folks who have had bad luck with Shimano. I know some folks who swear that no 9 speed chain is strong enough for mountain biking.

Also, check for bent teeth on rings and cogs. Are you getting chain suck? Maybe just some dancing in one of the rings? You may have a drivetrain wear issue being exposed by the new chain. Chain suck, skipping gears, and miss shifts under load all can cause chain failure.

9. ChariotsOfTires

Help Desk Analyst
    That is awesome!!! Maybe too phat, but definately not too strong!!!!

10. ryandood

ryandood i ride bikes

Student
    I've been running a 951 SRAM for a few months and it works fine for me.

11. station

station Is this thing on?

Here's a related question. I've heard you can't change your chain without changing your cassette. True?

12. thephat

thephat Active Member

You can, but many mechanics will suggest that you change the cassette, and the rings. It is an easier way to not get yelled at than to take the time to make somone understand all of the issues.

For some, it is worth avoiding the chance that you have to take your bike back to the bike shop. I know that is not most of our attitude, but you guys are not the general public.

I am not talking about our shop here.

13. ChariotsOfTires

Help Desk Analyst
    Rear Cassette is brand new as well as the chains. 07 SRAM 990 9 spd. I was in the middle chain ring both times on similar hills. The chain rings are probably getting close to needing replacement. No chain suck or skipping.

14. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

I run Sram 970 chains, And I beat the holy hell out of them, I havent broken a chain in years, last chain I broke was a crappy KMC that came on my old KHS rage.

Jus tot add In I am using them for AM and DH, i weigh in at 245 without gear on and I absolutly pound the hell out of my bike on climbs, out of teh saddle, Hi gear stomp my way up.

It sounds to me that Thephat has it right, just a bad batch of chains, seen this same thing happen before with shimano just the same.

Oh, and I use that quick link on all chains, Except Campy of coarse. I have seen more than a few bikes running stock shimano chains with a sram powerlink on them.

Thats a load of crap, it all depends on how long you run the same chain, and how worn you let it get before changing it. Buy a chain checker, and when it says to replace it, do so. I go through about 5-9 chains a year on both the DH and Roadie bike. I use teh Park tools chain checker, and when it hits the .75 mark... New chain. Oh and My cassette is 5 years old.

Here Linky to chain checker
    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-2

15. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    my sram 971 broke on my second ride... not sure what happened, =just put on another power link and it has't cause any more problems...

16. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Never broke a chain. But I don't weigh that much so I might not have as much torque.

17. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I have had good luck with sram chains. I am thinking of trying the hollow pin sram chain.
    The only time I have noticed them break is when people cut them to short then add the links back on because they shortened it to much.. It's never as strong as the original pressed in links.
    I have also noticed that single pivot bikes tend to break chains faster than others set ups..

18. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto New Member

My PC991 Hollowpin chain has been perfect for much longer than I should keep a chain(close to a year). At the moment no signs a stretch. Should replace it, but hey it ONLY has about 3k miles on it.

19. faded1004

faded1004 New Member

Mechanical Engineer
    i actually want to try out the hollow pin one too...

20. AlphaMog

AlphaMog Member

I have snapped more Shimano chains than sram chains. I have been riding sram for about 2 years now and finally snapped one (it so happend to be a brand new 990 chain, one with less than 20 miles) i added another powerlink and it snapped again in a different area. It could have been just a bad build on the chain. Current one is not having issues.

But as far as Shimano vs. sram... i couldn't really say if one is more reliable than the other. I could say I broke more shimano chains but, I haven't started taking care of chains (cleaning/oiling regularly) until just the past year or two.

If I had to come up with reasons i use SRAM chains over Shimano I would have to say I prefer the powerlink and I like that SRAM doesn't ship thier chains with that thick film of grease like shimano does.