Cell Phone Law rant

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rockinthecasbah, Jul 3, 2008.

1. drclark

drclark I aim to misbehave

Engineer
    I agree with you on this point. It is too easy to obtain a drivers license, and the consequences for screwing up are usually far to light. The real question is whether or not the said dolts will drive any better or will find a new distraction. I believe the law will have little impact since enforcement will be spotty at best.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, however there are others who have been working much harder than I have been lately at getting reasonable trail access restored in PV. All I did was speak my mind at a couple of the PUMP meetings. I will freely admit that my postings to this thread are more an indulgence to rant about an inane law than accomplish something real.

Bingo. Unfortunately we have proven time and time again, you cannot legislate common sense and personal responsibility. For the record, I only got a cell phone this year and only because my fiancee insisted on it. I have little use for them in general, let alone when driving. I just get riled up when the general reaction to a perceived problem is that something needs to be banned. It just chips away at the collective freedoms of the citizenry one small piece at a time. I would prefer the CA legislature spend more of its time figuring out a way to pass a balanced budget without taxing crap out of us and businesses than spend their time micromanaging how we are to conduct our daily routines.

drc

2. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Lets pass a law that says everyone should be awake at least an hour before driving, because you know drowsy drivers cause accidents too, also every week you must have your tires inspected because you know blowouts cause accidents, why don't we just let the computers that already in our cars automatically cite us whenever we go over the speed limit or forget to click our seatbelts before rolling out of the driveway. The whole idea of the post was not this one stupud ass law, which isnt going to solve anything, its about how much the goverment is impending onto our everyday lives this can be applied to , MTB trials you cant ride a fireroad through a burned area? Give me an F in break, or any other stupid rule. Yeah you can make assumptions about people who would appose such a "GREAT LAW" the more dumb laws that get passed the closer we get to a total police state and people start jumping the fence back to mexico. I think I have seen 5 or so accidents since July 1st, they must have all been on there phone, because we know thats what causes accidents its not that fact that most people are morons !

3. bigpete61

bigpete61 New Member

Information Systems Analist
    I'm with the "drink a beer and pet your duck".
    There are bigger fish to fry out there. As HAPPY Gilmore would say gusfraba.

4. kdog4130

kdog4130 Rock it, rip it, shred it

Manager, Jax Bicycle Center
    Home Page:

Got your point.......you might feel a little different if you had your vehicle totalled by a person that was splitting their attention while talking on the phone. Driving is a privelage, and requires more attention than most people give it. I think this law is fair, and yes it does not cover texting.....but if people do that while driving, then they are a knucklehead in my opinion, and should not be driving in the first place. Too many people have their life altered one way or another by cell phone yeilding drivers every year.

5. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

That is actually the answer, It is my belief that the law was imposed, mainly to make the POPO enforce it.

Truth be said, there are Many.... MANY things an officer can site you under wreckless driving..... Problem is, that I think alot just dont care.

6. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

without reading all the posts, I have one thing to add;
    It's all about the revenue.
    Money, baby, money.

7. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    To make this more confusing Verizon does voice recognition for text messaging.

8. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    why is this such a big deal?

So we have to spend a few bucks to chat behind the wheel, crafty folk can simply clip their phone on the seat belt and keep a conversation going with a lot of "huh" and "speak Up!!":?:

I miss being a teenager when I could drive with my feet while taking bong hits and nursing and open container. Now I can even pick up a call, every body makes such a big deal out of what goes on in a car but how else are you supposed to get the car back to your house?#-o

Personally I cut out pre-driving antics when a group of mothers got MADD:drunk:. But hey last week it was a thread about saving money on gas commuting by bike, carpooling, or that haven for lice and STD's public transportation.

9. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

I wait for that day LOL

traffic would be light, national debt would be way down since we wouldnt be paying for schools/welfare/etc of illegals... and lots less remittances being sent back to mexico and more money in our economy.

you thought the war was expensive... it doesnt hold a candle to services for non residents

10. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

I know of at least 2 people that have moved back to Mexico due to the slow economy and difficulty getting work, and another considering it.

I also know of a few men that work for the same company as I that do not take the health insurance. They know it's available free. I do not know how to get free health care, but they do. That is in itself a drain on the financial health of health care.

11. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

So, it is illegal for me to listen to my iPod with headphones while driving...

But it is now required to use a headset while having a Cell conversation... does this mean if I listen to my iPhone with the SAME set of headphones I use for the phone call it is now legal??

Also, deaf folks can drive so what does hearing have to do with driving??

12. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

and one armed people can drive so what does it have to do with two hands

13. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Two hands isn't "La Ley"

14. Mommie Mayhem

Mommie Mayhem Mrs. Harley

delete button?

15. Mommie Mayhem

I guess if you were quick enough to delete the message, maybe you could just be quick enough to put the phone down?

Anyway, texting and calling on a cell phone is something everyone does daily, even during rides in the car (you too my love) However, some people can't walk and chew gum at the same time, those types have no business in the car anyway.... ya know?:?: Multitasking is a part of driving, it's a must. You must know who's behind you, next to you, driving erratically, not signalling, going too slow/too fast... yadi yadi. Gotta multi task. Especially us mothers with children in the car:wave:

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    You can not cover both ears when driving. If you don't need stereo you can listen to your iPod with an ear piece.

17. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband

If you want drivers to learn to do/realize all that just make 'em ride a motorcycle for a couple days, even just sitting on the back of one in traffic would work. ;)

18. Mommie Mayhem

Totally! :beer: I love bikes, but who the Heck is crazy enough to ride em in LA or other places with congestion and stupid drivers???

19. Kritter

Kritter Member

Suspension Design Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am more distracted by my blue tooth then I ever was by my phone. Half the time I have trouble answering the POS, voice dial sucks, checking voicemail you still need to key in your password. I have had more trouble in the last couple days with this stupid law then I ever had with a phone.

I could talk on my phone, eat a sandwich, read a map, shift gears AND get a roadie(not the bike rider with small tires and spandex) with less distraction then this blue tooth crap and i got the fancy clip on visor type so I dont look like a total dueche with the ear thing.

"so hang the f**k up and drive, dipshit."

That takes the cake for best thing I have ever read on this website.

20. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortunately this is just the 1st step in getting phones banned all together while driving...little by little we are losing our liberties...