Cell Phone Law rant

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rockinthecasbah, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

So the government thinks they can tell us we cant use a phone driving the car. Sounds like some more BS. We can still text message, fiddle with our ipod, do hair/nails/etc. What is this law doing? Except being extremely invasive on peoples private lifes. Just anouther reason for a cop to pull you over and screw with you. Also since we are allowed to drive and use blue tooth, its not that the conversation is the problem, california doesnt want us driving with one hand. Are we going to take the liecenses from all the one armed residents in California whats the difference between a one arm'd man having a conversation with a passenger and a person holding the phone with one arm? Nothing.. Typical BS and everyone knows laws are alot harder to get rid of then to create. This country has gone to hell in a hand basket,I just got into an argument with a friend becasue she thinks Bush is a great President...Dont get me started on that.

2. reflux

reflux New Member

You're right. This clearly wasn't a problem and the government did us a diservice by treating it as such. Btw, when will they be doing away with speed limits? They impose on my life and personal driving freedoms.

Wait, what's your point?

3. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Dude, all you're missing from that rant is, "When I was a kid...."

Have a beer, chill out, pet your duck. :lol:

4. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

My main complaint about this law is that it really doesn't fix any problem.

Texting is still allowed and it is really the conversation that is the distraction, not that I'm holding a phone to my face.

Lets ban screaming little kids and eating/drinking in the car while we are "fixing" these issues.

5. mazda-monkey

mazda-monkey Just a Member

I agree. Things I have seen others doing on the freeway which I feel is just as distracting (or worse):

Reading a book / newspaper.
    Eating a bowl of cereal.
    Shaving.
    Make-up application
    Man beating his wife.

6. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    How could they outlaw talking on the phone but forget the texting?
    I dont see why if they were going to be stupid they could have got 'em all with one shot... No electronic handheld devices :?:
    I know it isnt legal to listen to your ipod in you car, but i still see people doing it.

It has been proven BlueTooth devices use just as much Brain as talking on a cell phone does. Reaction Time is Just as Slow... Only difference is some may have that extra hand on the wheel, although most people i know drive one handed. My Grandmother has never has an accident, not even a fender bender in 50 years of Driving, and yesterday had her first! Not sure what the circumstances are, but i think it would be funny for the accident rates to go up because of this law. :lol:

Speaking of weird things to do in a car, One time when my Stepmom was on Patrol with a trainee they were stopped behind a car at a signal to turn left at like 6AM, and there wasnt too much traffic.. Well, she was teaching him to write something, or something like that, and as the SUV in front of them made the left turn on the green, it flipped over on its roof, missing parked cars. My stepmother said the car MAY have been doing 5-10 MPH. when they went to check if the lady was alright she was fine, just trying to put her shoes on while driving.. FUnny thing though how it just flipped.... no scratches on the sides just the top..

7. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Ummm, you're both a little young to be using that one..

OK, I understood the first two. I hope that's not what you young whipper-snappers are calling "it" these days....

If you buy me a beer I'll tell you where (besides "Fast times at Ridgmont High") the term "Dude" came from. you wont like it. :lol: :p :lol: :p

8. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    I agree stuff is getting a little out of hand when it comes to politics...

but oh well, the choice is generally between a huge douche and a sh!t sandwich... and I don't see it changing any time soon..

9. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    On second thought, maybe they did this to Distract us from the oil prices going up.

10. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

Sure, it's hypocritical to enforce this law and yet allow so many other dangerous things while driving...but frankly, I'm trying to look at the glass as half full...at least it's one small step in the right direction.

I'm tired of jack-asses who don't LOOK and don't SIGNAL lane-changes because they can't lower the phone away from their head for 2 seconds. I can't tell you how many times I've been cut-off and side-swiped due to this. It's at LEAST a dozen times a month, and I don't even drive very much.

This same thing does NOT happen with the other examples you've mentioned (eating, grooming, etc). It's only cell phone abusers that come to mind...at least 99 times out of 100.

This is one law I'm thankful for. I don't talk on the phone while driving. My friends know this. I answer the phone and say "call you back in a few."

As for your friend who thinks GW is a good President...well...she isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Most people I've debated with on this subject who support GW are so intellectually inferior it's a complete waste of time debating with them. Nothing but talking in circles and basic logical fallacies. Most people with any grey matter on top of their shoulders do not support GW. And since we all know this to be true...we can just smile and nod at the lesser intelligent people. :wave:

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Brain power devoted to talking doesn't matter. What really counts is our automatic responses to inputs fom nerves in the hand. We drive by feel. Our hands give us instantaneous feedback about our steering unless our hands are doing two things at once. Without proper feedback driving turns into a video game but unlike a video game life doesn't give you a second chance.

12. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    Oh, and another thing about this new BS law....

Cell phones ARE NOT the the most distracting thing to drivers. This is from a UNC study funded by AAA.

[​IMG]

HA!!! Not even in the top 5!!!

Oh. and I think "petting your duck" falls in the "other distractions" category ;)

UNC Site

AAA Article

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    It's not the distractions - there's plenty of spare brain. It's the hands.

14. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Of course its the hands! I always drive while sleeping because my hands know how to do all the work themselves and my brain doesn't have to work at all. Even when I am not asleep, I still keep my eyes closed, just as long as I have both hands on the steering wheel.

I hope you were joking.

15. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    All I can think about with this is that the lobbyists for Bluetooth did an amazing job getting this passed. They impacted none of the existing players involved (ie cell phone manufacturers), and yet by effectively mandating their own product they legislated their profits throught the roof. Smartest guys in the room indeed.

Seriously, talking is illegal but texting isn't? Does that make any sense at all? Neither one's a good idea, but at least with talking you're still looking at the road...

16. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Shutting off the brain doesn't count. :?:

Are these distractions dangerous?

Talking and mountain biking?
    Listening to iPod and mountain biking?
    Riding one-handed? (too obvious)

17. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

This was conducted in 2001!

I'd say cell phones are a little more of a factor now, seeing as how MILLIONS more drivers use them since this test was conducted.

18. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    read the fine print?
    http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/safety_info/distracted_drowsy/distracted_drivers_phase1_outline.cfm
    Study Methodology

The study analyzed data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Crashworthiness Data System (CDS). This data includes only information on crashes in which at least one vehicle was damaged severely enough to require towing from the scene. CDS crash investigators collect data from medical records, visits to the crash scene, examination of the vehicles and interviews with drivers and witnesses. It is important to note that the CDS analysis for this study was vehicle-based rather than crash-based, and thus almost certainly understates the role of driver distraction in crashes.
    In 1995, CDS investigators began describing the attention status of the driver at the time of the crash. Specific categories of distraction are identified and coded. The current study used data from 1995 through 1999, a total of 32,303 vehicles. Some CDS reports also have narratives that describe circumstances of the crash; this information was included in the study.
    Study/Data Limitations

Missing data:

The CDS data has a high percentage of "missing," "unknown," and "other" data. In spite of extensive investigations, driver attention status is "unknown" for almost 36 percent of the drivers. In addition, 34 percent of the drivers known to be distracted were coded as "other" or "unknown" distractions. Thus, present estimates for known distracting events probably understate their true magnitude.
    Sample size:

Because of small sample sizes, the data have large standard errors when weighted to reflect national estimates. For example, the estimates for cell phone use are based on only 42 reported cases.
    Reporting bias:

Some distractions may be more readily reported than others. Drivers may also be more willing to admit to certain distractions, since some distractions are more socially acceptable than others.
    Exposure data:

It is not known how much time drivers engage in various distracting activities, so relative risk cannot be determined. The CDS data only provides information on how often each behavior is a factor in crashes. More research is needed to document the frequency, intensity, and consequences of real-world driver distraction. Understanding driver distraction is especially important in light of new in-vehicle technologies.

19. CruIsRad!

CruIsRad! New Member

If you really didn't get his point, I'm not sure if we can help you. :?:

MOST people who are holding a phone to their ear do not bother LOOKING BEFORE CHANGING LANES and they DO NOT BOTHER SIGNALING.

I am tired of swerving out of their way because they are too lazy/self-centered/busy to signal or look.

Texting is just as dangerous, if not more so because people are looking DOWN. But I think they would have a hard time PROVING you were texting. If they see you with a phone to your ear, it's pretty obvious what you're doing.

But if they try to pull you over for texting and you didn't send the message yet, you could easily say they didn't actually see you texting - you were just checking what time it was. Even if you did send a message, you'd have time to delete it. I have a feeling that's why this didn't become a law as well.

20. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.

Not to re-re-re-reopen that can of worms, but yes. Kinda like the cell phone though - we all know it's not the best idea, and wish other people didn't do it. We justify it to ourselves that 'we're just tham much of a better rider' and couldn't possibly be distracted like those other dolts...