Castaic Race.Paging Mark

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Pain Freak, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    One of our own racing Castiac got a first place. Mark Sheetz took a first out there. I'm hoping he'll post a RR (race reprt) soon.:wave:

2. SScheetz

SScheetz Cracking frames since '88

CAD systems support
    Thanks Mike, you asked for it, here it is. Warning - very long and boring too.:-s

Hey everyone,

I guess it’s time to post something since I’m getting that little reminder that I haven’t posted in several weeks.

I ran into Mike at the Green Burrito in Castaic, almost unbelievable. I just left the race venue and he was returning from the Kernville Fat Tire Fest. I would sure like to start hooking up with you local STR riders for some fun now that the race season is done. I’m tired of racing and training hard.

Yeah, I ended the season on very high note. For the last 6 weeks I changed my training routine to include 3 days per week doing 2 hours of sprint hill intervals and alternate 3 days of 2 hour tempo. If any of you think I might have been rude up in CWP/Marshall, I was probably just beat down in the middle of an interval. My training consists of climbing for 30 second at 110% effort until I’m about to explode. Then continue climbing at 80% effort for 4-5 minutes, and then do another 30 seconds 110%. This makes my body “learn” to recover while under load, not just resting. It really paid off.

I pre-rode the course a week earlier and memorized every rock, switchback, steep face and “red-zones” and “recovery-zones”. I also made some slight but important adjustments to the bike, gearing, tires, ghetto tubeless conversion with homemade sealant (a little risky, but better than Stans). I have never been more prepared for battle. It definitely paid off.

The course is a short 7 mile loop with 1,500’ elevation gain divided into 3 climbs. The climbs are very steep but there is absolutely nothing technical. I made sure to gear my bike so I wouldn’t have to hike anything. Expert classes did 3 laps.

Lap 1: At the top of the first climb I began to put some distance on the field and started chasing Denton Bowers. Denton is a pro, so he isn’t in my class, but he became the rabbit that I set my sights on. Needless to say, the pace was crazy fast and I was afraid of blowing up by the second climb. Midway up the second climb the trail hooks around where I got a clear sight of the pack. Sweet! They were almost out of sight. The final descent into the start/finish area is a single track that is fun for everyone except us retards who ride full rigid. Its 3 miles of breaking bumps - ouch!

Lap 2: I had no idea where my competition was, so I kept up my ridiculous pace thinking either Dan Wilcox or Eric Bierman (my closest competitors) would soon be creeping up. I was still feeling strong. Up then down, up then down, up then down ouch!

Lap 3: By now it was getting harder to clear the lactic slowly building in the legs. It wasn’t until halfway up each climb that I could hammer hard again. I basically took it easy at the start of each climb until about midway when some strength would return back to the legs. A very strange sensation actually. Again, I think my training was paying big dividends. On the final descent, I let it all go. I really had very little control over the bike as it vibrated violently over the bumps. I thought for sure I could feel Eric coming up behind me ready to pass. This has happened too many times this season. Next year I’m going with a squishy fork.

At the finish I met up with Denton. He finished about 5 minutes ahead of me. I felt really good about this, he usually puts us mere experts to shame. I really expected the rest of the small single speed field to show up within minutes. Finally, after 31 minutes, here they come. It turns out I wasn’t really racing anyone. Due to mechanicals, they were really far behind. I would have rather won the race with my competitors intact.

Anyway … I ended up 3rd in state, expert single speed. Not too bad of an old guy. :beer:

[​IMG]
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (this pic is actually from the Elings Park race, I just thought I should throw in an action shot 8) )

[​IMG]
    I like standing on the big box.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Not boring at all Mark, thanks and Conrats again.

4. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Congratulations! Well done, especially beating Bierman! One of these days I'll figure out how to beat him in a Super D at Fontana.

5. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    dude tahts some mad air on the SS lol good work