Can O Worms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CPATCRASH, Nov 19, 2007.

1. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Sure. Patrol away. It's the event I am talking about. As I remember, SHARE was asked by the park staff to have a handfull of people patrol and watch the entrances to make people aware of the closure.

As far as the beer. I may come to the San Juan ride on Thanksgiving. If you don't push me off the mountain I just might have something special waiting for you in the car. :beer:

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Not much into the discussion (I know nothing of anything), but if you bring one for Andy you better have one for the rest of us!

:drunk:

3. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

On this note, does this mean that the Project Rwanda ride is still allowed to ride the Harding Leg?

4. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

No pushing here my brother. Just words from a computer desk. Lets ride.
    :drunk:

5. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams

Define us! My car is only so big.....

I thought it was re-routed. I could be wrong though.

I'm thirsty! :beer:

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    A case or so will be good :D

jk.. I'm actually bringing a 22oz left over from Bootleg for Jeff, Justin and I to share, and anyone else that cares to have some!

7. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

but who are they to patrol? I mean, they are not cops, park rangers or anyone else of authority.
    What would happen if a few guys rode up to an entrance and some "patrol" person told them to stop and they didn't?

Not that I would do such a thing, just asking.

8. Edog

Edog Member

I'm not

associated with either group, I have taken part in WS events in the past & have signed up for the 2008 CC. I was also surprised to find that the event is still on the same route.
    If it's closed it's closed, I think the event is more likely to be an issue in encouraging people to poach those trails before the event to train & see the new lay out of the Sliverado Motorway.
    There is plenty of great riding left in the Santa Ana's that could be utilized.
    I think as a group we should be careful that we aren't creating fuel for the fire for other groups. I'm sure the Sierra Club is going to love the fact that the event will go ahead.
    Seems like most of us are more concerned about us than the Forest. Clearing & maintaining trails is not about the HEALTH of any Forest or Park, it is about access.
    Anybody plant any trees lately?
    I think the Forest Service has some many user groups climbing up it's butt, keeping it closed for evaluation seems to be the only fair thing to do at this time. I'm not sure how many people here have studied Forest Ecology in depth, but I trust the Forest Service to make well informed decisions that benefit the long term health of OUR Forest, not make the popular choice so that I have an extra 50 miles of trail to ride, just because some members of the public get upset.
    If I belonged to another group outside of mountain biking & read some of these threads, I'd think we were very self absorbed.
    Move the course, let us train, have some fun, drink beers together after wards.:drunk:
    I agree with Alison, call the Forest Service if you are unhappy with the closure.

PS I think this has become a bucket of worms

9. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Not that I make good time on the VQ, but I did start another thread touching on how to train without the trails--after all, there are several people that come from different areas to do this.

I agree that some may be tempted to poach, to resolve this, perhaps the WS should issue a statement that they will kick anyone out that does this.

And, if it's NOT opposite day, why are my pants on my head? Hmmm? Answer that one, Soul Rider ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
  10. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Not just the Project Rowanda in December, The Silverado Foot Race in Feb...what about both of those?

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I feel they should cancel the event! The reason being is that if there is alot of traffic going through burned areas, that is prime ground for invasive plants to thrive. Such as the black mustard that overruns chino hills, fountain grass ect..... As far as getting you're money back for the adventure pass, well just think of the cost as a way to keep the mountains open. You know contractors are constantly tying to get more work, even it it meant destroying a mountain range.

12. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    RE-route

Anyone that has an idea for a viable re-route that would work please post it or send it to www.warriorssociety.org and contact Chris and give your ideas.

13. boboso

boboso Getting back on the bike.

Project Manager
    Exactly... as a group we have the same vice. Mountain bikes, outdoors and access. Voice your opinions where is matters, let the groups know your position by speaking up, but perhaps this is not the place. As we found during the AW Canyons RMP we can get along and should discuss.

I have worked and ridden alongside all groups, Warrior, SHARE, Park Ranger, Conservancy. Seemed we all speak the same language and wish the same results.

Same destination, different tracks.

PS - on the "Patrol" issue, I was one of those who helped out when asked to stand by the entrances at Whiting to let people know the park was closed. No entry, not for me or any others. In fact the Ranger let us know, just by the entrances, pass out a flyer, explain situation etc. Amazed at people wanting to "hike" or "bike" into the park, more so by them than the locals who wanted to see or lookie lous.

14. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Vision Quest does 10 laps on Fully Loop; Counting Coup does six. :)

15. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Maybe VQ does 12 loops up Cholla down Lynx; CC does 8.

ODB~I like your humor!!!

:wave:

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Vision Quest does 10 laps on Fully Loop; Counting Coup does six. [​IMG]
    That would work! They could also Hurkey creek to Thomas mountain 2 times

17. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    This is the reroute I posted yesterday.

CC - Start at usual finish, up Holy Jim, left at top to Upper Holy Jim, down UHJ, MD to Trabuco, down Trabuco, up W. Horsethief, left on MD back to down HJ.

VQ riders - when reach top of Trabuco, go left down to Blue Jay, do upper loop of SJT, then back up to Trabuco, down Trabuco, up W. Horsethief, left on MD then back down HJ.

All open area. Lots of ST.

18. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

trust me, if I ever poach a trail it sure as hell won't be Yuckstar to the Motorway.

19. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Whatever the route the first climbs (X hours) must be on fireroad. If you start climbing on singletrack a jam-up and temper tantrums are inevitable.

20. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Wrecker, don't worry, the WS has a much more liberal policy on thinning the ranks already in place.:-k