Can O Worms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CPATCRASH, Nov 19, 2007.

1. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    OK. Here goes. Having been a past member of a certain bike club and having respect for what they have done in the past I am now wondering.

How does everyone feel about the Cleveland National Forest allowing the VQ to go on as planed? It feels like a slap in the face to me. I pay my taxes and have a adventure pass yet I am denied access.

The forest is closed so the land can repair itself but it's OK to let over 300 people race through it. Also what about all the additional support it would require. I think out of respect for the land they should give it a year off.

Sounds like it's all about the money to me!

2. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Ohh oHH u did go there ehh!!8-[ u're gonna get it for this one!!:lol: I give ya credit for saying something.

in many ways I feel your pain and agree to some point!! :?:

Will It make a difference?:-k time will tell:beer:

3. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    IT'S STILL ON??!!!!

I didn't even think twice about it going to be on, I'd think It'd be closed for sure, or that they'd find another course up here in the Mountains above Rancho.

4. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    They already granted the permit, and I thought I had read back when the forests were closed right after the fires that they were allowing groups with special permits to do what they had already agreed to let them do.

If you're talking about allowing people to ride the routes planned, I somewhat agree, because it probably wouldn't be a good thing. But, there are no reroutes that can go on from Blackstar over.

The other thing, is that the forest service probably gets a good amount of money from this event, as does Warrior's Society (non profit org, right?).

If they have to move the event to Aliso or something, I just hope they offer full refunds to those that wanted to do the original course. The only other option is to offer refunds and cancel the event for the year. Anything else wouldn't be Vision Quest.

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Here's a cross post from http://www.socaltrailriders.org/for...95-portions-cleveland-closed-til-11-08-a.html that sums it up:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl [​IMG]
    At this point the Warrior's Society has been given the clearance by the Forestry Service to run the VQ and the CC as scheduled on our same route we use every year. Luckily we had our permits pulled for the event and we do so much work for the Forestry Service they are willing to work with us so we can have our event...Remember, they get proceeds from the event every year and they need them even more this year.

We are in negotiations with them right now to see if we can hold training days that are patrolled so riders can ride the Motorway and Silverado to help train and experience that part of the trail if they don't already know it.

So no excuses...keep training for the VQ and CC!!!!

6. Padre

Padre New Member

Inhuman Resources
    Hmmm...mixed feelings. Seems like if they were ever going to shut us out, this would be the time. Maybe they have the only foot in the door?

7. CPATCRASH

Isn't a annual adventure pass a permit that allows me access to the forest? Am I getting a refund?

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I was curious about that also when they first shut it down, wondering how long it would be closed, cause we just ponied up for an annual pass about 2 weeks before the fires.

Unfortunately there are still a lot of open access points, so I don't think you'll be getting your $$ back :)

9. CPATCRASH

True. But if they cared as much as they say they do I would think out of respect they would let it heal and over look the money.

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Even with those "portions" closed, you would still have access to the rest of Cleveland, Los Padres, Angeles and San Bernadino forest.

11. Shannon

Shannon ........

I also have mixed feelings about the event still being held. The money from the event is obviously needed more than ever for the Forestry Service. However, allowing hundreds of riders to ride through an area they have deemed in need of rehabilitation seems a bit hypocritical, permit or no permit. If the money is an issue, perhaps the Warriors Society could have a fund raiser instead. Raise the money that would have come in for the VQ/CC and donate that to the Forestry Service, then post pone the event until next year when the trails are open to everyone for training and racing purposes. The WS are great at what they do as far as organizing events, etc. I'm sure they will come up with a responsible and reasonable solution.

12. g.c.

g.c. og

Master of my domain, king of the castle
    As a former advocate, I think it is wrong that they are running the event in the forest, not only for access issues (access for all, which the WS preaches) but also for the sheer purpose of an advocacy group doing right for the trails (don't hurt the dirt).

Buck up little injuns and move your event to a more appropriate place. The forest should be closed to all users and not open to special interests whether they be the Sierra Club, bike clubs, horsey groups, 4x4 communities etc.

How pissed would you be if the forest was closed and the Sierra Club was able to hold thier Oatmeal Quest Birkenstock hike but you couldn't ride it?

My guess would be pretty pissed.

13. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I don't believe the forest should be closed in the first place.

14. slowSSer

slowSSer ali'i hua

Project Scientist
    i think you're correct here.

Shannon has some good ideas:

the hypocritical part is indeed the main point. for all the work that Chris and the WS has done to keep us on these trails, it would be a shame to screw up the work done to date.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Did they not just allow a running event to take place up and over the peak in the last few weeks? I thought I read something about it in the OCRegister sports page.

16. PacMan

PacMan New Member

I think it's stupid to close the trails anyway. This morning I rode my home trails in Fallbrook for the first time since the fires. They were completely torched--it was like riding on Mars. I barely recognized the area.

The actual trail itself was in great condition. I see no reason to close trails if that is indicative of the condition of other fire ravaged trails.

That being said, if a trail is closed, it should be closed to everyone, prior permit or not.

Just one jerk's opinion.:beer:

17. CPATCRASH

The trails they ran were not in the closed areas. I also heard that they left crap all over the place and didn't clean up when they left.

18. g.c.

g.c. og

Master of my domain, king of the castle

Agreed, they shouldn't have let that event take place either if it was in the burn areas, especially since that is a for profit entity.

19. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Here's my thoughts on this;

Blackstar is open, but from Beek's to the Motorway, down the Motorway, and up Maple Springs is closed.
    Harding is closed, but is not part of the route.

Change the route!

There are enough options to use, to keep the route just as or even more challengeing, as the current route.
    If the need to get a new permit to use a differnt route would be an issue, and if re-routing the event is not an opption, the I'd say postpone it until it re-opens.

If allowing certain groups to use the closed areas, just because they have a "permision slip"...........

"Luckily we had our permits pulled for the event and we do so much work for the Forestry Service they are willing to work with us so we can have our event...Remember, they get proceeds from the event every year and they need them even more this year.

We are in negotiations with them right now to see if we can hold training days that are patrolled so riders can ride the Motorway and Silverado to help train and experience that part of the trail if they don't already know it."

Then to me, that's just being hypocritical, and wrong.

Believe me, I do my own share of taking care of those trails, and I do not feel like I should have to pay $100 to ride in an event, to be able to ride them.

20. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I think the closed section of the Forest should be open only to members of the Warriors Society. That is what is going to happen anyway as they patrol the area to keep the rest of us out.

Dean