Can front XTR hub be converted from 15mm thru axle to 9mm QR???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by marshal, Jul 11, 2013.

1. marshal

marshal New Member

I raise gophers :)
    Came across a deal on a nice XTR wheelset. Front hub (both hubs are Shimano XTR) is a 15mm thru axle - my RS Fork uses the standard 9mm QR skewer. I'm wondering if the hub can be easily modded to use the QR. Can the experienced, knowledgeable MTB people please let me know. Hopefully, it's something that can be done to the hub, easily and inexpensively... I won't jump on this if I'd need to replace the hub or spend a lot of money. Thanks in advance!

2. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    You can't convert any Shimano front hub that I know of. You'd have to replace the hub (and likely spokes), or get a different fork.

3. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

[​IMG]

You can try the Mavic 15TA to QR adapter, pictured above.

I was curious, so I researched it and found some posts like this:

As for how inexpensive it is, PricePoint lists them for $7.90 (Source). I'm exactly not sure how easily they install (on non-Mavic hubs), but I wouldn't be surprised if opening all the packaging was the hardest part of installation.

4. glattime

glattime Member

5. marshal

marshal New Member

Many thanks. I appreciate the replies. I've decided to pass on these wheels.

6. tortoise

tortoise Member

---

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  7. PenguinDude

PenguinDude New Member

Yes, it can be done! I'm running a set of XTR M985 wheels with a 15mm front hub on a Fox 9mm qr fork.

Get this adaptor
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Bike-15mm-Thru-Axle-to-9mm-Quick-Release-Wheel-Adapter-/251073168246

G
    et a 9mm quick release (note: this is different than your standard skewer)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-RWS-Aluminum-Thru-Bolt-Skewer

I
    was previously running some wheels with XT hubs and quick release qr's and have found the 9mm quick release to be a noticeably stiffer setup. The front end tracks much better while climbing up steep switchbacks and feels more stable on the downhills.

8. marshal

marshal New Member

Thanks for this info! Sure seems like a good conversion, especially with you sharing your personal experience, with the same pieces. Based on this, I think I may take a shot at doing this, with the next opportunity I have to try it.

9. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

[​IMG]

Scan of a German bike mag test, comparing rear 12mm thru axle, 10mm thru bolt, and various QR skewers. Hopefully people here can get the gist of it without understanding German. Those DT thru bolts aren't cheap. I figured this post might lead ya from spending too much, when you can just use a set of trusty Shimano QR skewers. Tell us about that legendary Shimano XTR hub smooth spinning when you get 'em.

10. marshal

marshal New Member

There IS a less expensive alternative to what PenguinDude posted. The same Ebay seller of the adapter posted by PenguinDude also sells an adapter that uses the smaller (more standard?) 5mm skewer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251073161488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. Apparently then you can just use any front skewer, but without the extra strength that is gained by a larger DT Swiss RWS Aluminum Thru-Bolt Skewer in 9mm.

11. PenguinDude

PenguinDude New Member

I think that you can't go wrong either way. I've purchased a headset press and the hub adaptor from that seller and thought both items were of good quality. The Dtswiss quick release was quite expensive but I decided to spring for it to see if it would stiffen up my fork any. I was planning on upgrading my fork to one with a 15mm bolt but now I am much happier with the stiffness of the fork. Good luck with the upgrades! I think those XTR wheels kick ass and 26" parts can be found for such great deals now.