Camelbak/Hydration Packs Review(merged)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ryandood, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Jutty

Jutty STR Lurker

Manufacturing/IT
    What/where is Tani's??

2. FlynRide

FlynRide New Member

Oh Sorry.....The Path bike shop in Tustin. You'll have to wait for the next sale though!!

3. emejay

emejay most annoying avatar

dentist
    I've used mine for years, and prefer it over my old school Camelback Hawg..I am interested in the Wingnut too.

4. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Camelback Recommendation?

I have a 75oz camelback, which I've been using for years, and have no complaints with it for everyday riding. It is, however, a bit tall and thin... so it never really feels secure on my back, despite the chest strap. Because it's a longer shape, the bottom of the pack is not really supported (no lower/waist strap) so it goes all over the place when I throw my body weight around.

I've seen shorter, wider camelbacks and even used one in the past, but not sure if they still make them. I've looked in a few local bike shops, but everyone seems to be carrying my current style, or the BIG 100+ oz mega packs. I do not need a larger pack.

Has anyone purchased a squatter-shaped, race-day type pack recently? If so, any reviews? Model name?

Thanks.

5. TreeTopMike

TreeTopMike New Member

Ive got a 100 oz. Lobo that i really like. ...not too big, but big enough to make a pack worth carrying. Definitely get a '11 model. It has the baffle in the res. and the 1/4 turn cap, which i really like.

6. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

I like the osprey raptor series. They are really technical and offer some very awesome features.

7. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    They have a new one called the 24 octane. i have it and it's really nice. super light nylon and it hangs lower on the back and has side pockets (like the wingnut) that are very easy to reach without taking off the pack. perfect for gu and multitool, etc.
    the best part is the storage area. it holds so much stuff. i always have room to spare.

8. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Thanks. I think I'm looking for a 70oz though. I have never seen a 100oz pack that I consider smallish and race-friendly.

I saw this pack on Camelbak's site:
    XTC model
    ...but I suspect it may be geared for trail runners, rather than bikers?

9. joekilabot

joekilabot Member

Overqualified Underachiever
    +1 on Osprey packs. The most awesome bladder in the market IMO.

10. speckledtrout

actor

That's kind of the idea behind the octane 24 but this version is obviously much more streamlined. I've seen that pack on other sites and they mention that it should be used for trail running and cycling. The Path would probably order you one if you called them.

11. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    Thanks. I kind of wanted to use it this Saturday (April 2).... so I might have to turn to the dreaded REI to find local stock, if necessary.

12. QiKss

QiKss Marcy Ranch Crip

Attached Files:

13. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    I see the octane 24 is 100oz, but they have a smaller 70oz octane, as well. Do you have any experience with either? The 24 appears to look like it's similar in size to a standard blowfish-type model.... at least from the internets.

14. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

The Lobo, although older design, works well for anything less than 3 hours. I also have a Hydrapak Big Sur that is very light and can carry more stuff. I've been looking at the Raptors because their design looks so nice -- lots of room, but compact.

There is a company called Deuter that makes a sub-1-pound pack that may fit your needs. It's a 2-Liter that can fit a 3-Liter bladder, but doesn't have much storage.

15. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    With respect to the new-fangled "water-in-the-hips" designs that camelbak has: Has anyone tried one of these on a long race? Sometimes the smallest annoyances turn HUGE, 3 hours into a ride.

16. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

FYI - Hydro Lite 2.0 is the model I am referring to. Good Luck finding a new pack.

17. Greengiant

Greengiant Steady diet of dirt

I issue building permits in Palo Alto!
    I have the LOBO, which is a pretty good pack for even a longer than 3 hour ride unless: the weather/temps change drastically and you want to carry some extra gear, or if you like to carry any other food on a ride besides Gu's, shot blox or bars. Plenty of room for the basics, but not much else.

Functionally, I liked the LOBO, but no longer use it because I found the women's specific L.U.X.E suited me better.

18. BC3

BC3 New Member

Consulting
    Something to consider

One thing to keep in mind is the difference in where you carry the weight for biking compared to running. The Octane is specifically designed for runners with the lumbar bladder. The weight is in the bottom and belt wings of the pack. Runners prefer the weight to be low and carried predominately by the belt, leaving the back and arms free to move. Biking specific packs tend to carry the water weight in the center of your back where it is more secure during movements like cornering and other exaggerated weight-shifts. At 70oz the Classic (streamline, minimalist) or Rogue (additional storage capacity) are great options.

I run the Lobo and usually only fill it to 50-70oz. It's the perfect 2-3 hour pack with enough water and storage for bars and tools. I've removed the waist strap and it fits comfortably and securely with just the sternum strap.

19. speckledtrout

actor
    I haven't noticed my octane 24 moving around or shifting when riding and I only keep it lightly buckled at my waist. Granted, the one mojo is looking at is a different design. i know quite a few fellas here on this site that use the wingnut and like it because the weight is lower down and less stressful on their shoulders and backs on long rides. everyone's different, of course. my Mule is uncomfortable to me. too bulky. too heavy. not enought storage for pads/etc. but I know tons who love them. :?:

20. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX