Road Ride Cajon to Crestline?

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by Chewyeti, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Scoping out a bigger ride... for when it cools down a little.

Basically, start at the 15 fwy and the 138. Go up the 138 (east) to summit, go past silverwood lake, keep rolling the 138 climb UP into crestline, and then drop down the 18 to san berdoo and then shuttle a few miles back to devore.

Any thoughts?

2. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Just ride it! the only portion that you can't ride is between cleghorn and the 138. about a .5mile section. Just park a car at the McDonalds and one at the cleghorn area and good to go! Or just ride the bike on the side of the freeway and hop the fence behind the CHP truck scales!!!!!

Or you can always HAB on the RR tracks and get back on the 138.......

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Yeah, its only the 1 exit stretch where the truck scales are.....

50-60 miles on Google earth. Not sure on the climb. Definitely looks like a fun route.

Attached Files:

4. Jay

Jay Round is a lifestyle.

Whatever pays the bills
    From what I can tell that is between 40 and 50 miles and a large amount of the climbing will be done in the car. Was this your intent? Also, the 138 has very little shoulder and is quite twisty....could make a large amount of close calls.

5. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Just a slight shuttle....

More than a few miles, not to mention the lack of a Shoulder and the way I like to drive that route (mach 2). Pioneer town, or looping Lancaster/Wrightwood is safer. That side of the Berdoos is more fun taking the dirt road up to Arrowhead and dropping back down kenwood? (OHV before Cleghorn).

Just do Onyx (breathless agony) already and get it over with. :lol:

6. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

If you are looking for interesting road rides in that area I'd stay away from 138 east of I-15. It'd be fantastic if there was no traffic, but it's narrow and twisty with minimal shoulder and significant traffic. If you could ride it mid-week after rush hour it might be OK. Weekends, forget about it.

I've ridden from Claremont over to Sierra Ave, up Glen Helen/Devore Rd to Cajon Blvd/Route 66 and it's all relatively safe and scenic since most tend to drive I-15 instead of the back roads. You'd also find great riding around Wrightwood and Highway 2 right now since Angeles Crest is closed on the west side.

Take fatter tires or cyclocross bikes and you can connect all that stuff using the vast network of dirt roads. Super fun exploring back there.

7. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me

Here's a sick idea...... do it on the SS. Then you can ride the RR tracks and connect back onto the 138.......#-o

8. davidB

davidB Active Member

Looks horrible but i'd do it.

They really need to open up hwy 2. Really itching to do wrightwood to newcombs ranch and back.

9. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    I've done this once, and the shoulder/traffic makes it too dangerous for my comfort.

I've got a different route that is a K/A road ride off the 138 & Pearblossom. Much less traffic...

I've been itchin' to do this so PM me if there is any interest.

10. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I looked into riding from Pasadena to Arrowhead a while ago. The plan was to ride up and spend the weekend with friends at their cabin on the lake. I was going to ride on the 15 through the section with no other roads. I did some research and understood that section of the 15 is rideable, just like the 5 through Pendleton.

I am interested in riding the 138. If I had a CX bike or 25-28 tires the 173 would be a blast too.

11. ericfoltz

ericfoltz Active Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    The ride up Old 66 from Devore is pretty bad. The pavement has really hideous expansion cracks most of the way.

The jump on the I-15 at Cleghorn to the 138 isn't bad at all.

12. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
    There are actually a bunch of different routes. The hardest part right now is that HWY 138 going towards Silverwood from the 15 is closed for road reconfiguration. I ride a route from Silverwood to Arrowhead a few times a month. Really fun and actually pretty well maintained. Once across Arrowhead/Crestline, there are only two options.

HWY 330 to the Mill Creek Ranger station. The other is down HWY 18 itself - not a safe bet in my book. Either way, you can either ride back to Devore via surface streets or just have a shuttle vehicle at either point. If you're really ballsey, you can ride to Big Bear and back down HWY 18 into the Lucerne Valley and back....

I'll see if I can dig out a GPS map file for one of the rides. The climbing itself isn't that bad along HWY 138. It's hardly used during the week. The weekends...that's a different story.

13. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Yep, hoping for a weekday or waiting until the lake crowd thins, and before the snow hits.....

The 138 would be sketchy on the way to summit. after that fairly wide open.

Jay - no cars... all pedal.

14. ghixon

ghixon Look Ma - No hands!

Sales
  15. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    As most my roadie friends will attest to I have nerves of steel when riding the road but I did this route from the i-15 to Silverwood and I will never do it again. To many close calls and even the CHP stopped to ask if I wanted a lift off this hwy. I declined as I only had a mile or two to go but had it been much further I would have. Way to dangerous. I was put into the sand on 3 different occasions. Here's a route I'm going to do as soon as it cools down a little....

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Crystal-Lake-Cajon-Pass

Just over a century and 10,000 feet of climbing.

16. Jslow

Jslow stipend of maltliquor

plenty of dirt options for this... may be part of an upcomming november tour?

starting over by pasadena ending up at the beach in da oc... 3 days only 3 big climbs with small up/downhills to add to the flavor.

I better start riding more or it will always be just a thought in the back of my head.

17. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    I am almost interested in doing this. Almost.

I can testify that the route from the junction of 39 & Hwy 2 to Wrightwood is simply beautiful. Other than scattered rocks here and there, the road is sweet (freshly paved) with very little traffic. One of my favorite road routes.